The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What else does your horse say with the 'poop grunt'?

The COTH "Champion of Verbal Drama - Horse" will aways be Trever of 'Come to the Light' fame. That said, I have a talker. That grunt-sigh horses make when they take a dump? Hoover uses it frequently for various commentary. Occasionally, for its original purpose. Last night he apparently had a bit of gas and spooked me laying down and giving the Grunt with most every breath - until he started farting and I realized what was up. Sure enough, he quieted down and then dived into breakfast just fine this AM.

Otherwise..... after a long warm-up, as soon as I use my legs to ask him to start moving out & before he actually starts moving his legs any faster, I usually get the Poop Grunt, extended cut - so loonngg it's almost a hum. Since he's not moving faster yet, and since it tends to disappear if I turn him around toward home, I'm thinking it's less 'My arthritis hurts today' and more 'MMOOOMMMM, hoow can yoou make an ooollldd guy like mmeee wwooorrrkkk sooo haaarrdd.....' at those moments. Point him at an interesting trail and I hear it less but occasionally. Point him up a good incline and no Poop Grunt, he digs in and motors up it (no roaring either). Marching interested down the trail, he'll sometimes start giving a couple minutes of constant commentary and then just quit. Getting up and down in the paddock can get all kinds of commentary even after he lays down, but then he moves fine when he gets up.

So sometimes he's saying Check Me and sometimes it's just Drama. I can feel or watch how he's moving and often have some idea which it is. What do your horses use the Poop Grunt for besides pooping, and how are you sorting out if its physical or just mental?
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Oh, once on a hand walk around the farm, my TB started to groan and fall to his knees. Omg, something's wrong, help! He's overstressed, colicing, broken!
    Until I looked back and saw the Arab was going down to his knees.
    Yup, they went down for a nice scratchy roll. Thanks for the warning and mini heart attack guys.

When being ridden, I usually equate it to them "using their abs."
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Chall, , I can relate! The last couple nights, I've heard Hoover go down for the night. There's grunting involved, can't blame him. But then in the dark I heard 'MMMMM, MMMMM, MMMMM' until I figured I'd better check. Both nights he was down sternal and doing the hum version of the poop grunt with each breath. I stayed with him for a bit wondering if it was the start of colic - until he started farting (Sun), so I figured any gas colic was clearing itself. Monday night the hum got quieter and quieter over a few minutes as his eyelids dropped, and his nose wobbled closer to the ground... Gee horse, you snore as you're falling asleep?

So long as he's snoozing or farting, and interested in his feed if I bring it, I assume he's not colicing badly enough to worry!

Here's one of the Trever threads, for those who are interested:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ghlight=trever
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.

Emptying his bowels to move away faster think jet powered propeller!

My horse likes to do this wheneverI head out to the pasture to get him haha
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

If we chipped to a fence & he had to put in a little extra effort, or if he wanted to call attention to the fact that he was doing a lead change. I used to call it "telling on me". As in, he had to point out that it was my fault we chipped, or he had to change leads
    Life is hard. Buy a freaking helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Whatever, go gallop.

My mare "talks" in a series of little grunts often. Normally when she's getting down to business working, she likes to tell me all about it. There are many many snorts too. Lol I think it's cute.

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    Chall, , I can relate! The last couple nights, I've heard Hoover go down for the night. There's grunting involved, can't blame him. But then in the dark I heard 'MMMMM, MMMMM, MMMMM' until I figured I'd better check. Both nights he was down sternal and doing the hum version of the poop grunt with each breath. I stayed with him for a bit wondering if it was the start of colic - until he started farting (Sun), so I figured any gas colic was clearing itself. Monday night the hum got quieter and quieter over a few minutes as his eyelids dropped, and his nose wobbled closer to the ground... Gee horse, you snore as you're falling asleep?

So long as he's snoozing or farting, and interested in his feed if I bring it, I assume he's not colicing badly enough to worry!
    Update so I don't hijack the mare's thread. I've gone and sat out with Hoover the last few nights when he starts doing his nightly serenade. Definitely, all that MMMMM ing is usually followed before too long by a round of farts, so he's not just complaining about lying down, he's gassy. Poor thing was practically mooing like a cow a couple times last night - and had come down to 1 pound of Senior feed AM and PM by then. The other change in his feed (besides opening new bags of senior) has been transitioning him from cut feed to grazing. The cut feed was mostly green cornstalk,but now is grass - not bermuda but something else I can't translate from Kreyol. We started him in very not lush areas on a short tie line but maybe he's having problems anyway? After a month of transitioning?

He goes out to graze by 7am, has a 60' circle of low grass and forbs to pick and munch in, and comes in by 5:30 pm. He has been getting maybe 10 pounds of fresh cut long stem bermuda(?) grass at 6:30- 7 plus the little bit of senior. What would be the most likely culprit if he's gassy at 9?

My TB uses it as his "I don't want to get up" noise. He'll be sternal, and I'll try to get him up to ride, and he'll moan, sigh, and go completely lateral as an "eff you, you can't wake me out of this nap, I am completely ignoring your insignificance". It usually takes 5-10 minutes of arm waving, yelling, light kicks and slaps to get his 1200lb behind standing.

Mine is a grunter, too.
    She grunts when pooping, sometimes.
    She grunts and sighs and blows when I ride her, mostly during warm-up. She will grunt rhythmically at trot, and even at canter, all the way around the ring, when we warm up on a loose rein. It's too funny. To me it's a "I have to work and it's so boring" type grunt.
    As soon as we get into real work, dressage on contact, or jumping, the grunting disappears completely.

But if she grunts while being down, I keep an eye on her. She's done that once before, and had a slight impaction. Glad I called the vet then.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

A friend used to have an OTTB gelding who "sang" on the trail. Constantly "humming".

I had an OTTB mare who startled a fellow boarder one day badly enough to call me, believing Dot was ill. Dot was down flat in her stall, making a wheezing sound.

I asked my friend if it sounded like this, and imitated a high squealing, screeching sound as best I could. When she said, "Yes, EXACTLY like that!", I told her -- that's how she snores!

My gelding talks CONSTANTLY while we ride. If it's not a snort for every occasion, it's grunts and whuffles and this weird little "errrr" noise.

I talk back to him. Sometimes I sing. We're both not normal but we're not normal in a compatible way.

My horse doesn't grunt very often, but he is a snorter, especially under saddle. If we're working HARD on something (oh, like, WALKING) and I let my reins out his first reaction is stretch as far down as he can, snort, shake his head, then snort some more.

He talks when I show up and when I start getting his feed ready. Snort, whinny, nicker, repeat.

He's taken to sort of huffing when we're up and moving at a really good working trot...it seems every couple of strides he has to remind me just how much he's working!