The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

See, I find this funny, because to me, stating the "community's issue" with this person is about hunting or not hunting, is sort of like saying the fight over foxhuting is about foxes. Riiiiiiigggghhhhttt.

I'm sure the incredibly frosty reception she recieved had NOTHING to do with her being a "California Radical" (the name I have heard her called by several prominant folk) who "dared" to be new money and use it to buy a "sacred" peice of land to the community. Never mind that if she hadn't bought it it would have been transformed into a billion McMansions, since the "wonderful"
    people who owned it before had never done anything to protect it.

Apparently nobody sent her the memo that only old money foxhunting families are allowed to live and be welcome here.

And, it cracks me up how the people around here scream property rights, property rights . . . until a neighbor does something with their property that they don't like then it's "I want to have a say over their property too--only my rights are important". (Although it should be added she has hosted several drag hunting days through her property)

THis is a tiny, incestuous, back-biting, un-welcoming communtiy, and I admire this person for not being bullied by the big names. She made the money herself, she bought the property herself and she damn well can do whatever she want with them. End of story--if being pro-foxhunting is requirment of living here, then the communtiy would do well to put a sign to that effect on the way in to town.

Heather, another california radical who hates the tiny mindedness of this area, and who has been treated like total crap because I'm not "a people" (as in "who are your people?"). S.L. you go girl!

I wasn't going to respond to this but I will. We are not "a people" too but when we moved out here, we acclimated ourselves to the area. The general jist of this thread is when you have people move into an area and then try to change it to their ideal.

This reminds of Americans who move overseas and then bitch that its not like America at all or don't try to speak the language. See how far that attitude takes you.

No one said that these people had to fox hunt or condone fox hunting. However, I remember when they moved in and made a big deal about being against fox hunting. It wasn't that they pulled the property out of the hunt. Hunts lose property, and sometimes gain it back, more frequently than they would like. However, it was the attitude and approach taken that pissed people off.

"I'd be more tactful, if I were wrong."

Funny I'd expect to be unwelcome if I moved to CA, bought a big section of a popular surfing area and banned surfing. But I'd show those damm surfers that it was mine now and I'd do as I pleased! To hell with em.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

**"The cowards won't start and the weak will die along the trail."
    -- Kit Carson**

*Lord please save me from those trying to save me!*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> THis is a tiny, incestuous, back-biting, un-welcoming communtiy, and I admire this person for not being bullied by the big names. She made the money herself, she bought the property herself and she damn well can do whatever she want with them. End of story--if being pro-foxhunting is requirment of living here, then the communtiy would do well to put a sign to that effect on the way in to town.

Heather, another california radical who hates the tiny mindedness of this area, and who has been treated like total crap because I'm not "a people" (as in "who are your people?"). S.L. you go girl! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange, I don't know if we're talking about the same "town in the USA" but if your talking about Middleburg VA, I've spent two winters there and been nothing but welcomed by a wide varity of people that live there.

I've made many great new friends in VA and look forward to getting back.

Heather why do you think people treat you like 'crap', just because you aren't from there or because of what you do/think?

-- Kit Carson**

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

When we go house-hunting, we visit the neighbourhood at all hours of the day...and night. We want to know what really goes on before we think of moving somewhere. Extensive foot work and research is always in order before making that Big Purchase. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

One place we looked at appeared to be a cute little community with flowers on porches and neatly manicured lawns and neatly painted homes. We drove through at 2 a.m. and it was Crack Alley. We witnessed at least 6 drug transactions in less than 1 mile. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Where we currently live, we did the same thing. We drove through at 12 noon, 5 pm and at 2 a.m. Nothing changed. No night activities to speak of, most homes looked respectable, except the place we bought... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] , but there was also a lot of whiat you find in the back woods areas: trash dumps. We knew they were on the property we bought and we knew that the next door neighbour had an active pile in the woods. We knew the folks at the cider mill made cider and wine at 2 a.m. in the fall. We also knew about the herd of cattle across the road, and during our 2 a.m. visit, we heard them "chatting". If we weren't willing to deal with any of this, we would have continued to look.

Northcountry, surely you noticed the odd appliance/pieces of trash on the side of the road when you originally checked out your neighbourhood? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by northcountry:
    I love the town and love my house in its setting, but some things just aren't right, and I suppose I see it because of my different perspective.

I won't even bore anyone with the details of how the end of my road is sometimes used as a dumping ground for unwanted appliances, trash, and construction debris.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I don't go looking for a place that contrasts with my ideals of what I want. I hate the nosey neighbours who want to know everything you're doing...that is why I moved OUT of my condo, where one person actually had the nerve to tell me that people who can't afford new cars shouldn't be allowed to live there (referring to my 1966 T-Bird).

One would think that one would not want to move someplace where they have no common interests with the neighbourhood. If you don't ride, or like horses, really, you have no business moving into an equestrian community, and expecting them to change their lifestyle to meet with YOUR approval. If you want to move someplace like that, fine, but don't complain to your neighbours that you disapprove of their activities, once you've moved in. That is just gauche.

~<>~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~<>~

[This message was edited by creseida on Aug. 26, 2002 at 01:06 PM.]

Burning plastic products is the ONE thing that really irritates me. VERY bad for the air quality.

I like living in farm country and don't want any stores closer. I have crops on either side of me, but, if someone fences it and puts in cattle, I'll be happy.

Sadly, I worry that someone is going to buy it and put in tract housing.

It will be developed, it isn't if, it is when [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] .

So, Dublin, what book should I read to be "in the know" on this thread?

Mel
    (my email is in my profile if it shouldn't be added to the thread)

Ya know Heather, I can't figure out why you would live somewhere you hated that much.

But assuming it was Middleburg, or any where else in the South, you have to understand that to Southerners, family is everything. So we are just trying to place you. And we frequently find family connections. And mutual friends. So it isn't necessarily being a snob.

But if you go into any area and compare it unfavorably to wherever you came from and tell them how to 'improve' it, expect to get the cold shoulder and not make any friends.

My mother could probably find a relative or family connection on the moon. But I expect you would just hate her. Sad, really.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Go Dog Go - I am trying to figure out your issue with this person. Is it because they choose to not allow foxhunting on their property and are as outspoken about it as you are about the fact that you support it? Is it because they chose to buy land in a beautiful part of the country and then chose to do what they wanted with their own property, bought and paid for by them? Maybe they felt that by buying property in the heart of foxhunting country and taking a stand against it, it would matter more than say if they bought a tract of land in Oklahoma where no one would really care?

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GO-dog-GO:

In VT we call em "life style" buyers. They want the "lfestyle" of the country but not what comes with it, guns, hunting, smelly farms, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, barking dogs, limited services, etc. etc.
    QUOTE]

Hrmmmmmm, I DO hate noise too! Maybe I need some sort of spiffy label. I don't have much money, so I don't imagine "buyer" should be involved.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Sometimes I think some of y'alls have far too much time on your hands.....the whining, the complaining..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Don't squat with your spurs on
    - A Cowboy's Guide to Life
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

If someone will e-mail me the title [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

This all reminds me of when I lived in northern Minnesota, in what many people would think of as a "resort town" but which was plain ole' home for me. Some of the "612ers" (the area code of the twin cities before they added three more!) would buy lakeshore and then winge when people actually used motorboats on the lake or snowmobiled across it. There's the person on my sister's road who has snippity signs posted to SLOW DOWN and BE QUIET and KEEP OFF PROPERTY. This contrasts immensely with the year-round residents who will pick up your Wednesday paper because they were out anyway, bring it up to your unlocked house, set it on the table and give your dog a treat while they're there.

Perhaps the funniest thing I've ever heard is from a person who bought a nice lakeshore lot and was building cabin, and was up to inspect how things were going. The mosquitos were thick, as they usually are, and she said "Don't you people SPRAY for mosquitos???" Uh, honey, this is northern MN. That would mean no.

No one can teach riding so well as a horse.
    -C.S. Lewis

Getting? What's with the GETTING?
    Seems EXTREMELY cranky to me!

Also, I find it hilarious that the "property rights" crowd will get snobby about someone coming in, "buying property" like you're supposed to, and then being treated as an outsider. How hypocritical is that?

"Everything that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
    Nietzsche

Well it truly is a fabulous place that S.L owns. It will be well maintained as she is loaded and she can do with it what she pleases. I was unaware that drag hunts had been allowed. Perhaps in time she will change her mind. Perhaps the old money hunt folk were not very nice to her when she moved in? Not likely she really cares cause when your a billionare do you really care what us lowly peasants on the BB think. To each his own! At least she let's the peasants tromp thorugh her place for fundraising events. I'm glad she let me see such a magnificent place! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by creseida:
    One place we looked at appeared to be a cute little community with flowers on porches and neatly manicured lawns and neatly painted homes. We drove through at 2 a.m. and it was Crack Alley. We witnessed at least 6 drug transactions in less than 1 mile. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh dear I think that's my old neighbourhood [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

I grew up in the country, in a village of 150 people, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say not only do I dislike people who move somehwere and then try to change everything I dislike tourists too!!!

OK, having got that off my chest, whew! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] , I agree with GDGs surfing analogy- GDG you would be run out of town (I used to live near many surfing communities) UNLESS you bought the whole town all the surrounding land, put a fence around it and charged people to come in- oh wait that already happened- Pebble Beach anyone???

I also agree with Cresedia- check out where you want to live before moving there. Guess I'm just a crotchety young fart [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] but I don't understand why you would move somewhere becasue you loved it and then try to CHANGE everything!

Could it have been some of the same people who made fun of the Johnsons and said she would probably serve chitterlings & watermelon at the hunt breakfasts???

- A Cowboy's Guide to Life
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bgoosewood:
    Could it have been some of the same people who made fun of the Johnsons and said she would probably serve chitterlings & watermelon at the hunt breakfasts???

- A Cowboy's Guide to Life<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen. God forbid someone different come to town with their new fangled notions.

Why is it when locals would like to preserve the character, and dare I say it, the civility of their community they're regarded as backwards bigots?

"It ain't no sin to take off your skin, and dance around in your bones." Tom Waits

Joliemom, I don't think that is the case. the point I am trying to make is that if you have ideas that are different than what is accepted by the majority of the community, it seems that you are not welcomed with as open arms as perhaps Go Dog Go was.

Miniwelsh, I should have just posted it on the fox hunting thread but being a cranky old man I decided it would not get enough exposure.

I don't know the person I mentioned in the first post; it would seem that they might post on the COTH BB now though. It was a story I heard this winter. WHY I pointed it out is so many people that don't do any sort of hunting [NOT saying this person] feel that have no adverse impact on wildlife, only the people who "pull the trigger" so to speak do. The "life style" we all enjoy has done more long-term harm to many wild animals then the comparative handful of animal killed by hunters. Canada Geese and whitetail deer are two notable exceptions.

It seems a strange coincidence to me that someone would be apposed to fox hunting and donate to a hunting staff soon after opening a local restaurant. The owner may not need money but they didn't open a restaurant to have it fail.

To my rural, poorly educated, gun crazed mind it appeared to be hypocritical and an example of wanting it both ways. I.E. I don't like fox hunting, I reducing the area of your hunt, but please eat at my place.

Maybe I'm wrong, it happens a lot. There may be a "million" reasons that they donated to the hunt staff Xmas bonus. I may have been misinformed. If they post on COTH come tell me what the real story is. Email me in confidence if you'd like. Maybe the story I heard is two one-sided.

There are only about 3-4 people in the world I don't get along with in real life. May of my friends are anti gun/hunting and I respect the opinion of people when "all the cards are on the table". I actually don't care if someone is ...er....uh....not my type of person as long as they are what they say and don't try to impose their way of think on me.

If the person who may be the topic of this post is a COTH BBer I meant no personal insult and apologize if my topic/post has caused you concern or anguish. If you care for a personal apology feel free to contact via email and I will be happy to give you one via email, snailmail, or in person this winter.

-- Kit Carson**

Thanks for clearing that up Go Dog Go. As for the donation, I gues they can do what they want with their money and their property. Just as the members of the community can now make a decision whether to support this person's restaurant.

I live here because at the moment, financially, I have no other choice--I love my husband, his pay check is twice mine, and his job is not transferable to another part of the country.

Sample comments I have heard?

"Oh, you're from California? Poor thing, thank god you got out, Huh?"

"Oh you weren't born in Virginia? Guess you don't have any relatives of note."

You can see how angry it makes people to have their "homeland" slighted--look at all the negative reactions to my post (which was a bit on purpose). Now imagine coming somwehre where it seems to be acceptable to bash and make jokes about the place you grew up and love and is always the home of your heart. Even if people are "joking", well, it gets hard to take after awhile.

I had a pair of Jewish friends who tried to buy property and move to this area called, "Land grubbing (insert jewish slur here)" to their faces (they were avid foxhunters by the way). I have heard every racial and ethnic slur known to mankind. I was told that I better not think of dating so-and-so because "I wasn't the right breeding" (luckily I was already engaged and had no interest in said person). I am sick to death of going to stores, standing in a line, and having the whole line served ahead of me (including people behind me)because I'm not "in the club".

I'm certain this is "standard operating procdure" for small-town life in the East and south. And, I'm not even saying it's wrong or right. I just wish the people here could feel the same. There is the Virginia/Middleburg Way, and there is the wrong way. If the people here enjoy their old traditions, that's fine, nothing wrong with it. BUT, there should be nothing wrong with me NOT wanting to participate, or become indoctranated. I'm proud to be a liberal girl from the northern wilds of California.

The point (and I do have one) is that my vitriol about this area is certainly a defense mechanism on my part to the vitriol directed towards my home. if they would lay, then so would I.

(Childish, you bet, but I never claimed to be mature, LOL).