The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Well, I do want to update everyone on what has happened in the last couple of months. This was actually supposed to be long....but my computer decided to get offline when I was about to post it the first time so this is the short version.

First Things First- The trainer situation ended. We are still on good terms....but I want a trainer that will be there for me through good and bad.....not a fairweather friend. One day, when I can listen and accept criticism, I will find another one.

High School is fun, and I am kept on a tight schedule between homework/cross country/horses. But nothing cuts into anything else..and thats the way I will keep it. Dropping horses is not an option anymore....I thought about it long and hard...and I don't want "high school life" to take the place of my equine friends.

Josie has been a "wonder" horse. The first few weeks I worked with her on hills, her weak side, getting used to leg, and scary things such as trees.(never been on trails) She took everything in stride(literally) and has never reared, bucked, or been rude. After working in the small arena for awhile, walking/trotting, and doing Natural Horsemanship ground work, we moved to the inner racetrack. That brought back bad memories the first day, but there was no where else to ride, and she needed to be out there. She got used to it and is now walk/trotting/cantering/and jumping small 2ft flower boxs and gates. Nothing scares her. I can ride her on a loose rein(now), and if I ask her to collect she does. Her stearing is amazing for an xracehorse. Everyone has said her attitude has changed, and is happy with me...which is the best compliment I could ever ask for. I love working with her.

Dream got 3 months off completly. I did not even touch him. He needed that 3 months badly and if it was up to me he would be out 3 more. The vet found an abcess(actually 2) and they were HUGE! He was barefoot and lame for about a month and 1/2. The vet said about 1 week ago he was ready for glue ons and recommended that we used a certain farrier. We called the farrier and she said that she gurantees*(wow) her shoes to stay on!!! So he got them...and is completly sound. She also said to ride him to get the blood flowing again.

Since I was going to show Josie today, so I brought Dream along. He was a great influence and ended up High Point Champion for the hunters. Josie got a 2nd and a 4th in her two classes and was such a good girl. MY NH trainer is going to come appraise her this week and tell us how much we should offer. I hope Randy accepts. I have never had so much fun with horses. Josie has really brought me down to earth and I don't worry about eventing at high levels, rated shows, and other stuff like that anymore. I just want to work with my two greenies.

One day, I will get a trainer, when I can listen. Right now, I am doing fine on my own, with the help of my NH trainer.

Thanks Everyone. Please tell me what you think of Josie. The first picture is of her working at home.

**~~Andrea and Dreamer~~**
    A short saying often contains much wisdom.
    - Sophocles (c. 450 B.C.E.) (IHFLC-Founder)
    Drea

Well, I do want to update everyone on what has happened in the last couple of months. This was actually supposed to be long....but my computer decided to get offline when I was about to post it the first time so this is the short version.

First Things First- The trainer situation ended. We are still on good terms....but I want a trainer that will be there for me through good and bad.....not a fairweather friend. One day, when I can listen and accept criticism, I will find another one.

High School is fun, and I am kept on a tight schedule between homework/cross country/horses. But nothing cuts into anything else..and thats the way I will keep it. Dropping horses is not an option anymore....I thought about it long and hard...and I don't want "high school life" to take the place of my equine friends.

Josie has been a "wonder" horse. The first few weeks I worked with her on hills, her weak side, getting used to leg, and scary things such as trees.(never been on trails) She took everything in stride(literally) and has never reared, bucked, or been rude. After working in the small arena for awhile, walking/trotting, and doing Natural Horsemanship ground work, we moved to the inner racetrack. That brought back bad memories the first day, but there was no where else to ride, and she needed to be out there. She got used to it and is now walk/trotting/cantering/and jumping small 2ft flower boxs and gates. Nothing scares her. I can ride her on a loose rein(now), and if I ask her to collect she does. Her stearing is amazing for an xracehorse. Everyone has said her attitude has changed, and is happy with me...which is the best compliment I could ever ask for. I love working with her.

Dream got 3 months off completly. I did not even touch him. He needed that 3 months badly and if it was up to me he would be out 3 more. The vet found an abcess(actually 2) and they were HUGE! He was barefoot and lame for about a month and 1/2. The vet said about 1 week ago he was ready for glue ons and recommended that we used a certain farrier. We called the farrier and she said that she gurantees*(wow) her shoes to stay on!!! So he got them...and is completly sound. She also said to ride him to get the blood flowing again.

Since I was going to show Josie today, so I brought Dream along. He was a great influence and ended up High Point Champion for the hunters. Josie got a 2nd and a 4th in her two classes and was such a good girl. MY NH trainer is going to come appraise her this week and tell us how much we should offer. I hope Randy accepts. I have never had so much fun with horses. Josie has really brought me down to earth and I don't worry about eventing at high levels, rated shows, and other stuff like that anymore. I just want to work with my two greenies.

One day, I will get a trainer, when I can listen. Right now, I am doing fine on my own, with the help of my NH trainer.

Thanks Everyone. Please tell me what you think of Josie. The first picture is of her working at home.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00854.JPG 
Views:	913 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	6847  
    Drea

She still is trying to find out what to do with her legs over the jump..this is one of her first jumps.

Name:	DSC00890.JPG 
Views:	783 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	8717  
    Drea

Showing Inhand Today .... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Name:	DSC00932.JPG 
Views:	717 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	5045  
    Drea

Last One Of The Josie.....I showed her under "Insatiable" today. It really does fit her.

Name:	DSC00930.JPG 
Views:	648 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	6075  
    Drea

I love the flatting picture [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].

**anna**
    *~Proud Founder of the H/J Paints Clique~*
    \"Friends don\'t let friends have mullets.\"

your attitude still sounds a little sour, but I think instead of thinking that "one day, when I am able to listen," you should be thinking, "today, I am going to listen." It actually sounds to me like you have a real affinity for the NH, and that you respect and appreciate your NH Trainer. Nothing is wrong with that! Keep working with him and your horses and see what happens.

My favorite Buddhist saying is "when the student is ready, the teacher will come."

I *so* believe this to be true. You clearly are not ready, but when you are, someone will be there to help you.

Best luck!

Robby

p.s. My niece is named Josie!

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Still definitly not ready. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Here is a picture of Dreamer today.

Name:	DSC00926.JPG 
Views:	591 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	7336  
    Drea

I do have a real appreciation for NH methods, but relize that it can only get you so far.

Name:	DSC00925.JPG 
Views:	563 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	8269  
    Drea

He felt good after 3 months off. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Name:	DSC00923.JPG 
Views:	549 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	8858  
    Drea

I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe I misunderstood. Are you saying your horse has had 3 months off, just got shoes on this week, and you took her to a show already? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

"You might think there would be an explanation for this... but you would be wrong."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jo:
    I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe I misunderstood. Are you saying your horse has had 3 months off, just got shoes on this week, and you took her to a show already? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

_ "You might think there would be an explanation for this... but you would be wrong." _ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm~ That's the impression I got as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]If that's the case, it sure isn't a very fair thing to do to Dreamer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]SUZ

Proud member of the following:
    *Rust TS Clique*SC'ers Clique*EBayers Anon Clique*Group W Bench Clique*Do It Yourself Clique*
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HuntJumpSC:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jo:

_ "You might think there would be an explanation for this... but you would be wrong." _ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm~ That's the impression I got as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]If that's the case, it sure isn't a very fair thing to do to Dreamer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]SUZ

Proud member of the following:
    *Rust TS Clique*SC'ers Clique*EBayers Anon Clique*Group W Bench Clique*Do It Yourself Clique*
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that would not be a nice thing to do would it. I started him back on Monday Walk/Trotting, then moved to walk/trot canter, then on Thursday he went over a couple of fences. Friday was flat work. Saturday was the show and we only did two classes both of which were no higher then 2ft.

*Holding Myself Down Before I Write Something Bad*

Drea

That's still a lot to do with a horse that has been off for three months. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Dressager
    Overseas Clique
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dressager:
    That's still a lot to do with a horse that has been off for three months. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

"You might think there would be an explanation for this... but you would be wrong."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The trainer situation ended. We are still on good terms....but I want a trainer that will be there for me through good and bad.....not a fairweather friend. One day, when I can listen and accept criticism, I will find another one.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome back, Andrea! You show some real honesty and forthrightness admitting that you can't listen and accept criticism right now. And you deserve a round of applause for saying it to this BB.

I see that you're 14; I'm guardian of a just-turned-15-year-old and I have seen her experience the same growing/maturing process. There ARE times when you need to relax and have fun and just be allowed to do things YOUR way, even if it means you make a mistake or two. This is how you learn.

I'm happy to see you haven't lost your enthusiasm for horses and I hope you continue to enjoy the time you spend with them. Good luck and keep us posted!

I like doing things my own way. As you can tell. haha. In the future I will need to listen and accept other methods of riding but for riding greenies my way has worked fine.

I don't want to get in a fight about this. Dreamer is perfectly happy and sound and not sore at all. The only thing that was wrong was one foot had an abcess in it...I made sure it drained and got completly grown out before putting a shoe on and riding. The farrier told me to ride so that is what I did. I would never push my horse just to reinjure him again.

**~~Andrea, Dreamer, Josie~~**
    "If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
    Dick Cavett. (IHFLC-Founder)
    Drea

From reading your other posts a while back, I'd say your attitude has much improved, the first step *is* to admit you need to listen more and that's what you're doing.

Your mare is gorgeous and I would kill for your leg position! And in your pictures of Dream, it is clear that he is as happy and enjoying his job! Good luck with both horses.

Josie and Dream say thanks too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I am working on my attitude, it has changed for the better but is still not 100%. Still plugging away though. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

**~~Andrea, Dreamer, Josie~~**
    "If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
    Dick Cavett. (IHFLC-Founder)
    Drea

Very pretty horses. But a kind suggestion from a judges point of view.... Your horse is very pretty and appealing. When you show in the in hand class a pretty leather halter or bridle would certainly enhance all the hard work you've put in her/him. Shining coat and braids, look wonderful but a lovely finishing touch would be an addition of a leather halter or bridle..... Just from a show judges standpoint..... and one opinion remember!

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.