The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Affordable Dive Vacations

It's getting late, but as soon as school's out we're outta here and diving. SO can't make up his mind.

We learned to dive in Roatan, Honduras four years ago, and were going to go back and do an all inclusive at Anthony's Key, and then we found out they're charging extra for BCD's, regulators, and fins, so SO lost interest. Honduras also has nasty, nasty, evil, evil sand flies that left me itching for FIVE months last time.

We could do Cozumel again. We did that last year and really loved the Iberostar. The diving was a bit tricky and SO bailed. I guess the currents were really rough last year. I'd love to dive with a whale shark, though!

SO just found St. Lucia Carribean wit some all inclusives.

We've also been to Curacao twice, which has THE MOST AMAZING coral anywhere.

Any suggestions? I want all inclusive because I'm too tired to deal with anything, affordable, and diving. We've done some great, great coral locations, so maybe something with more or variety of life.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

You'd have to go to the more touristy places. Those places usually, from what I know, charge a flat rate but some do nickle and time you. Anywhere that is known as a diving hot-spot will likely do the same and in SA, they tend to charge you for every little thing they can get away with because the economies are not high-money down there and they need the tourist cheese.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I know we've spoken of Cozumel diving :-) if you give it another try, we enjoyed Hotel Cozumel, and the price was fantastic. We went the last week of march last year and I didn't find the currents to be difficult. I think there was one dive site we didn't get to see because of the current, but I'm a beginner diver and I did fairly well/was comfortable. There were a few times when it was difficult, mainly because our dive master had this super human way of not being swept along by the current. Since most were drift dives, we had to stay behind him and he was so much slower than we could be!

The one dive we did, going past 110feet and then up swim-throughs.... that was the coolest thing ever!
    Ah, take me back!!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Husband recommends Thailand..said its relatively cheap -he said for three weeks, 20 dives, flight, lodging, but not meals, was less than 2500. He dove off Phi Phi and Koatao or something and said it was great, several great places to find fine tropical diving. He did bring most of his gear. His friend is organizing a trip to Thailand right now for 20 dives, all included except food, for 3k. All gear rental is also included.

bits--Yeah, I think we'll get back to Cozumel. I may want to do it earlier in the year when the whale sharks are more around.

lilitiger--I would love to go to Thailand to dive. I have been there, but it was before I was a diver. We were looking at the Philipines, too. I've been to Bali, before I was a diver, and that's supposed to be fabulous (AMAZING snorkeling.) Right now it's too expensive to fly there, but it's definitely on my list.

I did 5 weeks in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand with a guide, all accommodations, transportation and most food for $2500. It was a pretty amazing thing. The life-changing part was visiting the "prison" in Phenom Penh and listening to one of the 10 survivors of 10,000 talk of Pal Pot's reign of terror, and then go to the Killing Fields and see the tower with layer upon layer of human skulls of just some of the dead in the Killing Fields.

Belize.....second biggest barrier reef in the world. Belize was also very cheap last time I was there but that was a long time ago.

Cay Caulker had some great ! diving. And I hear that Ambegris Cay (sp) is also wonderful. However there was not much else to do there, but that is all I wanted anyway!

Palawan, Philippines. Good reef and wreck diving, very very calm water. I'd recommend Busuanga, in particular Sangat Island: http://www.sangat.com.ph/index.php?c...0.01&lac=en-us

Saba, Netherlands Antilles-15 min flight from St. Maarten. Stay in Windwardside. You can safely hitchhike down to the Fort Bay. No beaches except some wandering ones. There is a medical school in The Bottom.
    Hope you don't mind flying in small planes and landing on a minute runway. :-)

Turks and Caicos has some very nice diving spots and is less touristy than a lot of other Caribbean islands. I was there about 10 years ago, so I imagine it's more built up now than when I was there, but I bet there are still some places to get away. We went diving along a spectacular vertical reef that was over 300 feet from top to bottom -- very different from more classic reef diving, and an interesting challenge to maintain your depth partway down the reef wall while ogling the coral and creatures
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Belize!

hamanasi lodge is a great all inclusive. Say hi to Dave and Dana form the magnificant 10 (we were the first big group to ever stay there many years ago.....

They do have sand flies in Belize though..... not a problem for me, but one person got eaten up on one of the islands.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

We have been looking at Belize. It's the same reef as Honduras but has the cenotes and Blue Hole. I would like to go there, but it is definitely more expensive. The evil, evil, evil sandlfies also live there! BAAD. I just went and bought 99% DEET in case we head to sand fly territory. I am NOT going through five monts of itching again.

Bonaire. Rent a Jeep, grab some tanks and shore-dive all day for next to nothing. Works best if one of you is confident enough under there to know your way around pretty well. I'm a crappy navigator but my mom has more than 500 dives and can keep me in the right direction.

Getting there is pricey but you aren't paying hefty dive fees, just a day rate for tank rental. And you can generally do more dives, easily 3-4 a day if you keep it shallow and you should since the best stuff is not too deep, 25-60. Better reef than Curacao but same general concept.

Bonaire is a diver's island, everyone there dives. Everyone. So you should be really into diving, because that is all anyone ever talks about. Bonus feature: tons of cute wild donkeys.

Utila for whale sharks if it's the right time of year.

Currents were an issue in Cozumel? What time of year, that is odd

You are headed into a bad season for the Yucatan and Caribbean in general. Rain and heat. You may have to hit another hemisphere if now= diving. The soonest I'd go to Coz would be September.

Yeah, I'd love to do Bonaire--#1 dive location in the world. WAAAAAY too expensive for me.

Utila is next to Roatan, so kind same with the whale sharks, though it is a bit out of season.

We went to Cozumel in June. The dive masters weren't being very clear, but there were a lot of places we weren't going because of currents. They actually lost a diver. Don't know if he was found. Most of the dives had pretty heavy currents when I went in, like you had to kick quote hard to stay in place if not amid the coral towers. We mostly just sort of got pushed along.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    We have been looking at Belize. It's the same reef as Honduras but has the cenotes and Blue Hole. I would like to go there, but it is definitely more expensive. The evil, evil, evil sandlfies also live there! BAAD. I just went and bought 99% DEET in case we head to sand fly territory. I am NOT going through five monts of itching again.
    The locals had a secret recipe, I'd ask about it.... you must be one of the tasty ones.... There were two on our trip and they only got eaten on a certain island. No problem on the Hamanasi beach at that time.....

My experience with the currents in Cozumel, is you just go with them.... Just float along the reef...the diving is all drift diving due to the currents...... This made it difficult for my brother the photographer who would try to stay in one place and get pictures, but generally the entire group just floated along.... at high speeds sometimes..... I liked it!
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Cozumel is known for easy peasy drift diving. It's easy. the boat drops you, follows your bubbles, picks you up, you drink an orange drink and do it again. Honestly. it's as complicated as diving in a bathtub. Punta Tuniche you practically fly over the reefs, sipping air and loving life. I routinely come up with 1K+ air, it's easy diving.

But June? you guys need to read the weather charts: You don't go in June.

Hmm, Bonaire ended up being less expensive than most other places for us because of the lack of dive fees, though I admit we, um, know nothing about all-inclusive.

I've been twice on the cheap. We "cooked" for ourselves -- mostly Clif bars and trail mix I brought from home, chicken noodle soup, oatmeal and bread. Crystal Light packets for drinks. Got a few sandwiches at the Subway. Crashed the local dive hub resort party on Wednesdays for rum punch. Trust me, expensive it was not! I believe it was $800/week, my share (half) both times was about $400, another $150 for the POC ("piece of crap", aka our falling-apart Jeep). $30/day for all the tanks you can use. Flight not too bad either if you get a regional airline out of Aruba, forget what it's called, as you can usually get a decent price to Aruba.

I do agree the drift diving can be fun with the sort of thrill gliding you get. But one of the cool parts of diving is getting really close and still and looking at things--I really learned to like that diving from the shore in Curacao. It makes it hard to look at things if you're flying by, and I do have a dive camera that actually works I got for $200, so I like to use it.

ford--hmm, The accommodations we looked at on Bonaire were pretty expensive. I'll have to look into it. I've heard it's the best!

The diving is the best. The accommodations are not. We stayed once at Buddy Dive in the tiniest little turret with a leaky shower that flooded our room, and a few times in Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments which was decent if you get the room without the ants. Different time of year but I'd think prices would be better now. But that's not all-inclusive pricing, keep in mind. It is "cheapest of the cheap skinflint diver" pricing.

Here is the link for Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments: http://www.sunoceanfront.com/apartme...tal-rates.html

Recommend this place, they have a deal with Buddy Dive, the biggest outfit on the island, so you can pick up tanks at a lot of different locations. The guy in the diveshop is cool and helpful. My mom spends a month there every winter so PM me if you go, I'd be happy to share our favorites. She swears the ants are gone from BOA but store your food in the microwave anyway.