The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses and apparent vow of poverty :)

Ha! Not complaining,not really, okay maybe a tiny bit - no one has four feet in the air which is a really good thing! But yesterday, taking three in for their dentals, vaccines, worming, I was thinking...this year...wow. My old guy needed his eye removed,my donkey, back east, had a puncture of her knee joint capsule, another has chronic feet issues and I will be taking him in for a lameness work up (of course the shoes, relatively new, will come off!) and my big red, according to the vet yesterday, likely has Cushings. FABULOUS!! I love my guys (and girl, the donkey). And my cats. And dog. You bet I will eat Ramen and butter spaghetti and take vacations as far as the feed store. Nobody is being rehomed or headed to the cannery, but just one winning lottery ticket, just one, i wouldn't be greedy, but just one....

I married a vet's son It helps a lot. Might by an option Otherwise those ramen noodles aren't too bad these days

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    I married a vet's son It helps a lot. Might by an option Otherwise those ramen noodles aren't too bad these days
    I wish! I married a mechanic, which can also have big advantages, but a sideline in vet schooling would have been really helpful. Hmmm, think i'll suggest it.... thankfully, I DO like ramen!!

Oh, I know what you mean! This year has been a doozie for vet bills. I had to tell the horse vets that we're not millionairs but we're not quite at the poor house--yet.
    C'mon lottery!!!
    Actually I've won the lottery in a sense, as I work for a small animal practice and can get stuff at cost. I imagine that's saved me a small fortune. I'll just never retire.

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    .... Otherwise those ramen noodles aren't too bad these days
    I recommend the 'roasted chicken' flavor.

I hear you...I've had three horses for over two years.....I finally got down to one..and I swear I'll never have more than one at a time again. I was spending close to 2k on horses each month..never again.

Just walked out to the barn only to find my gelding has shredded another Weatherbeeta fly sheet. Thats another $80. Honestly, I have never had the nerve to add up my monthly costs. Ignorance is bliss!!

I actually was able to SAVE MONEY before getting a horse. I've been broke ever since ... but never regretted.

Winning the lottery would not help me ... I'd only use that to justify getting more horses!

Welcome to the "broke but happy" club!
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

Tell me about it...

My gelding had a molar extracted 3 weeks ago. Luckily, they were able to do it orally and with standing sedation, but it still wasn't cheap.

Next week he goes in for a follow-up, and a float for points, even though he was just floated in Oct (he's 17, BTW).

Barefoot trim for each horse today.

80 bales of hay are being delivered late this week (from the grower, rather than the feed store, but this is still California).

And now my mare has mysterious hives along her belly and sides (started yesterday, worse today), and I may need to have the vet out Tuesday (she said to have her out if they don't improve by tomorrow).

I anticipate eating a lot of top ramen next month!