The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions on Custom Wolfgang Solo?

I am fed up on fighting my Hennig Sofa. I think it has something to do with where the stirrup bar sits. Regardless, it has to go.

I tried a friend's Custom Wolfgang Solo. The difference in how I rode was amazing. I could actually use my core and my legs weren't all over the place (yes, I tried raising the stirrups in my Hennig). I got my horse moving really well too.

I'm just not sure if I love this saddle because it's different than my Hennig or because I actually love this saddle.

Any other ideas of what may work? I'm on the thin side and have a long torso and a very long thigh.

Thanks.

Could you get your local Custom Saddlery rep out to let you try saddles? they have a 10-day trial policy.
    I wound up with the Wolfgang Expression - it worked better for me than the Solo.

Another thought, though, is that maybe your Hennig just needs an adjustment. It is amazing how much difference that can make. And its a lot less expensive than a new saddle.

I very much recommend taking one on trial. They are impossible to find used but they have a generous trial period I think.
    I tried one several years ago and vowed when I could afford it, I would get one. My dream saddle! I ended up finding one of the few used ones out there (the Buffalo seat) and rode another horse in it for a month since the horse I bought it for was in training. BUT....now that the main horse is home to me it feels completely different between horse #1 and horse #2. The horses were built differently..the saddle is not adj. to fit Horse #1 (used a half pad) but I did not buy it for him. I feel like I am fighting the thigh blocks on Horse #2..so I don't know what to do. My stirrup length is longer on Horse #1 so that is why my thigh sits at the block better. So my dream is crushed I guess....

So what I am saying that the saddle may be GREAT one one horse but riding on your own horse, may feel completely different.

Default ironically

Hi,

I've trialed hennigs and solos and my preference ended up being a hennig. That said, I really liked the Solo (more than the other models available), and Fred Taht (nj custom saddle guy) was helpful and low pressure. I love it when reps don't pressure or snow you. And a big plus of buying locally is having your own local saddle adjuster.

For the price I feel the Solo is a great saddle; it would probably be my second choice...
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

I had a custom Hennig Sofa- it always put me in a chair seat- most likely because of my conformation. I sold it when it did not fit the new horse, and could not be made to fit him despite $$$$$$$$ to the dealer and his saddle guy. Bought a Custom Solo mono flap, but had them change the stirrup bars to ones that were adjustable- cost $500 extra with fitting, etc, but worth it. I find I ride better with the stirrup bars about 1 inch back from the "traditional" position- makes a huge difference in my ability to sit, etc

Love mine! And they are not impossible to find yours, my rep found me the perfect one after coming out with the whole truck to let me try different models. It only took about 4 weeks, and the drop in price was definitely worth the wait. Good luck!
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht