The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SmartPak Gripe!

I was totally planning on shopping the 10% sale this weekend until I saw the list of brands not participating in the sale! Sheesh, nearly every product I was going to buy is not participating. Oh well, lost sale for them and my credit card will be happier.

Anybody else with me??

I'm actually very happy with Smartpak because I just discovered that if you have your suppl. sent to an address that is a "barn" you get free shipping. I never saw that before, and was very happy!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I wondered if I was the only one who noticed this!! For ages I'd get these emails from SP making it sound like they were offering the deal of the century. But when you scroll down to the fine print, it has a mile long list of all the brands excluded. It steamed me enough to write them about it. I told them the only items I wanted to order were all excluded brands, what else was left?????
    So they wrote back apologizing but said the suppliers won't let them sell the stuff for less than (whatever). Well, so WTH??? I even went back through the catalog just to see if there even was any off brand items I'd trust to use. Nada. So, it was all a wash. I don't buy from them anymore at all. Used to all the time. No big loss, my blankets and tack last forever, and you can get supplements just about anywhere.

It's because those manufactures have very strict pricing policies and won't let their retailers discount the products. If the store doesn't comply the company can (and does) yank their goods from the store and won't allow them to sell the product anymore. So while frustrating, it's not SmartPak's fault.
    friend of bar.ka

This happens alot in sales everywhere. Cant tell you how many times I have gone shopping for clothes, saw something I really liked with a high price tag and figure I would buy it because it was on say. Only to find out it was excluded from the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeritas View Post
    It's because those manufactures have very strict pricing policies and won't let their retailers discount the products. If the store doesn't comply the company can (and does) yank their goods from the store and won't allow them to sell the product anymore. So while frustrating, it's not SmartPak's fault.

Huh. Except for food goods, apparently. I work for a major food manufacturer, and I know that it is absolutely, positively against the law for us to tell retailers that they have to sell our product at a certain price. Best we can do is suggest or recommend. Retailers have sold our product at or even below cost on a big sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeritas View Post
    No one said it was SP's fault. The point is, what's the use in advertising percentages off of stuff they know they can't discount? "10 - 20 % off all orders over $75.00" some ads will scream. Then comes all the exclusions, the only stuff you'd want, and then you're stuck trying to order enough off-brand stuff to bring the total to that majikal 75 bucks, but that's difficult, because the price structure is set up to fall just pennies short of the goal. Then you have to order something you don't need to bump it past that limit. Or, just delete the message!

I realize many will disagree, so don't waste your time flaming me, but from my experience this entire company's marketing schtick is one gigantic ripoff.

Not only do they produce an enormous amount of garbage with the excessive packaging (I do realize it's a godsend for the big barns with non-English speaking help) but that system encourages people to buy a lot of unproven junk they don't need.

We have a horse that came in from a sandy place and needs to be sand-cleared with psyllium. Before I could warn the client, she ordered it from SmartPak and spent as much on a 7-day dose as my usual brand costs for 21 days!

I feel that outfits like Valley Vet Supply, horse.com and even Dover offer far better value for the money, without the waste.

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvmyButtercups View Post
    "10 - 20 % off all orders over $75.00" some ads will scream. Then comes all the exclusions, the only stuff you'd want, and then you're stuck trying to order enough off-brand stuff to bring the total to that majikal 75 bucks, but that's difficult, because the price structure is set up to fall just pennies short of the goal. Then you have to order something you don't need to bump it past that limit. Or, just delete the message!
    Actually, SP doesn't figure it out that way. I just took advantage of the sale to purchase all my supplements, fly spray and a few other things. Total came to 159 before discount. Two of the items were excluded, but I still got the 10% on the other items. Did not need to purchase additional items. Bonus 5% due to my USEF membership was also nice.

ET
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

Well, there is little question that many people like SmartPak. I used their products for a few years, at no small expense, and when I saw little or no improvement I began to buy supplements elsewhere, other brands, and had good luck with them. So, with supplements, you just need to do your homework and math, see what works, and determine how long the horse needs to be on any products.

Since this thread is "SmartPak gripe!" I wanted to throw this out ~ (zipping up flame suit) anyone see the latest SP mailing? On page 6 there is a full page blurb about Major Red Jacket, a THREE year old reiner who was "...very sore and was diagnosed with OCD in his stifle." This is after showing promise as a two year old. SmartPak chose to feature this as a pitch for their SmartFlex III Resilience product. There is a half page picture of RJ doing a sliding stop. OK, I get it, the QH trainers are going to abuse 2 year olds anyway, and will always be on the lookout for procedures and products to get performance out of them, but I guess I'm naive? Maybe SP could take a stand on this? Like maybe put this owner's pitch on their website's reviews page, buried in there to be hardly noticed, with NO picture? Resist the urge to exploit this for their advertising gain? It just seems to me you can't take the position that you care and want the best for our equine friends, without exercising some restraint on how you'd like your products to be used.
    Maybe I am being naive, because of course it's all about the almighty dollar. But so, is the message they are sending, this? That they don't care why or how you use their products, they are there to help you regardless? Just wondering.

Since this thread is "SmartPak gripe!" I wanted to throw this out ~ (zipping up flame suit) anyone see the latest SP mailing? On page 6 there is a full page blurb about Major Red Jacket, a THREE year old reiner who was "...very sore and was diagnosed with OCD in his stifle." This is after showing promise as a two year old. SmartPak chose to feature this as a pitch for their SmartFlex III Resilience product. There is a half page picture of RJ doing a sliding stop. OK, I get it, the QH trainers are going to abuse 2 year olds anyway, and will always be on the lookout for procedures and products to get performance out of them, but I guess I'm naive? Maybe SP could take a stand on this? Like maybe put this owner's pitch on their website's reviews page, buried in there to be hardly noticed, with NO picture? Resist the urge to exploit this for their advertising gain? It just seems to me you can't take the position that you care and want the best for our equine friends, without exercising some restraint on how you'd like your products to be used.
    Maybe I am being naive, because of course it's all about the almighty dollar. But so, is the message they are sending, this? That they don't care why or how you use their products, they are there to help you regardless? Just wondering.
    I noticed this one, as well, and agree completely.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Not really on topic, but the AQHA/reining/etc. will change its showing model (futurities, starting long yearlings, etc.) about the same time Thoroughbred racing will stop racing two year olds.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

My sister works in corporate sales in the fashion industry. The brand she works for also has pricing policies with the stores they sell to. She says they do this because they, first of all, don't want their brand to be seen on the mega sale rack because people might start to think their brand is cheap and something must be wrong. If it's selling for a hugely discounted price it must mean that shoppers don't want it. They want their clothes to appear to be flying off the shelves and appear to be a top of the line, exclusive brand. The model seems to work for them because it's like $60 for a t-shirt and somehow people buy it...not that I ever would.

SmartPak is making me a little angry with my newest order because they split it up into two packages. One shipped the day they printed the label and the other had a label printed 4 days ago but still hasn't actually shipped.

Well, there is little question that many people like SmartPak. I used their products for a few years, at no small expense, and when I saw little or no improvement I began to buy supplements elsewhere, other brands, and had good luck with them. So, with supplements, you just need to do your homework and math, see what works, and determine how long the horse needs to be on any products.

This is the problem I'm having lately with the entire culture. Ruin the horses, ruin ourselves, then use meds and supps. to pretend it never happened. I'm totally in agreement with you here. The QH people have to just say "NO!" and stop patronizing the trainers and shows who do this to young horses. If you ask me, the whole thing is all about ignorance!

I've been a longtime Smartpak customer until recently. I ordered a bunch of things for my mare, who currently is boarded in a different state due to my recent relocation. I needed these items delivered by a certain date so I ordered well in advance. When the items did not arrive I called Smartpak, and they hadn't even shipped. I was very disappointed and asked them to cancel my order completely. Despite this request, they shipped part of my order and charged me for the entire order! But sent a $10 gift code...yeah, that makes it all better. Used to love ya, but I'm done with you Smartpak. Customer service has definitely declined.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    I noticed this one, as well, and agree completely.
    I too noticed the ad and was bothered by it. They could have come up with a better example. I don't have a problem with reining anymore than I do something like horse racing or people doing ironman triathlon, but please do it under physiologically favorable circumstances. There's a reason why young kids don't do Ironman. Why should we expect any difference from our equines?

On a related note, I tried SmartPak for about 4 months and didn't notice much difference with any of the supplements.

the only thing I'm using now is a supplement that I won in a raffle not too long ago. It's a hoof supplement but it has also made my horse's coat shine like nobody's business. People actually think I've sprayed my horse with something to make her look that way. My sister even said "Wow! This is Vidal Sassoon hair [i.e. coat]"

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    I've been a longtime Smartpak customer until recently. I ordered a bunch of things for my mare, who currently is boarded in a different state due to my recent relocation. I needed these items delivered by a certain date so I ordered well in advance. When the items did not arrive I called Smartpak, and they hadn't even shipped. I was very disappointed and asked them to cancel my order completely. Despite this request, they shipped part of my order and charged me for the entire order! But sent a $10 gift code...yeah, that makes it all better. Used to love ya, but I'm done with you Smartpak. Customer service has definitely declined.
    This makes me nervous that 1/2 of my order will never ship either! I NEED those clippers! I have bridle paths going wild out in the barn.