The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Butet Close Contact Tree Size

I'm on the hunt for a used saddle. I ride a TB/QH cross with fairly high withers and wide shoulders. Nearby tack store looked at the tracing I did and suggested that I needed a medium-wide to wide tree. However, I'm not sure how accurate my tracing was and I'd rather buy a medium tree seeing as how I ride a variety of other horses almost as much as my own. I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to saddle fitting, but I know a 'medium' tree varies slightly depending on the brand. I'm looking at a Butet and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the tree sizes. Here are some pictures if it would help:

http://imgur.com/a/6nUto

Thanks!

P.S. Does anyone have opinions on buying saddles on eBay without trying them and then re-selling them if it doesn't work out? Like a "trial period," if you will?

Butet's seem to me that they are super versatile. But I also have seen 3 different medium tree Butet's all fit very differently. I had used a medium for the longest time and it was close to fitting everyone except my horse. So I got a wide and it fits my guy like a dream and he's 17.2 and I've also put it on 14.2 arabs and it's fit them too. From what I've seen though is that its a saddle to saddle basis as opposed to a tree to tree basis.

Great. Thanks for the reply!

The Tack Room in Camden, SC has a NICE used one. I was just in there on Monday.

I have been told they are all a medium tree, and what changes to fit the horse is the panels. Zis ees ze Franch way.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.