The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Edible Mushrooms Grown on Horse Manure

The Racing forum has a Thread about used straw bedding, & hwo it goes to mushroom farms, whic got me to thinking...And has made my mushroom consumption come to a complete halt!

The canned stuff all seems to come from China, so they have not been on my pantry shelves for some time now. So much stuff from China, especially food sorta scares me. Last cans had the rubbery chewy consistancy of escargot. Yes, I do eat escargot. More of a proving I am not too afraid to thing, than actually savoring them. Just tastes like garlic butter & chews like rubber. But my canned button mushrooms should never chew like rubber!

The fresh grown in the USA mushrooms are all too predominately grown upon used horse bedding. Stable bedding from how many boarding barns, and worse yet show barns & race track bedding. All the DRUGS, anitbiotics, & other horrifying unknown cr@p humans put on, & more importantly into horses. Especially show & race horses! I really do NOT want to be eating what was injected &/or fed into those horses!

No idea why, but I never really thought about fresh grown USA mushrooms before the thread in the Racing forum. I took a somewhat naive stance that since I am not eating canned from China, but fresh grown in the USA, life is just fine right? But is it???

What checks & balances are there for all this used bedding/manure that grows food for consumption?

As of now, my mushroom consumption has now come to a complete halt until I get some honest answers.

Darn, as I really love a good portobella! I make portobella's as the main course sometimes. Thick cuts, in white wine, with yummy cheese(s) melted over. Sauteed, simmered, or baked to perfection. Oh how sad, one of my favorite meals has now to come an end. Darn. Darn. Darn

Well, I grow my vegetables in horse manure that has been through the red worm break down process. Sorry I can't help but I prefer the natural organic processes for gardening than the chemical equivilent.

The manure is steam sterilized before being used to grow mushrooms.

Be careful, next thing you know you will be horrified to learn that vegetables grow in ... dirt. My in-laws still havent gotten over that.

9 members found this post helpful.

Just finished making my "poop potato" salad. Potatoes grown in composted manure in feed bags. Delish. Poop happens, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by apcohrs View Post

Be careful, next thing you know you will be horrified to learn that vegetables grow in ... dirt. My in-laws still havent gotten over that.
    ^^^ hilarious.

The mushrooms can be grown on a bulk substrates like manure/straw, but it's sterilized. Mushrooms get contams VERY easily, so there has to be many precautions used to make sure it's safe for consumption.

Big difference between sterility for microbes and drug and chemical residues. What do they test for in the mushrooms, if anything.

On a side note, white button mushrooms are really bland.

but you can buy kits to grow your own good mushrooms, on straw bales, tree stumps, or just the provided substrate bales...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

If you would bother to read any of my posts before being catty, you would know I am a big & long time gardener, that uses compost I make myself.

So you are telling us that by steaming it renders absolutely everything inert? Everything especially what some show & race trainers can & do do to their charges?

I do not "commerically steam" my compost. The bins have a black coverings. I periodically test the temp & the moisture in them.

Which season do you suggest for growing my own mushrooms?

We have six seasons here. Hotter than hell. Hail. Tornado. Prolonged high winds. Drought. And blizzard. Blizzard forgot to show up last winter, but drought never really left us.

We are still in a drought. And hotter than hell is arriving early. I am already thowing blocks of ice into the water troughs. In fact I bought an upright freezer just to make more ice blocks. Am I a bleeding heart or what?

Shhhhh, do not tell "Barbeque," the horse, the freezer is for ice blocks. I told him it is for him if he does not straighten up & fly right.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

No wonder I feel good after I eat mushrooms! My joints stop acting up, I travel really sound and I don't bleed after I work.

I'm betting anyhting that the mushrooms actually suck up is still better than living under high tension power lines or living in a ciy and breathing the pollutants
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyItsCharnae View Post
    Mushrooms get contams VERY easily, so there has to be many precautions used to make sure it's safe for consumption.
    This is another one of those times I read something and think "Damn. It really is a miracle some of us lived through the seventies."

4 members found this post helpful.

I thought the mushrooms that grew in rings around horse manure were the recreational hallucinagenic kind . . .

2 members found this post helpful.

Composting manure kills a LOT of anything that might be in there.

And I don't think they use fresh manure.

But mushrooms are pretty much always grown in manure.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You know, what might be in horse poop pales in comparison to might be in our drinking water supply. As in, what is in human....um, well, think about it. And PSA, dump your expired meds in the trash or take to pharmacy for disposal, don't flush down toilet...

I know that a few years ago, random water sampling I coordinated on canals and rivers in Utah yielded interesting levels of caffeine, acetomenaphine, and aspirin (as for the first, go figure since that's supposed to be a no no for most in this state).

Just sayin'-- hazards everywhere. And even if we avoid them all, we're gonna die anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post

I know that a few years ago, random water sampling I coordinated on canals and rivers in Utah yielded interesting levels of caffeine, acetomenaphine, and aspirin (as for the first, go figure since that's supposed to be a no no for most in this state).

Just sayin'-- hazards everywhere. And even if we avoid them all, we're gonna die anyway.

No wonder they don't need coffee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

For what it's worth, I always figured that washing my produce removed a lot of field hand urine and saliva, in addition to dirt and pesticides. Mushrooms grown in clean poo - it's about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Which season do you suggest for growing my own mushrooms?
    You can grow them inside:

PF Tek information.

It's fairly labor intensive, but I've always been fascinated with the process. You have to hunt around, but you can find all sorts of edible/food mushroom spores available. If you really and truly love mushrooms, and you like to grow things, this could be something for you. Especially since you'd know exactly how they were grown, what substrates were used, etc.

Oh, and there's also ways of plugging logs with shitake spores ... but that's more of an outside thing.

(Just be sure not to order any psilocybes or Panaeolus Cyanescens. )
    The dude abides ...

Can mushrooms be grown hydroponically?

Quote Originally Posted by apcohrs View Post

VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    The Racing forum has a Thread about used straw bedding, & hwo it goes to mushroom farms, whic got me to thinking...And has made my mushroom consumption come to a complete halt!

The canned stuff all seems to come from China, so they have not been on my pantry shelves for some time now. So much stuff from China, especially food sorta scares me. Last cans had the rubbery chewy consistancy of escargot. Yes, I do eat escargot. More of a proving I am not too afraid to thing, than actually savoring them. Just tastes like garlic butter & chews like rubber. But my canned button mushrooms should never chew like rubber!

The fresh grown in the USA mushrooms are all too predominately grown upon used horse bedding. Stable bedding from how many boarding barns, and worse yet show barns & race track bedding. All the DRUGS, anitbiotics, & other horrifying unknown cr@p humans put on, & more importantly into horses. Especially show & race horses! I really do NOT want to be eating what was injected &/or fed into those horses!

No idea why, but I never really thought about fresh grown USA mushrooms before the thread in the Racing forum. I took a somewhat naive stance that since I am not eating canned from China, but fresh grown in the USA, life is just fine right? But is it???

What checks & balances are there for all this used bedding/manure that grows food for consumption?

As of now, my mushroom consumption has now come to a complete halt until I get some honest answers.

Darn, as I really love a good portobella! I make portobella's as the main course sometimes. Thick cuts, in white wine, with yummy cheese(s) melted over. Sauteed, simmered, or baked to perfection. Oh how sad, one of my favorite meals has now to come an end. Darn. Darn. Darn
    All of the straw bedding/manure from our 70 horse carriage stable is picked up by a local mushroom farm. The only thing I ever wondered is how they get the urine out; I was always under the impression that manure contaminated by urine was no good for plants. I guess the steaming thing must do it...

In any event, I will continue to eat mushrooms with relish (no, not that kind of relish) and abandon. I have pretty much given up on worrying about contamination; just staying away from processed foods and moving toward whole foods as much as I can is hard enough. Besides, with Monsanto and GM crops and everything else breathing down our necks and messing up our gullets and worse, a little bute and wormer doesn't seem so bad
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

1 members found this post helpful.