The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

GDG - having gone through school before the current trend to right-think before knowledge, I KNOW "Live Free or Die" is NH - it's still my attitude...and notice, I don't specify as to just who will die if my right to live free is threatened ... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Re: hunters. Didn't mean ALL hunters are drunken idiots. We have bevies who come out from the cities and they qualify pretty much 95%+. That's why my neighbors get to hunt my land and the tourists don't.

HEY! I already have a gun rack. Also a boat winch for loading carts into the bed. I'm ready!!!!

I must say this thread, (all seven pages of it) is far more captivating than the dredged up again "other" topic.

Kudos to the landowner in question for placing her property in consevation easements. And for farming organically. Which brings me to another reason she may be against fox hunting on her property.

There are strict regulations concerning organic farming. Calling cards left behind by horses not fed a strictly organic diet, immunized, or treated with antibiotics recently could blow the whole organic thing out of wack for three years.

An organic farm must be pesticide, artificial fertilizer free, among other criteria, for three years before the farmer can begin producing organics on the land.

Ruby, Thanks for your input on organic gardening. Their's more to that situation then is posted here and it would be to "personal" to post it.

**"The cowards won't start and the weak will die along the trail."
    -- Kit Carson**

*Lord please save me from those trying to save me!*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bgoosewood:
    Perhaps I am just sensitive to this whole city folks v. country folks subject. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then you might giggle when you read my two comments. I live rural but w/in commuting distance of the city. A new couple, one mile away, bought 20 acres, put a "barn" of sorts on it and their Winnebago. They spend weekends out there soaking up the wildlife. They offered to sell me the hay which had been cut on their land. "Hay?" I asked as I looked at 15 acres of wheat straw in square bales. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] While they were polite and kind, they didn't have a clue as to what the difference was between hay and straw. Since their land smacks right up beside a state park they will find out what deer hunting is all about in 90 days. Hope the Winnebago has bullet proof glass..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

On the other side of the county a family's home has become surrounded by 5 acre "lots" w/ large homes built on them. No more pasture behind or beside them, except their 10 acres. They keep 2 miniture donkeys. The neighbors, none have lived there longer than 5 years, are in an uproar because of the noise the in tact male donkey makes. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Guess country living isn't "exactly" as the new folks thought it would be. I say keep on keeping donkeys! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

SLW
    "It is I."

You know that place with the nude beaches? Not there.

Winglet is still alive! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] It's all about Winglet!

I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it left!
    www.geocities.com/winglet18
    Driven insane in the carpool lane...

Now, about this notion that all "old timers" want things status quo, and the "newcomers" want restrictions - that's all wet.

You can't assume that everyone who's been living in a community for a long time wants things just the way they are, or wants their neighbors to have the freedom to do whatever they want with their land. The shooting range analogy rang a bell with me, because that's exactly what happened near my parent's house, also here in SoMD. One neighbor (long-time resident with lots of land) decided he wanted to open a shooting range on his property. Other long-time residents with equally lengthy ties to the area (eg, Mom, who was born and raised there) fought mightily to stop him. The 'rents said it sounded like people were shooting in their backyard. Another neighbor is a member of the board of the local foxhunt, and he was strongly opposed to the shooting range, too.

The anti's prevailed - no shooting range. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    I think that farmer is still mad at all the neighbors who mobilized to infringe on his right to use his property however he saw fit.

My redneck neighbors like to shoot firecrackers off their back porch (nevermind that they were firing into drought-parched woods adjacent to my barn), and dump trash on the power line land that borders both of our property. According to the argument some seem to be making in this thread, they have the right to do those things, since they were here first. Since I'm the newcomer, I have no right to complain - is that what I'm hearing?

I think everyone who has posted here has a personal list of things they wouldn't allow on their property, or condone on their neighbors. Mostly, we seem to draw the line at things we personally enjoy or abhor. I think dirt bikes are noisy and tear up the land - not welcome on my property. I have one friend whom I trust, who is allowed to kill deer on my land, but I wouldn't let anyone else. And he's not allowed to kill wild turkeys, doves, or anything else - just deer.

We don't worry a lot about snowmobilers down here in the sunny semi-south. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It is very interesting that so many people move to the country to have this dream life with nature and animals. Having absolutely no idea what it entails! Too escape the city must be a bit of relief.

I think the bad rep hunters get from the more-than-a-few bad apples is probably here to stay - no matter where you live.

Other than picking up empty beer cans & liquor bottles out of my field once deer season starts here, my "fondest" hunting memory is coming home one evening a couple of years ago & driving past a young man in full camoflage walking down the road with a gun in one hand & a bottle of Jack Daniels in the other. How very "Norman Rockwell". Brought a tear to my eye.

And it isn't just the deer hunters. I notice that something that hasn't been mentioned here at all is the foxhunters who need much, much more than a "nip" to brave the fences!! And I've had more than one admit as much to me.

I don't care if they're hunting fox, deer, turkey, moles, rats, butterflies. . . If they're swilling it back & carrying a firearm or galloping around like an idiot - they're not doing it on my property. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer- upper".

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

I cannot help but wonder if some people (I am speaking generally here) who have more than enough money and too much time on their hands, deliberately move to an area with conflicting beliefs to their own. Then, using their monetary influence, do their best to "rock the little world" they've moved into, just for sh*ts and giggles.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I think the whole point to GDG's post here is this:
    If you avidly disagree with a particular cultural aspect, whatever it may be, why on earth would you WANT to move someplace where said cultural/geographical aspect is not only prevalent, but a significant part of the foundation of that cultural/geographical enclave? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] Moving to such an area makes encountering that which you dislike, unavoidable. Why do it?

I mean it is like, if you hate the beach, salt-air dries your skin, surfer-dudes irritate the heck out of you, and you wish sand never existed, why move into a beach-front community? Malibu should not rank as a place you'd want to live. People for whom surfing is The Thing they like to do generally won't pick Montana as a prime location; they will congregate in an area where they can partake in their particular cultural activities, namely the beach, and places like Malibu.

Yes, if you were to purchase some prime beachfront property in Malibu, it would be your choice to open it up to surfers or not. But if surfers irritate the heck out of you, why would you intentionally move someplace where you cannot help but be surrounded by the element you so despise??? Where the surf culture is embedded in every grain of sand on the beach? Are you a masochist? If you don't like surfers, the beach, sand or salt air, don't move to Malibu!

Unless of course, you thrive on creating discord in a community, and like deliberately p*ssing people off...then by all means, buy up a huge chunk of beach and ban the surfers. You will definitely be noticed...and despised.

~<>~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~<>~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thegreenchair:
    It is very interesting that so many people move to the country to have this dream life with nature and animals. Having absolutely no idea what it entails! Too escape the city must be a bit of relief.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And there is the story of the 30 something, big city born and raised, drop dead good looking, brunette who lives in the 4,000 square foot house down the road from me who phoned the sheriff's department because "There is a great big snapping turtle in my driveway, will you all please come take it away before it hurts my boys?" No kidding....... I give her some credit because she tells that story about herself.

SLW
    "It is I."

Maybe because there is more to every community than just one element... there is more to Malibu than surfing and there is more to Middleburg than hunting... I'm not a fan of hunting, but I enjoy Middleburg and go there often.

But who knows why anyone does anything? Sometimes people don't even know themselves why they do something. Maybe this person just liked Middleburg and just wanted to live there.

~Arkie clique~

"Do, or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GO-dog-GO:
    I know this is much different from what many of you are used to but I grew up walking out the door and hunting or riding my dirt bike anywhere I wanted. Many times I didn't know who's land I was on and in those days it didn't matter. Now in much of VT you'll find people in their PJ's holding the NY Times and a cup of Green Mountain Roasters coffee, screaming at you to get off their land as you walk along the edge of a field 200 yards from their home.
    *Lord please save me from those trying to save me!*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA HA! Of course where I grew up people ask you right politely to get off their land... of course they are holding their shotgun as opposed to their morning coffee! We don't take lightly to rudeness in the South.

I don't know if it is legal to recreate on other people's land or not - we just always went ahead and asked first!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

~Arkie clique~

"Do, or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

My hubby will never get the city mentality out of his blood, even though he does like living in the country. He wants to fence the ENTIRE property, every square inch of it, even though I only want to fence areas that I can use as pasture. "...But someone can cut through the corner of the property over there! Let me throw up a couple of sections of fence and.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] NO!

It has taken Hubby 5 years to get over the fact that flies are a fact of life on a horse farm, and yes they do get inside the house.

Yahoo's live in the country. They live here because they don't want people telling them what to do. Remember, Hubby, that's why YOU moved here, remember?

Of late, I have been dealing with the local wildlife, namely one not-yet-fully mature Masked Bandit. He's a persistent little guy, I'll give him that much. Kinda cute, too. He's giving the barn cat a fit, coming in and eating her food and washing his "hands" in her water bowl. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] *HORRORS!* He HAD been stealing the entire container that I kept the cat food in, before I started keeping it in my metal locker. He stole 3 container's worth before I caught on that I wasn't "misplacing" the cat food jar. That and finding one of the empty jars with teeth marks in it tossed in the horse's food bucket... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

The Little Bandit is getting braver, which IS a concern, but.... The other night, while I was cleaning Cressy's stall, I hear what sounds like the cat eating her food, albeit a bit noisier than normal. So I pop my head into the feedroom, and the little masked dude skitters out and runs back toward the woods. Only then do I notice the barn cat is outside the feedroom sitting on top of the fence, well out of harm's way. (Smart kitty.)

Last night, I'm cleaning the stall, and look back towards the woods, and...guess who's tootling his way toward the barn. Mr. MB himself. I start walking towards him and hiss at him, and wave my manure fork around. He turns and runs back under the fence toward the woods. I go back to work. I look out a few minutes later, and guess who is on his way back through the paddock.... Okay, enough already. I take a fork full of manure and launch it at him. It lands like a foot in front of him. He retreats back to the other side of the fence and watches me. I see him considering his options.... He tried a third time, and gets hit by the flying manure this time, before giving up, at least for this day.

I tell Hubby about the Masked Marauder. City-Boy Hubby wants to fill him with lead. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I told him only when I say so, and that won't happen unless he acts rabid. Right now he is looking and behaving very much like any normal, healthy, adolescent raccoon, looking for a free meal and a bit of mischief. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

One day Hubby'll learn that since we're in the country, that he has to share with the other local indigenous inhabitants. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

~<>~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~<>~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlowerPower:
    Maybe because there is more to every community than just one element... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course there is more to M'Burg than just foxhunting. There is GOSSIP, too! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] But seriously, yes there are other elements to the town, but foxhunting is a MAJOR aspect of the culture. It is not hidden. If you actively dispise foxhunting, why move to the heart of foxhunting country? You will only make yourself miserable by being surrounded by that which gets your knickers in a knot. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But, if you DO decide to move there, knowing full well that you are in the hot-bed of the foxhunting community, you really have no business dissing those who live there already and partake of foxhunting. That will not put you in your neighbour's good graces, to say the least. It certainly won't make you welcome in the community, and in turn you probably won't enjoy living in that community.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

For that and the spelling error [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    I had a feeling I had that wrong [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]