The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

One other thing --this is for G-D-G in realtion to whether or not it is hypocritical to offer a bonus dinner to hunt staff when you are opposed to hunting. My feeling is no, because this is a gray issues with a lot of variation and it's hard to be that black and white.

I'm not a fan of hunting, have never been, and doubt I will be. I understand why the ban is a bad idea for foxes, but it doesn't make me anymore comfrotable with the concept of killing something for fun. That being said, my husband is an avid, lifelong foxhunter. THough I choose not to partake, I understand how important it is for him. SO he goes off in the fall, and I stay home, and we both stay out of each other's way idealogically.

Hunt staff and members are S.L.'s neighbors, and dare I say, friends. Perhaps she wanted to do something nice for them.

Then again, perhaps its hypocritical when I make my husband a big lunch after he comes home from a day of hunting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm certain this is "standard operating procdure" for small-town life in the East and south. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not in my hometown. Nor where I went to college. Nor where I went to grad school. Nor where my family lives. Nor where I currently live. Nor where I work. Nor where I vacation. Nor where I board my horse. All of these towns have been both back east and in the south.

Rude, small minded, bigots are everywhere, including California, and judging half the country by the acts of a few is uncalled for and unfair.

"It ain't no sin to take off your skin, and dance around in your bones." Tom Waits

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather:
    One other thing --this is for G-D-G in realtion to whether or not it is hypocritical to offer a bonus dinner to hunt staff when you are opposed to hunting. My feeling is no, because this is a gray issues with a lot of variation and it's hard to be that black and white.
    Hunt staff and members are S.L.'s neighbors, and dare I say, friends. Perhaps she wanted to do something nice for them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be right.

**"The cowards won't start and the weak will die along the trail."
    -- Kit Carson**

*Lord please save me from those trying to save me!*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joliemom:

Rude, small minded, bigots are everywhere, including California, and judging half the country by the acts of a few is uncalled for and unfair.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. But I bet I'd feel the same as Heather were I standing in her shoes. I'm glad you have never experienced anything like this. My parents live in St. Mary's County in a little District known as the 7th. When my father ran for Chief of the Rescue Squad, he was imformed that he was a come here not a from here and would never be allowed to win (we'd been living there for 20 freaking years). Good thing there were enough open minded people like you to change the vote but it's been a wild ride. I can totally see where Heather is coming from.

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

Bad behavior happens everywhere, including my beloved state, but to say it's "standard operating procedure" is taking it too far.

"It ain't no sin to take off your skin, and dance around in your bones." Tom Waits

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Northcountry, surely you noticed the odd appliance/pieces of trash on the side of the road when you originally checked out your neighbourhood?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well, it was February, so the ground was covered with 2' of beautiful snow. No, we had no idea. It's a lonely dead-end road, so we weren't expecting it to be pristine or anything. Actually, the town road crew cleaned things up earlier this summer, and there has been less dumping since then.

I didn't mean to come off as a self-righteous in my earlier post. It's a free country. And Americans are notorious for moving from one community to the next, so there's bound to be a little friction as new people get to know each other. I have a lot of respect for the locals' hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, and pick-up truck driving ways, and wouldn't want them changed. But God help me when a Starbucks lands on my street corner. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Good thing there were enough open minded people like you to change the vote but it's been a wild ride. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't "open minded" people try to understand the dynamics of the local area?

I knew I was in for it when I hauled my "yankee" ass south to train 10 winters ago. I got tons of crap some serious some in fun about being a yankee.I did 10 years ago and I still do.

So what? I guess VTers just have a thick skin to go along with their heads.

I may have been born in VT but it was a big resort town {Stowe} and I'm not considered a "real" Vermonter by many. They expect me to act/think like many people from there [Stowe] do. When they see I'm not out to change them or inpose my ideas on them I get invited in through the back door. In VT the front door is for strangers.

I hunt but I'm not impressed by most hunters.

I have horses but I also ride dirt bikes and MT. bikes.

I don't farm but my best friend is a farmer.

I came from a resort town but I dislike resort towns.

I spent 8 winters in SC and never tried to tell people there what they should or should not do.

I'm far from perfect.

-- Kit Carson**

I recently moved from Austin, the capital of liberal wacko weirdness in Texas, to a small rural community about 50 miles away. While I realize that my move was hardly as drastic as yours, I did have some adjusting to do.
    Fitting in anywhere new is difficult and blending into a small community is especially hard. While my neighbors may hardly be "blue-blood" Virginians, most of the local families settled here oh, sometime shortly after the civil war and have known each other for ever.
    What I've learned is this: What I perceived as "stand-offishness" is really a very human trait. I'm new-they're not. Just as dogs circle each other and sniff each other's arses, my neighbors have been taking their time in checking me out. Now (2 1/2 years later) that it has been proven that I pay my bills on time and take care of my property, they're slowly warming up to us. I know that most of them are far more conserative politically than I am. I'm sure some of them are stuck-up. I'm equally sure that some of them are racists. I won't even go into an extremely silly conversation that I had when one of them suspected that I was Jewish) However, for the most part, and this is really important the majority of them are just folks trying to get by
    So my long-winded point?
    Well, as Jim Morrison said: "People are strange when you're a stranger."
    Perhaps you should atttempt to view your current community in a less contentious light. Surely there are some good riding type folks that you can get along with, after all. I hate to sound like Miss Sunshine and Light but you are stuck there for awhile, and you might as well try to find the good where you are-it'll make living there so much easier for all concerned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GO-dog-GO:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Good thing there were enough open minded people like you to change the vote but it's been a wild ride. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't "open minded" people try to _understand_ the dynamics of the local area?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the "dynamics". If that were always the case, we could still be living in a segregated existance. I don't believe that just because so and so's family has lived somewhere for generations they should get bumped ot the front of the line. And I would hope were I so and so, I would have the class and manners to say, why thank you for your wonderful service but I believe this lovely young lady has been here longer than I. Seeing as how that's what us "normal everyday" folks do. I think it is great to live in a quaint old fashion or different area and try to blend in. I also think it is okay not to.

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

It's funny, this issue of me getting along seems to come in waves. I do have some wonderful friends and acquaintences here--but interestingly most of them aren't natives either (not Californians, but not native Va'ers). That's not on purpose, just seems to have worked out that way.

On most days, I don't really think about all these issues--I just ride my horses, do my job, and go on with my life. But then something will happen that will set me off to the races happens and I kind of flip out.

In this case it was a thread bashing S.L. (who by the way, I don't know at all)--but this is an argument I've had about a million times face to face with people--so it isn't exactly new ground in my argument file, LOL. In other cases it has been the causual use of the "n" word, the insult of my home and family, or the false pity I get for not being a local.

I probably should have just stayed out of this thread, but it's a real hot button issue for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In other cases it has been the causual use of the "n" word, the insult of my home and family, or the false pity I get for not being a local.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I apologize for my earlier post. I must have sounded terribly "preachy". If this is what you frequently encounter,it is both rude and/or racist and should not be tolerated.

No No jl, actually your post didn't bother me.

THis thread has made me think a lot, and I guess it comes down to this. Last I checked one of our sacred rights as Americans was to be able to move freely and live where we wanted. No where does it say that we can only move to a place if we are willing to live in the same manner as everyone's else who is already there.

If I choose to live here, I shouldn't be required to think, behave, or speak like everyone else here. I shouldn't have to go against my personal belief system in order to fit in. That being said, you aren't required to change your thoughts, behavior or speech to live next door to me. We may not be best friends, but there's no reason we can't be neighbors. Or so I would think--but clearly, I'm wrong.

Wanna know what's funny... When sombody [north or south] uses the "n" word around me and I point out my niece and nephew are black. The look on thier face is priceless, their sure I'm gonna kill em. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

-- Kit Carson**

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If I choose to live here, I shouldn't be required to think, behave, or speak like everyone else here. I shouldn't have to go against my personal belief system in order to fit in. That being said, you aren't required to change your thoughts, behavior or speech to live next door to me. We may not be best friends, but there's no reason we can't be neighbors. Or so I would think--but clearly, I'm wrong. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rotten deal but that seem to be the way it is many places. I decided to not winter in SC anymore because the things I didn't like there out weighed the things I did. I was lucky I could make that choice.

I think a lot of is that people think "new" people will change their life for the worse, many times they do. Because of that many people only want people they "know" around.

How do you let people know "your" OK other then letting them get to know you over time.

-- Kit Carson**

Thanks for being gracious, Heather.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If I choose to live here, I shouldn't be required to think, behave, or speak like everyone else here. I shouldn't have to go against my personal belief system in order to fit in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's why my father left England shortly after WWII-he wanted to live in a less class-ridden society.
    That said, I think you should develop a snappy repertoire for the inane.
    When the word nigger is used, I would shudder and reply something to the effect of "Oh that is so dreadfully common". Notice that I deliberately didn�t say racist, as that might not be construed as awful as being downright vulgar.
    If they knock California-I would be tempted to snap back a quick "California is noted for good wines, movies, and computer technology. What has Virginia produced besides Robert E. Lee and grits?"
    And finally, if they cast aspersions because you weren't "born and bred" there, I'd reply, "Well, as my family is opposed to inbreeding-I come from an area with a bigger gene pool."
    You get my drift.

The point has been raised several times about not moving into an area and attempting to change the area.

I hardly think this is a matter of trying to change the community. Trying to change (Upperville?) would be staging protests in town. Telling the hunt they no longer have access to a piece of property is something any number of landowners do. And since when does every resident of Middleburg, Upperville, Leesburg, etc. own and ride horses? Or condone foxhunting, for that matter?

And will someone please explain to me what makes this particular farm a detriment to the community, other than the fact that foxhunting isn't allowed on the property anymore? Is it the progressive agricultural practices? The restoration of a deterioriating house? Is it that the philanthropies that this farm owner chooses to donate to (for example, animal welfare projects), aren't supported by some other members of the community?

Are there requirements somewhere for what you have to believe in in order to live in Fauquier County?

Seems like this is an area of VA where money talks, but some folks just don't like what this money has to say...

If one considers it hypocritical of a foxhunt-banning-on-his/her-property landowner to donate to a hunt staff, it follows (to me anyway) that one should also consider it hypocritical of that hunt staff to accept that donation.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Sounds like the guy out where I live that complained in the letters to the editor page in our local newspaper about the corn husks that fall off of the corn trucks this time of year. The thing is, Brentwood, CA is famous for its white corn, and just because they are building 10 golf courses a day and 5,000 houses an hour doesn't mean that it still isn't a cow town and a farming community! That is supposed to be the "charm" of this area, that beyond all the new golf courses there is still more farm land than not!!!

http://www.brentwoodoaks.com
    Chloe's new home!
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

Liberty, I agree.

-- Kit Carson**

Is it possible that the people y'all are talking about didn't know it was hunt country when they moved there?? I have no idea who or what area of the country, I'm just sticken' my nose in where it probably doesn't belong.

When I moved here in '92 (job related) I had no idea what the area was like, and actually thought Fox Hunting was an English thing.

Heather... you get made fun of for being from CA, girl try being from Arkansas!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] If anyone else asks me if it is true that 'Daddy french kisses best' I may litterally hit them... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Hell, just work the word 'Arkansas' into a conversation in the area I live in and people start laughing. I try to hang out with people from CA just to help my image! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] A friend of mine recently told me that he thought Southerns were 'evil, backwards and ignorant' and yes, he KNOWS I'm from the South.

~Arkie clique~

"Do, or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda