The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

flower power- its good that IYD was stating her views, and explaining why she didnt do it. but do you see her asking their opinions? do you see her trying to absorb knowledge?

another thing how do you see it as a quick fix? To me, longing isn't a quick fix [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (Assuming you mean it is a quick fix by longing a horse before you ride, or using a training tool-which I never use...) I never longe a horse before I ride him unless he is a clients horse and is dangerous to get on without expending excess energy first. Through the training, the need to longe before riding becomes less and less.

For myself and experienced individuals that I have known and worked with, longing isn't to be used before riding to 'calm a horse down,' it is used as a way to build back muscles on a horse without the added stress of a rider, to exercise a horse when there isnt enough time to ride, or exercise a horse coming back from an injury that isn't ready for a rider. What abou getting a two year old used to saddle? There are many useful jobs for longing, in my eyes, the ones I named are just a few.

I am interested in how you view it is a quick fix.

AQHA and TB clique member, and founding member of the Pony Clique! Nothing Beats Ponies!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sawbuckaussies
    some pics up, but under construction!

I have a dumb blonde question. What does "NH" Stand for?? It is used all over and "I" cant find a meaning.......

*~Charity*~
    *~My Best Effort*~
    Member of GA & CASG clique
    *~Charity*~
    *~My Best Effort*~

Natural Horsemanship - that is, someone training in the style of John Lyons, Tom Dorrance, et al. Often but not always including round-pen work.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

natural horsemanship...but my hand isn't over the Bible.

AQHA and TB clique member, and founding member of the Pony Clique! Nothing Beats Ponies!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sawbuckaussies
    some pics up, but under construction!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jubilee220:
    flower power- its good that IYD was stating her views, and explaining why she didnt do it. but do you see her asking their opinions? do you see her trying to absorb knowledge?

another thing how do you see it as a quick fix? To me, longing isn't a quick fix [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (Assuming you mean it is a quick fix by longing a horse before you ride, or using a training tool-which I never use...)

... ... ...

I am interested in how you view it is a quick fix.

AQHA and TB clique member, and founding member of the Pony Clique! Nothing Beats Ponies!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*I* don't see it as a quick fix, and I do lunge my horse. But I know some top level trainers DO see it as a quick fix, in fact MOST of the horse people I'm around NEVER lunge. I do think she was asking for advice and I don't know whether she is trying to absorb knowledge or not - and I don't think that should be a requirment. I'm not trying to argue or pick sides, I just read the post and thought everyone was over reacting to what she said. I don't know if she went back and changed posts or not, but I don't see any of the 'this post was edited' messages. But if she did, maybe that means she has absorbed some knowledge or maybe it means she didn't mean it the way people took it. It is difficult to get a point across in writing I think, it is easy to offend when you don't mean to. I am just giving her the benefit of the doubt like I hope I am given whem I am posting. If she is 'stirring the pot' and trying to upset people, in my view, she is doing a mighty poor job of it. She seems to be trying to word things carefully to NOT irratate people.

~Chestnut Mare Extraordinaire~

Altho I am brand new to this forum I see that as in any general population discussion, there are a magnitude of differences of opinions and varying shcools of thought...I sought this particular thread out, as I mentioned earlier, because my horse and myself have been "out of circuit" for about two years do to an ongoing battle of my own physical illness. I can only base my thoughts on how my own body is responding to increased physical activity and useage...which leads me to reconize that my darlin', JJ is also probably gonna be slower to come back into shape, even tho he has had full pasture range of six to tten acres or space to stay active in. This is why I chose to "pick the brains" of those who have been active, and probably more experienced thatn I in bringing US back to "life". I have riddden and learned and lessoned in all areas of horsemanship since I was 8 years old...and I am no spring chicken now with two kids in college and one more just a few years behind. I would encourage Andrea to accept the info she receives here with grace and graditude...take what works and store the rest for future possibilities. I would also encourage those of you who are frustrated with her "defiance" and "additude " to remember that if she accepts your advice, terrific...if not, it is her loss. I am sure that since she is at a barn whith other horsey people, her babies are probably fairly safe and well taken care of, even if she does make mistakes. Remember, we all have and do...But know that I don't "approve" of her haughty reactions to the advice and responses..none of us deserve to treat each other that way, especially if we are asking for advie! I knowthis is lon-winded...and I am not saying anything much more thatn you all have already said; except that as a newcomer I am anxious to hear positive thoughts and ideas, not bashing. I have had previous experience on a dressage forum and often found it frustrating when personalities clashed...I mean the whole idea is for us to share with one another and help each other out, right? If anyone has any more info for Midnight (JJ) and I please don't hesitate to share it. Horses are my passion, my lifeforce...they and my children are what kept me fighting a lifethreatening and crippling disease. The doctors thought I may not eer walk again only last January...and I am able to mount my 17'1 TB (who is the best friend in the world) today and ride( well, walk for a while and even manage a slw, sitting trot for a bit). Let's stop the bashing and get on wiht sharing and supporting..Ok? And Andrea, you sound as though you ARE fairly knowledgeble, know your horse, and care a great deal...your greatest challege is not how you ride, or what you do but what you are willing to try. My best to you and your babies...Stay with it and don't give up!

Midnight's Momma..and Bella(the mustang)...and Jake ,the Beautiful Belgiun gentle giant.
    ~~~~~ \"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.\" Albert Einstein

Please forgive my typing errors and the longevity of my post. I do not presume to know everything about the "family" here...just what I have read from most of the previous posts and the thread of the conversations. I will re-check my typing before I send from now on as my fingers do not yet go where I ask them all the time and I tend to get lazy before pushing that "send" button. A VERY special friend and close person to me recommended and set me up on this forum and I thank each and everyone of you for your interesting information and thoughts. Thankyou "FreedomsBlue" for a way to reconnect to the wonderful world of special people, those blessed with the love of horses, without having to leave the farm! Again, my best to you all. Midnight's Momma and "Family"
    ~~~~~ \"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.\" Albert Einstein

Just a little note- you can actually go back and edit your original post, if you notice typos or spelling errors.
    Have fun on the boards [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*EMMA*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emma MHC:
    Just a little note- you can actually go back and edit your original post, if you notice typos or spelling errors.
    Have fun on the boards [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*EMMA*
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Psstt... Midnight's Momma is MY momma too!!

heheheh

Sarah

"Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping."~ Julius Hare
    ________
    Sarah
    formerly known as Alohamora
    \"Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one\'s horse as he is leaping.\"~ Julius Hare

It looks like, from the pictures, that the horses in question are pretty well cared for. Who cares if she doesn't like longeing?

Read thru 9 pages of this thread and have to admit i feel both irritated by and sympathetic for IYD. IYD, you seem like a hard headed ambitious kid- I hope you find a trainer you canwork with (and that can work with you) eventually, because otherwise you will have to rely on self criticism(which seems to be in short supply) and as they say of the school of hard knocks, a fool will learn in no other. However, it sounds like you're working with a NH trainer now, and it does seem unfair that those who have been flaming you for not being able to work with someone should be flaming you for beleiving your trainers opinions of lunging.I train horses and teach people, and it is sometimes surprising to hear from a studenttheir condensed version of your philosophy. BBers- argue with the trainer- don't take it out on the kid. I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of lunging- I use it when i'm breaking a horse or checking one for lameness, but thats it. A lot of emphasis has been placed on the benefits of CORRECT lunging, but thats certainly not something your going to be able to pick up off the internet. Its sort of like groind driving- it works great for some people, but its not something that you can give someone a blueprint of and have them go home and be anything but dangerous. The fitness thing- I wouldn't show a horse who 'd been back in work a week- whats the point- but there is a lot of difference in bring back a lay up from a leg problem, and starting up a turned out horse who had an abcess.
    I guess my last point is twofold and basically about politeness- I havent been doing the internet thing for a long time, but it seems to me like talking a stranger in a tack store. If they ask for advice, give it honestly. If they say something that calls for comment, comment without making ad hominem arguments.
    I guess this is the second fold of that point- How many of us would have been as quick to jump on IYD if she wasn't 14? I admit that one of my first response to one of her other threads was"i'd like to smack that child", but honestly, thats not my or any of our jobs.
    Good luck and continued learning, IYD&gt;

Those special moments come and go...a photographer makes them last a lifetime!

Forgive me for not reading the entire 9 pages of this...reading 3-4 was enough for me. I don't know what has been said...be it positive or negative.
    HOWEVER, I do know that 9 pages is a bit MUCH for a topic like this.
    I think the whole idea was for her to get an idea of what others thought of the "mares" conformation. Instead it's completely turned into a Love/Hate relationship. Well, I guess I can hardley say love.
    I can't believe I'm actually posting to this again.
    Is is just me or is this OLD NEWS [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]????????? Possibly just my hormones speakin'...who knows [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Nat

***2weeks to go and counting~WHOO HOO***and my unborn child already has her spurs on....OUCH!!!
    www.kimballphotography.smugmug.com
    ~*~Mom of the wonderful Nikolas aka \"Niko\"~*~
    **Proud member of The Colorful blinb-bling helmet, SCgirls, BGSGand the EquinePhotog (do we have one yet?) cliques**