The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why Im starting to hate facebook

I joined to catch up with old friends. I have joined a few horse groups and one professional group for my career...I enjoy both of those options.

However, my newsfeed is now continously cluttered with these dang pictures with catchy phrases, or touchy feel good advice/wisdom. Or someone's damn political agenda. I know I need to go through and just start "unfriending" these people. I just don't understand why someone feels it's necessary to post 16-20 caption pictures a day. If I wanted that crap, I could look it up myself. And keep your dang political agendas to yourself.

As I type this I realize it's time to go over to my account and start cleaning house.

Nah, you don't have to unfriend them. But you can hide there stuff from your news feed and they'll never know.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Just hide them from your news feed! Not hard at all.

My personal pet peeve are the things people share, and then post saying "if you really care about me you'll post this as your status. I'll know who my friends really are." Or, if you care about cancer you'll post this as your status. These are middle aged women! Are you kidding me? I NEVER EVER post that sort of thing!

You don't even have to hide them completely.

If you click on the arrow by a person's post in your newsfeed, you'll see various options. If the post contains a photo, you can select 'Unsubscribe from Ian's photos.' Also, if you click on a status update, you can select 'Unsubscribe from status updates.'

I mean, if they're really annoying, you can hide them, or unsubscribe from them completely. And then if you're curious about how someone's doing, you can still just pull up their page. That's what I do.
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    You don't even have to hide them completely.

If you click on the arrow by a person's post in your newsfeed, you'll see various options. If the post contains a photo, you can select 'Unsubscribe from Ian's photos.' Also, if you click on a status update, you can select 'Unsubscribe from status updates.'

I mean, if they're really annoying, you can hide them, or unsubscribe from them completely. And then if you're curious about how someone's doing, you can still just pull up their page. That's what I do.
    The things you learn on COTH. I will definitely start clicking on arrows. I've never understood why people feel that everyone cares about those stupid internet picture posters..I've got one who posts at least 16 of them daily.

One of the reasons why I hate facebook is because it gives everyone such a loud opinion because they can say stuff over the internet and not to people's faces. One of my fb friends started a whole post about someone who she felt was an unfit mother, including saying her full name, and then had a bunch of people jump in to say why they thought this. Very immature.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I just unfriended everyone but my son, his wife, and my daughter. I get the photos of the grandkids, but nothing else.

Very liberating, I must say.

The cut and pasted status updates and motivational quotes annoy me too. The other thing that's annoying is all the junk that appears in your newsfeed. Is there a way to adjust your settings so you don't see when one of your friends likes or comments on something posted by people you are not friends with?
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

411 - the only way I know of to NOT see comments/likes that your friends post on people YOU are not friends with it this:

Urge your friends to urge their friends to change the 'audience' for their posts. Lots of people don't know you can change your posts/status updates to 'friends only'. If they have it set to 'public' then when your friend comments on it, EVERYONE can see it - and it shows up in YOUR newsfeed or in the ticker to the right even though you are not friends with that person.

I culled the friends whose updates annoyed me or whom I friended but didn't really want to hear from or communicate, by messaging them and telling them I was scaling back my FB presence out of privacy concerns. That way no one would be offended when I unfriended them.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I unfriended several people recently. Our views didn't match and/or they put so much junk up, I just didn't want to see it anymore.

Thanks, EJ!
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

Quote Originally Posted by 411 View Post
    Is there a way to adjust your settings so you don't see when one of your friends likes or comments on something posted by people you are not friends with?
    I don't know if you can specifically target those posts, but you can click by a person's post and limit their posts to 'Everything,' 'Important Only,' and 'Most Updates.'

I assume Important Only would filter out some of the replies to non-friends, but it would probably eliminate quite a few posts from that person.
    The dude abides ...

I wish there was a way to filter statuses by words -- i.e. don't show me anything that contains "Obama" or "abortion" or "gluten-free". I want to read about my friends' life events...but not their political leanings or their eating preferences! Is that too much to ask? :P

I totally closed my fb account. I found it more annoying than fun or helpful. No fb for me. The worst thing about closing my account is the few pictures people in COTH post that I cannot see if their settings aren't right.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

This is timely for me. I decided last night to give myself a break from Facebook. I haven't looked at it all day, and I haven't missed it. I'm going to try going inactive.

I realized that I am not getting as much reading done as I used to, and that I am tired of seeing all the stuff mentioned previously in this thread, as well as the "Joe is eating at Bistro Bistro" and the "Dear Tuesday, please be kind" type posts. Maybe it's just my "friends" who do that, but it gets old.

I hate the really die-hard political drivel that some people tend to post. I just don't want your politics on my facebook. Probably because any time someone posts something down the party line -- any party line -- my brain instantly attempts to create some scenario proving you wrong. I am the quintessential political devil's advocate and I can't help it, so I just don't want to see it.

One key tip: you can "hide" people that you don't want to unfriend, but don't want to see their 3-times-a-day rants or links to HuffPost or FoxNews any more (I am an equal-opportunity political post hater).

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I hate the really die-hard political drivel that some people tend to post.
    I unfriended someone for that. Don't miss her at all.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

Am I the only one who sees fb as my only link to the world? Just kidding but I do work such ridiculous hours and have seriously no social life that scrolling fb a few times a day gives my brain a break. I know most of its drivvle but I'm not bothered by it. At least I know when I see anyone in person, I know who not to strike up a conversation with about politics or kittens.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...