The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hey. Did they make you sick before? Does the thought of eating bugs make you squeamish? If you are really worried about it then why not try collecting your own mushrooms. You will be able to know where they came from. Just make sure you are familiar with the different species in your area and hopefully have someone who is already familiar around to show you which to eat and which to not. Mushrooms can be grown hydroponically.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    All of the straw bedding/manure from our 70 horse carriage stable is picked up by a local mushroom farm. The only thing I ever wondered is how they get the urine out; I was always under the impression that manure contaminated by urine was no good for plants. I guess the steaming thing must do it...

In any event, I will continue to eat mushrooms with relish (no, not that kind of relish) and abandon. I have pretty much given up on worrying about contamination; just staying away from processed foods and moving toward whole foods as much as I can is hard enough. Besides, with Monsanto and GM crops and everything else breathing down our necks and messing up our gullets and worse, a little bute and wormer doesn't seem so bad

LOL, nah, urine is manure, too.
    Matter of fact, when my cousin switched from deep litter to twice daily mucking, my aunt was worried how she would get good manure for her cold frame. Nice straw, seasoned for a good week!

But yeah, Monsanto is worse than the Antichrist....
    At least one can cut down on the pain killers when therre is bute in the food chain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

When I lived in PA, the mushroom growers used to get the straw and horse manure from barns to use for growing mushrooms. The mushroom growers did not want shavings, just straw.

Then they'd add the mushroom spawn, and let them grow. Some were in caves.

I've also seen mushrooms grown on oak wood. One guy at a local farmer's market grows some mushrooms that way. I love portabella mushroom sandwiches.

You can also find magic mushrooms in horse manure and cow manure.

Try to buy local at your farmers' market so you get your local germs/drugs etc. I once asked the farmer at Soulard Market in St Louis how he knew the great wild mushrooms he was selling us each weekend were "safe." He said because no one had died yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    This is another one of those times I read something and think "Damn. It really is a miracle some of us lived through the seventies."
    I was born in the 90's, but I guess this still applies

As far as the PF Tek posted below, it's probably not recommended for edible mushrooms like shiitake or oyster.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    But yeah, Monsanto is worse than the Antichrist....
    At least one can cut down on the pain killers when therre is bute in the food chain!
    Bingo.
    Last edited by HeyItsCharnae; May. 27, 2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Fixed broken quote brackets.

Does no one go mushrooming anymore? (or did anyone ever do it?!) You know, actually go out in the fields / woods and pick mushrooms yourself?

I miss it SO much. My parents and I, and later my sister and I used to go almost every Sunday, in season. But I'm not enough of an expert in mushrooms to feel safe doing it in this country where mushrooms "look" familiar to me (when trail riding, I spot a lot of them!) but are not exactly the same as the ones I am familiar with...
    So, I buy dehydrated wild mushrooms from France and use that in omelets and the like. Not as good as the real thing, but close.

As far as buying fresh mushrooms at the store, I never thought about what's in the horse manure. lol I figure a lot gets "de-activated" in the composting process.
    White button mushrooms are delicious sautéed with shallots and a little lemon, fresh chives and/or parsley...yum.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I try to get out and gather- i mean hunt - morel mushrooms in the spring. Eat some, dry the rest. They reconstitute with a little water. Yum. The thrill of finding them cannot be put into words. My heart skips a beat at each discovery. If hunting is poor at least you get a nice walk in a springtime woods. My nick is not just for the trail riding i do.

After today, I may have my own mushrooms - 2" of rain or maybe even snain by tomorrow night may well make them grow by mid-week. Guess if I do find any, I won't be making my usual stroganoff with them, since I am gonna be stuck big time, but, hey, fried shrooms taste pretty good too.

I don't worry about what goes through the horses, since the farms compost the manure before they use it. They used to pick up from Assiniboia Downs (Manitoba) and refused to take anything but straw and peat moss bedding. Policy there, and several other tracks, was no shavings.

Saw a program on mushrooms (Food Network, Pitchin' in) where a chef went to work on a mushroom farm for a few days. They grew everything from common button mushrooms to specialties that required rather odd mediums, including ones that only grew on rotting pine logs.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Which season do you suggest for growing my own mushrooms?

We have six seasons here. Hotter than hell. Hail. Tornado. Prolonged high winds. Drought. And blizzard. Blizzard forgot to show up last winter, but drought never really left us.

We are still in a drought. And hotter than hell is arriving early. I am already thowing blocks of ice into the water troughs. In fact I bought an upright freezer just to make more ice blocks. Am I a bleeding heart or what?

Shhhhh, do not tell "Barbeque," the horse, the freezer is for ice blocks. I told him it is for him if he does not straighten up & fly right.
    Just out of curiousity, have you done any web research at all re: "growing mushrooms"? There are DOZENS of wonderful sites out there, including companies that provide spores for many varieties, & that give you step-by-step directions for growing many different mushrooms: shitakes, oysters, maitake, portabellos/creminis, blue-foot, etc., etc., - even morels.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Does no one go mushrooming anymore? (or did anyone ever do it?!) You know, actually go out in the fields / woods and pick mushrooms yourself?

Am I the only one that thought this was going to be a thread telling us all what edible mushrooms we could find growing in our own manure piles? I'm a bit disappointed - I have a bunch but don't know what is safe to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by apcohrs View Post
    The manure is steam sterilized before being used to grow mushrooms.

Be careful, next thing you know you will be horrified to learn that vegetables grow in ... dirt. My in-laws still havent gotten over that.
    Neither steam sterilizing nor composting will get rid of chemical residues.

There appears to be plenty of information out there on chemical residues found in the manure used for mushroom growing. It is not so much about medications form the animals but herbicides and such on the grasses the animals eat that may have been treated with herbicides and passed through into the manure, enough so that it can damage plants. Not to mention that it looks like mushroom growers have to use a lot of chemicals to ward off other fungi and diseases. Ick. Another reason not to eat mushrooms.

I know a spot where a lot of false morels grow - so was all excited and then read that there is some doubt as to whether they are really, really safe. They look like real morels, grow under large cottonwood trees. I had in my imagination a meal of these false morels, baby nettle leaves, fiddlehead greens and dandylion leaves, all available in the spring.

I saw one man collecting them from my spot and he didn't look very dead.

Sort of fancied the 'living off the land' touch.

I've not read the whole thread, BUT - I had the opportunity about a year ago to go on a tour of a mushroom farm. It was actually really interesting. The manure goes through a multi stage process of aging and composting before the spores are introduced. The dirt is put in large wooden trays, which are stacked in climate controlled rooms and POOF the little buggers just grow and grow. At that point, when you walk into the room, it smells CLEAN and damp, which was surprising to me. We jumped all over the opportunity go take home some freebies when they were offered.

My theory is that if we think too long about many of the things we eat, well...maybe not.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Home depot was selling boxes of grow your own mushroom kits and the 'soil' was coffee grounds.

If I wanted to do it myself I would use coffee grounds alsoGet a couple of fresh mushrooms from the store let the drop their spores on the grounds in a dark place, keep moist and wait.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I pretty much live in the mushroom capital of the country and mushrooms are one of my favorite foods. It always amuses me how many people from other parts of the country are grossed out by mushrooms.
    Anyway, I don't worry about the meds passing through from the horses. Between the steaming process and the crazy composting process the mushroom soil has to go through I imagine that a good bit if not all is gone by the time they get to your table. And, if it's not- hey they are too darn tasty to give up for a little bit of chemical
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

2 members found this post helpful.

mmmm mmm mmmm mmmushhroooms!

(Tabula, you know how that sounded didn't you?)

I need your address, I have your Leatherman, boo.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I know a spot where a lot of false morels grow - so was all excited and then read that there is some doubt as to whether they are really, really safe. They look like real morels, grow under large cottonwood trees. I had in my imagination a meal of these false morels, baby nettle leaves, fiddlehead greens and dandylion leaves, all available in the spring.

I saw one man collecting them from my spot and he didn't look very dead.

Sort of fancied the 'living off the land' touch.
    If you cut a morel in half from top to bottom, the safe morels have a hollow stem and the false have a solid stem. I dont eat the false. The only other mushrooms i feel confident in identifying on my own are the Chanterelles and Hen of the Woods and Puffballs. If i go to my mushroom hunters club yearly hunt there is always an expert there to identify questionable shrooms. I just stick with what i know.

Foxtrot's - he didnt look very dead ?

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Am I the only one that thought this was going to be a thread telling us all what edible mushrooms we could find growing in our own manure piles? I'm a bit disappointed - I have a bunch but don't know what is safe to eat.
    Avoid the red veins. Red is bad. Blue is magical. Cream color is normal. Purple is cautionary.

What kind of mushrooms grow in your horse poop depend on horse diet, climate, time of year. The best time for huntin is when there is still dew on the ground and the sun is just coming up. Get your shitkickers on and head out. Best time is after a recent rain or very humid. Older piles tend to have more growing from them than fresh ones. Grain fed animals tend to have more mushrooms take root in their poop than hay fed.

You can grow your own mushrooms indoors very easily. Order spores online (you can seriously order ANY kind of mushrooms...magic or food grade online! o_O) and a kit and grow. There is dirt and hydro growing. Neat thing about growing mushrooms is that they deodorize the air around it! Im not sure if the odors would soak into the mushrooms and cause funky flavors or not though...Once you have one round of mushrooms grown, you can collect the spores and grow a second generation. and so on. Its pretty cheap and easy to maintain.

OP, I will say that is a different thing to thikn about that I never would have! I'm not a big mushroom fan but thinking about all the crap that gets into some of this fertilizer makes me wonder! But how do the drugs leave the body? Sweat? Urine? Hair? Poop? Or just neutralize in the body? How much is actually absorbed into the system for good and how much is actually disposed of? I would think these amounts woudl be miniscule but I dont really know....
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    mmmm mmm mmmm mmmushhroooms!

(Tabula, you know how that sounded didn't you?)

I need your address, I have your Leatherman, boo.
    LOL! yep- accent and all
    I'll email you my addy- thanks for grabbing it, I'd totally forgotten about it.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Mushrooms=yummy, I don't care where or how they are grown! If you are worried about chemicals and such you better grow your own food or pay the high prices of organics since chemicals seem to be a way to get more production out of stuff!
    i think it was Dirty Jobs that had an episode about mushroom farming.The composting process is intense and what the 'rooms grow in is far removed from what comes out of the horse!

I would be cautious about eating a certain type of mushroom that pops up on cow or horse manured straw...