The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *kinda spinoff* Places kinda North....

Ok this is kinda for fun but may be a little reality to it in the future. Here is some things I would like to have in a new place to live. I m in the south wanting to go a bit north.
    Very mild climate (I live in Fl so...) though I would like some seasons.
    Cheap cost of living (only make about 40k)
    Horsey (must have good trails...I do mostly endurance)
    With in a hour and a half of a major city (for shopping and hospitals and Vet hospitals)
    I thought I wanted out of the one season we seem to have here but still need mild weather and cheaper cost of living if there is such a place.

Erie PA, Cleveland OH, Pittsburgh PA

I live in northern mass near the ocean. About 35 min from boston. About 4hrs to nyc. Close to mountains for hiking. The ocean, of course is a plus.

Mass and PA are not very mild climates. And Cleveland...snowmaggeden territory. I'm guessing you need to look at southern VA and south.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by veetiepony View Post
    I live in northern mass near the ocean. About 35 min from boston. About 4hrs to nyc. Close to mountains for hiking. The ocean, of course is a plus.
    I don't think you could live in Northern MA near the ocean on 40K year. Especially if you expect to have horses in your life.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I focused on the seasons and ability to eat and live indoors. Erie and outlying areas are cheap to live in. $40k is a good salary around them parts. Cleveland doesn't get nearly the snow Erie does.

Mild Climate. Cleveland, in your wildest imagination is not a mild climate. Sounds like she wants a 3 season location. Even in Lexington we have winter. Most years you can ride for most of December and the end of February. 1 1/2 hours to Cincinnati. Cost of living low. Wonderful vets. Some definite cons at least for me, though. Mostly to do with religious bigots, racism and politics.

Colorado!! Where I live is wayyyy cheaper than the east coast. While we have seasons, winter was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated (average high was around 50). LOTS of access to the most amazing trails you can imagine. And pretty much every where on the front range is within 2 hours of Denver (Fort Collins to CO Springs).
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

North of Philly isn't bad Lehigh valley area. we don't typically get a ton of snow, and we're about an hour and a half away from NYC, and an hour from Philly. Lots of horse areas, and state parks and game lands.

Pretty modest to live here, I would say. Not going to find places with tons of acreage, but a small farmette is certainly within reach.

Here's a link to our multi list for all homes and farms
    Www.lvarmls.com

The Southern Pines, NC area would fit your criteria. If you live outside SP in Vass or the like the prices go way down but all the amenities are still right there. 90 minutes or so to Raleigh with great health care services. I'd move there in a heartbeat!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Whoa whoa - except there is no way one can get by on 40K a year - with horses - in Southern Pines. At all.

Another vote for Philly. My friend does endurance, competitively, and is quite happy there.

I got by just fine in Fair Hill area on a bit less than $40K and boarding my horse. Depending on where you live, you may have to trailer a short distance to do a lot of trail riding. I hauled a 10 min drive to get to Fair Hill. I could trail ride behind the property, but the trails were better at Fair Hill.

Philly is about an hour north, Baltimore about an hour south, the businesses of Northern DE are very close. Besides Fair Hill, there are other state parks in PA, DE and MD to choose from and many have boarding available walking distance.

I actually keep my mare on field board across the street from Fair Hill for about $300/month. Full board is about $600/month.

We get all 4 seasons, though some years winter is more mild than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    I got by just fine in Fair Hill area on a bit less than $40K and boarding my horse. Depending on where you live, you may have to trailer a short distance to do a lot of trail riding. I hauled a 10 min drive to get to Fair Hill. I could trail ride behind the property, but the trails were better at Fair Hill.

Philly is about an hour north, Baltimore about an hour south, the businesses of Northern DE are very close. Besides Fair Hill, there are other state parks in PA, DE and MD to choose from and many have boarding available walking distance.

I actually keep my mare on field board across the street from Fair Hill for about $300/month. Full board is about $600/month.

We get all 4 seasons, though some years winter is more mild than others.
    What she said. I board hacking distance from Fairhill and pay $500/month for full board. Nice middle-of-the-road type place with an indoor, nice stalls, and plenty of turn-out.

Hi Guys,
    Thank you for the posts! I should clarify...I am sorry.
    3 seasons would be great! I am not a fan of a lot of snow. Actually I hate snow! I was thinking North as in SC,NC,TN,N.GA and western states?with similar weather.
    Thank you

How about Kentucky??

I spend a bit of time in Lexington and love it.

Real estate is super cheap right now and the cost of living also (perhaps comparatively as I live in Toronto??).
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Kentucky does have winter. Snow (not so much south of Fayette County/Lexington) and ice. And more ice. Lock your horses in the barn for a week ice. Not every year, but often enough. And, Kentucky doesn't have the equipment to deal with snow and ice.
    Last edited by LauraKY; May. 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM.

I'd vote for Kentucky over Philly based on climate...

Tennessee would probably fit the bill, too... pick your city.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Western North Carolina. Maybe not $40k in Polk County (Tryon) but Rutherford County right next door. Mountains, 4 seasons, lots of horse stuff (including endurance and competitive trail in NC, SC, GA and TN, all very easy to trailer to). Asheville 40 minutes away; Charlotte 90 minutes; Atlanta and Charleston about 3.5.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

I kinda like the SE TN,WSC,and W NC. Anyone know the average salaries for public service?

KY, and TN would be cheaper than NC depending on the city. The areas around Asheville, NC are kind of pricey. I think salaries will depend on exactly what you do, the number of years of experience, and if they're hiring right now. Go to retirementliving.com and look at the state tax explanations, or the other where-to-live sites and look at possibilities.

Don't forget to consider utility costs, which can really vary by location, consider areas in other states around where you want to go. For example, Northern Alabama has no tax on retirement income (federal and state pensions), plus the cost of living for property taxes are very low here, but some areas have bad school systems (just like anywhere else, it really varies by locale), and other factors that might make resale on a house a problem. I would rent at first so you can scope the area out.

It is really going to depend on the job market and your career field. And to save money, packing your own stuff can really cut the price of moving, and only go with companies you have referrals to, because there are a lot of rip offs going on these days for moving. You also save big if you do a door-to-door move instead of having to store your stuff in between (unloading, storing, and reload for delivery really make the price go up).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White