The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

in Palatka, about 45 minutes north of me... for photos go to

www.saddleuptack.com/lucky.htm

WARNING: Photos are GRAPHIC [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

in Palatka, about 45 minutes north of me... for photos go to

WARNING: Photos are GRAPHIC [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

that's horrible!! that poor horse! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
    "If all goes well, you've overlooked something."
    "Humpty Dumpty was pushed."
    http://community.webshots.com/user/domino4100

Is he ok? Will he recover? Poor horse! I've seen horses bit on the nose by dogs, but never like that. I wonder how they ever got the dog off? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
    Check out my barn's site:
    Centre Equestre de la Houssaye
    *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
    Comment est-ce qu'on dit <quiche> en anglais? Mapi LaJoux

[This message was edited by Medievalist on Oct. 10, 2002 at 06:37 PM.]
    ---WHX---

Unfortunately, one of my friend's horses (a gorgeous tennessee walker) was attacked by a pit bull as they were riding down the street, the dog, a "family pet", latched onto the horse's nose and would NOT let go, horse survived, but was terribly mangled.

They're dangerous because once they clamp down, they don't let go. You never know with pit bulls, that's what they're bred to do.

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

did you contact the owners? You should check to see if the dog has his rabies vaccine up to date. If I was you, I would've beaten that dog till is was no more or send it to the lab so it can be tested for rabies, either or, the dog would end up dead. Then, I would get a police report, contact the owners and get them to pay for the vet bills, medical supplies and whatother fees that you might have due to this.

http://www.dmtc.com/dmtc98/Pedigree/
    Look up your TB's bloodlines

Now it's back to the lab....
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

Something similar happened when I was growing up. A pit bull got out on a trail in Palos Verdes and chased a horse and rider down. The dog grabbed the horse by the neck and locked it's jaws right around the jugular vein. The horse had to be euthanized right there on the trail. It must have been 25 years ago, but I can still picture the article in the paper. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

urg. Where are the stupid dog owners?

I'd be giving their dog back to them in a ziplock bag.

~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

The child was riding down the trail near where the dog was being looked after{owner supposedly in jail]

The dog attacked the horse driving it into a pond,I really don't know how they got the dog off the horse.Police shot the dog,owner reappeared furious his dog had been shot.

Horse has multiple cuts and tears plus a problem beginning with P ????is,which was a bacteria that entered the wounds while it was in the pond.

Child and family are completely traumatized by the incident,they have little money and love the horse dearly,I think the horse is 22.

I heard a fund has been set up for donations I can find out where and post for you.Obviously vet costs are going to be high,but it looks as though the horse will survive so long as she can overcome the infection it got from the pond water.

fernie fox
    "I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound".
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

if you go to that site, there is a full account and one of the local tack stores is setting up a fund...

I don't know these people personally, as Fernie says I saw this on another board...

The dog IS dead. The owner of dog in custody on an unrelated charge.

Those special moments come and go...a photographer makes them last a lifetime!

I have a thing against Pit's anyway...working at a vet's office, I haven't seen one that I've liked. Sorry if that's stereotyping(sp?) all of them...it's just my opinion. When I hear of something like this...it just makes my feelings that much stronger!

What a horrid thing for both the horse and child to have to go through! I don't even want to imagine~ Hopefully the dog was killed when they shot it. The owner should be liable if the dog was loose!!!! They should have to pay the vet bills!!!

Natalie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

***3 weeks to go and counting~WHOO HOO***and my unborn child already has her spurs on....OUCH!!!
    www.kimballphotography.smugmug.com
    ~*~Mom of the wonderful Nikolas aka \"Niko\"~*~
    **Proud member of The Colorful blinb-bling helmet, SCgirls, BGSGand the EquinePhotog (do we have one yet?) cliques**

That's horrible! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] That poor sweet horse! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

~Erin B #1
    "You know, recently I've gained five pounds. Do you think it's because I'm a cannibal?" -Colin Mochrie

... I found myself smiling when the author reported that the dog had been shot; smiling when the dog's owner appeared in handcuffs. Similar things have happened in NYC -- a very high-profile case involving an elderly man whose ears were ripped off, for starters. I love pits and I know some wonderful pits, but any dog "allowed" to become feral will eventually become feral.

Here's hoping the neighbors take it upon themselves to put those other dogs out of their misery before another horse (or cat or dog or child) is mangled or killed.

"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will." -- Alois Podhajsky

"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony."
    \"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will.\" -- Alois Podhajsky

\"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony.\"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InWhyCee:
    Here's hoping the neighbors take it upon themselves to put those other dogs out of their misery before another horse (or cat or dog or child) is mangled or killed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely at this stage it's not up to the owners - since their dogs are proven attackers they should be seized and put to sleep?

And frankly I'm surprised that the policeman didn't shoot the dog(s) when they went for him - IME they generally shoot first, ask questions later when threatened.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baileybff:
    I have a thing against Pit's anyway...working at a vet's office, I haven't seen one that I've liked. Sorry if that's stereotyping(sp?) all of them...it's just my opinion. When I hear of something like this...it just makes my feelings that much stronger!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of the nicest, safest dogs I have been around have been pit bulls and other bull terrier types of dogs. The only problem with the pit bull is that it was bred for strong jaw strength and to not let go when it does decide to bite. In the hands of a bad owner, that can be a bad thing. But all things considered, you are much more likely to be bit by "Lady" the cocker spaniel!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I assume she wasn't an owner -- and if she was, well, I hope Lucky's owners SUE her too. This isn't a loose dog story; it's assault, it's animal neglect, it's malicious destruction of property.

As for the policeman -- yes, I'm VERY surprised. What was he waiting for? Would he need a warrant by Florida law? Frightening.

PS: On a entirely different (and happier) note, the women at Saddle Up Tack are WONDERFUL. I bought my boots and helmet online and their customer service is without equal! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will." -- Alois Podhajsky

\"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will.\" -- Alois Podhajsky

I am setting up a donation for them at my feedstore(which is mentioned in the article). Hopefully, this will help with any medication or feed that they may need, since I know that their vet bills will be atrocious. How horrific for the children.

Agreed -- One of my school horses and I were once attacked and chased by a little Spitz-cross that I will always refer to as "Fluffy."

Dear "Fluffy" almost had me killed, and I guarantee that if he had been caught that day, his dear negligent owner would be in court, and dear collar-less, leash-less Fluffy would be living under house arrest in another state. (In NY, vicious dogs may be "deported.") To this day, I have difficulty riding out of doors; if I see a dog, I begin having a panic attack.

OK, I'm venting, but I need to! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

What a terrible story! The poor girl riding, the poor horse and the poor parents.

It's too sad to even imagine. Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon for horses to be terrorized by loose dogs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Sending jingles and good wishes to Lucky!!
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

My horse was attacked while in his paddock, eating his breakfast years ago by the neighbors two german shephards. The dogs were guard dogs at their factory and the people brought them home for a long weekend. They let them out, unsupervised, because they were "so well trained". They proceeded to kill both of their goats and then headed over to our house and attacked my QH. It took weeks and weeks for the puncture wounds to heal on his back legs and he capped both of his hocks on the fence when he was kicking at them.

I love dogs, but there is a reason for a leash law. Dogs should be fenced and/or leashed at all times. Even the nicest, sweetest dog can turn under the right circumstances.

That poor horse. I hope he recovers ok. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]