The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question This is a scammer, right?

I have a pony for sale and got an email from someone from Mexico City. I ignored it because it looked like a scam. Since then I've gotten two voicemails from "Federico" and 2 more emails inquiring as to why I haven't responded. Scammers will make phone calls and are from other countries besides Nigeria, right? LOL I don't really want said pony to leave the country regardless, and would really rather she sold locally, but.....? I'd hate to be rude to a "real" potential buyer.

Well it depends, what made it "look" like a scam? If it was just because the person claimed to be from Mexico City, I wouldn't immediately say that it qualifies as a scam message. I would certainly respond! Now, the first mention of them sending you a check for you to cash and you sending them $X amount back and so forth... well, then you know it's a scammer for sure.
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies
    Visit us on Facebook!

Smells like an unmucked stall to me.
    I should think there are plenty of ponies to be had in Mexico for less then what they can be bought for in this country. But if it is a fancy pony for $$$ there are plenty of people in Mexico City with money who can appreciate and will spend $$$ for a special one.
    It is not being rude to say you don’t want it to go too far from home.

just call them back and talk to them! a scammer isnt likely to give you real contact info and name

Several years ago there was a family that bought several Welsh Ponies from various members of the Welsh community and had them shipped to Mexico. It was all on the up and up, so I wouldn't discount it until after you'd talked to them.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

A traditional 419 type scammer would not send multiple emails or make multiple phone calls to an unresponsive first contact (later in the bait, sure, but not to the initial contact).

They are too busy dealing with the people who DID respond to chase down someone likely to be suspicious/wary/a bad victim.

That said, there are more scams in the world than traditional 419 scams, so --

If you want to see if it's legitimate, follow up with them. Proceed cautiously, as SOMETHING set off your scam radar.

If you just want to wash your hands of it, use the 'want to sell locally' line and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post
    A traditional 419 type scammer would not send multiple emails or make multiple phone calls to an unresponsive first contact (later in the bait, sure, but not to the initial contact).

They are too busy dealing with the people who DID respond to chase down someone likely to be suspicious/wary/a bad victim.

That said, there are more scams in the world than traditional 419 scams, so --

If you want to see if it's legitimate, follow up with them. Proceed cautiously, as SOMETHING set off your scam radar.

If you just want to wash your hands of it, use the 'want to sell locally' line and be done.
    ^^This is what I would do.

I know someone who sold a nice, highly trained pony to a legit buyer in Colombia - as in the country, not the city
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I'd be careful. I was renting a house for my mom and I had multiple emails and responses from a "doctor" in England wanting to rent it. I finally said I would not rent to anyone I did not meet. I would certainly do that for a horse.

I actually had the same situation for a horse for sale. I had multiple emails and responses from someone from another country. I finally just said I would not sell him to anyone I had not met. That stopped it.

Ive sold a few expensive items to Venezuela (not horses but I know others who have)... Beautiful ranches out there and if I'd have ignored the replies I wouldn't have gotten my saddles sold
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Thumbs down

Followed up with an email, it was a scam.

what was their schtick?

We've had several that were scams and a couple recently that sounded initially like they were, but ended up being legit.

Whenever someone inquires about buying one of our horses long distance and sight unseen, we tell them we always do sale contracts so we need a full name, address and telephone number, ask what plans they have for said horse as well as photo's of the farm where they will be living. This weeds them out every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I'd be careful. I was renting a house for my mom and I had multiple emails and responses from a "doctor" in England wanting to rent it. I finally said I would not rent to anyone I did not meet. I would certainly do that for a horse.
    I think the same scammer emailed us about our apartment!!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian