The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

OK, folks... the contributions are (mostly) tallied, and Lisamarie is hard at work on our ad.

In total, I think we have collected somewhere around $2400-2500. The ad will cost about $1350. That leaves us with at least $1K (!!!) to donate to a charity in Kathy's name.

The charity her family had mentioned to me was the Hospice of Yuma (Ariz.). Or, we could decide on a different charity, like the American Cancer Society, an equine rescue group, or something like that.

So... we need suggestions! Lisamarie wants to put our decision in the ad.

Thoughts? Ideas?

(BTW, for those who missed this round of threads... Cactuskate was a frequent contributor here who died of cancer last month. COTH BB'ers chipped in all this money to memorialize her in an ad in the COTH, and also to make a donation to charity.)

OK, folks... the contributions are (mostly) tallied, and Lisamarie is hard at work on our ad.

In total, I think we have collected somewhere around $2400-2500. The ad will cost about $1350. That leaves us with at least $1K (!!!) to donate to a charity in Kathy's name.

The charity her family had mentioned to me was the Hospice of Yuma (Ariz.). Or, we could decide on a different charity, like the American Cancer Society, an equine rescue group, or something like that.

So... we need suggestions! Lisamarie wants to put our decision in the ad.

Thoughts? Ideas?

(BTW, for those who missed this round of threads... Cactuskate was a frequent contributor here who died of cancer last month. COTH BB'ers chipped in all this money to memorialize her in an ad in the COTH, and also to make a donation to charity.)

I think that if her family wants us to donate to the Hospice of Yuma, then that is what we should do.

Hospices do wonderful work, and certainly deserve to be supported.

---------------------------
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
    Aristotle
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I'm all for the Hospice donation...but we're all also horse people...and so was Cactuskate. Perhaps a 50/50 split is a more fitting memorial? 1/2 to the Hospice and 1/2 to a horse rescue (like NYHR [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] who would most likely be be very willing to name the rescued horse after her). That way, we would be recognizing the two parts of her life most of us shared...our common bond through horses and our growth through her illness.

Just a thought...

=^+^=

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Original Poster

I like the half-and-half idea... there's a really well-known rescue in CA, the name of which escapes me at the moment. California Clique?

might be the one you are thinking of, Erin. It is in Arcadia, CA and has an excellent reputation.

=^+^=

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I'm like the 50/50 split idea as well. Just adding in my .02.

Sounds like a plan to me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

I like the 50/50, too.

I can't wait to see the ad!

* I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. *
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Original Poster

UPF is what I was thinking of Serendipity! I forget, do they do OTT rescues? I think most of Kathy's horses were TB, so that would be appropriate. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

is indeed a racing TB based charitable organization. The founders of UPF and the founders of NYHR are friends, that's how I became familiar with UPF.

Here's the site: UPF

=^+^=

Hospice for me too! If a horse rescue charity is chosen I think it would be best to find one in her area. Even a local humane society needs help in dealing with livestock rescue.

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I'm for the 50/50 too. Thanks, Erin!

Original Poster

Any Arizona cliquers know of a rescue in that state?

50/50 is a great idea!

Unfortunately, I am in AZ but I don't know what sort of horse rescues there are....I'll ask around and see if there's anything around.

Good idea [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

I am also in favor of the 50:50 split. I know there is a small rescue operation somewhere in Gilbert, not far from our barn, but I don't know anything about its reputation. I would guess that it mainly deals with QH's and paints given its location, but I will try to find out some more info.

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

50/50 split is a great idea...Hospice and a Rescue...Erin do we know which Chronicle it will be in yet?

Here are some links to horse rescues in Arizona - unfortunately, I have no personal knowledge of any of them.

http://communities.msn.com/MadisCorral

http://werescuehorses.com/

http://members.aol.com/MudPony/

http://xs-xpress.20m.com/

I vote for 50/50, too. United Pegasus also purchases foals from the PMU auctions -- a new life beginning, perhaps?

Like the 50/50 idea as well.

But another suggestion regard the horsey one:

While in Kentucky last week, I read about the Horse Parks Foundation that runs a drill team for the inner city kids. I was very impressed with the story and the success of the children that have participated.

Can't help put think that money could buy another mustang (that is the only "type" used by the kids)

A form of rescue in it's own way. Saving a horse from the wild and a child.

Just another suggestion.