The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Solutions

A thread was just taken down by COTH. That measure won't stop speculation but that's irrelevant to this post. Just as govt. needs to simplify, so do drug rules. Ban all injections at a horse show unless given by a show vet. Bute, banamine,robaxcin,can all be given orally in USEF approved doses. If one must, allow a non-vet injection of banamine in the event of a colic episode and no vet handy. Otherwise, if all injections have to be handled by a show vet, billed by that vet, provided by that vet, paperwork handled by that vet.....,well I know this will be wildly unpopular but if you over show your equine, if you can't train your horses and riders without chemical re-enforcements, then the qualifiers for next years Devon might look quite different. Just an idea. I know it won't ever happen, but it sure would be nice.

While I do think that drug rules and consequences regarding drugs need a total overhaul, I don't think that having Big Brother watch every injection given is the solution. Eek.

Purepony, you read my mind. Show people as a group deserve to lose the privilege of carrying sharp objects. When the FEI went to zero tolerance and implemented their Big Brother system I was concerned at the time. Now I find it utterly relaxing to say, hey Dr. Soule, Poledropper needs his Legend on Thursday and know that it will be professionally administered. And we must find a way to have the vets who are useless in a colic but all over you with the performance enhancers to be disbarred from the show grounds. It is up to us to end this frigging farce.

Isn't that the protocol they follow at the racetrack?

That doesn't seem to have eliminated the detrimental use of drugs on racehorses.

It would also make showing even more expensive if exhibitors have to pay a vet to administer every single injection.

I really think that this is the direction the sport needs to move in. Do any of you all follow racing? The injections and medications given to racehorses are staggering, anything to improve performance. Now, fans and the public are sick of it and the racing world is being forced to change the way they do things.

I think that the h/j industry has a choice--to develop more stringent rules, police itself more thoroughly and change judging to penalize animals that have a drugged appearance. OR, I think that outsiders are going to find out what goes on and I think that our sport is going to receive tremendous bad press in the process of having change forced upon it from the outside.

I'm not sure that involving vets is a total solution, goodness knows that some of the injectable formulas on the market were developed by vets specifically to help people cheat/circumvent the rules and there are definitely plenty of shady vets out there. But it would be a step in the right direction. Personally, I think that there are so many oral forms of NSAIDS that work great that I think that IV NSAIDS should not be allowed. No steroids should be allowed, including dex.

I disagree with the moderator's decision to remove the thread. I'm sorry, but the death of a reasonably well known horse/pony at a show grounds is not only newsworthy, but very legitimately worthy of discussion. From my own perspective, I responded on that thread because I feel very strongly both about the welfare of horses and the reputation of this sport that I participate in. I'm sure that many other participants on this bulletin board feel the same way.

Yes, horses dying at show grounds brings a lot of negative attention to our sport and a lot of negative attention to the people involved. However, covering up the death of a horse/pony is much worse. When something bad happens, the responsible thing to do is to analyze what happened so that we can improve our sport and improve the safety of horses and riders. I'm very skeptical at this point that any facts regarding this case are ever going to come out.