The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

... sigh ... Stella I run a BUSINESS. The horses are very well looked after, their needs are not only met but surpassed, they want for nothing and at the end of the day I have to turn a profit with every single horse that resides on this property. Its how I pay my bills. Its rather simple logic - no?!

We were in the midst of building a new stall. I really really wanted to get another mare in, to put in foal to sell and then once she was gone, buy another and another, etc

My knees are shot. The deterioration from last fall to the last x rays taken in July are night and day. I am bone on bone and a lot of times I cannot walk or stand or do anything

So - not only is the plan to get a new mare totally gone, but I also HAVE to lighten my workload to see if that helps my knees. I HAVE to get down in numbers to see if I can easily and comfortably manage with a lower number to still generate enough revenue to open my doors every day. Some horses HAVE to go. This mare is one of them

Looking at this from a purely business perspective, I have "XXX" into her and I want "XXX" out of her. Not making money, not making a killing, but a fair price for a lovely mare that can go on and have some beautiful babies for another owner. I am "vetting" the people that enquire on her and advised potential buyer #2 this morning that I dont feel her situation would be fair to this mare (again - where she would be ridden). I am NOT taking the first/only offer that comes in on her. Far from it. So - I will continue to incur cost and time into her until the right home is found for her

Sorry if you take exception to that. You seem to be the only one that does ...

Oh. And for what its worth? Interesting the PM's I got on YOU and finding out who you are in "real life"

Have a nice day and "Bless Your Heart" Stella ...

Sorry but I agree with the other posters. I'm sure plenty of people out there add up the exact cost of their expenses in a horse before they sell it, how many of those people are actually being realistic?

Buying a horse a halter and getting her feet done are normal expenses and it's insane to include them as a reason for her price. Heck, if you had her for a year that's an awful lot of feet trimmings you'd have to tack onto her bill.

You want to sell a free horse you got for a huge profit that's between you and the owner (although I'd like to see the owner come on here and say she is ok with it) but your justifications for her price are a bit silly.

You are an active poster and promoter of your breeding operation on several different BBs so you should expect some blow back when you make decisions that people might not agree with, and hopefully you can conduct your business professionally online if you decide to respond to people as such.

Gosh, if adding up what htey cost equals their value my retired 19yo gelding is worth a small fortune right now.

I have never met a real business person insists a horse is worth the added pennies they have spent on it.

Is her price going up daily as a day rate fee is added on to her price?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Really? So finding a free home for her will guarantee her a wonderful home for life whereas asking someone to pay what I have into her wont???
    Clearly not. Look at yourself. The original owner thought they were finding their mare a great home forever and that did not work out at all.

Is it too early for wine?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Is it too early for wine?
    Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Read this. Bears repeating:

Was given free to her in june remember and not sound for riding....
    Thread is gone.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

How odd, the link doesn't work but the thread is actually still there

Try this

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...rg-474057.html
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Rory used to pull back and break halters. I've had to buy several. Somehow I don't think that increased his price by $30 each time
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

OMGiH I've spent most of the day reading that thread in the background while I did data entry. All I can say is: I love you CoTH. I love you CoTH mods! Please don't ever exile me to a bb where there is so much background busy-ness and the MODERATORS come on and get into snarky drama with posters
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Don't worry axl, if you did accidentally find yourself there you can get banned really easily, well I did anyway

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Don't worry axl, if you did accidentally find yourself there you can get banned really easily, well I did anyway
    I don't remember you even being controversial

I wasn't controversial, merely a bad influence on the forum, kept pointing out things like putting a helmet on a kiddie is a good idea, you may want to think about getting the elf feet on your mini trimmed, and calling a vet may be a good idea when you think your horse has colic, and other such pernicious advice.

Oh you rabble-rouser!

Default Wow

I am shocked that this mare caused such an amazing amount of drama and so, btw is her former owner! Evidently several of you have your reasons, right or wrong to write such horrid things which have absolutely nothing to do with this mare but you chose this thread to vent. This was more than unnecessary and since I started this thread I am happy to end it with the facts.

The mare was given away with the understanding that the previous owner could have first right of refusal if the new owner needed her to move on, the former owner was contacted and opted to help find her another home - which she did!

AND NO WHERE was it ever mentioned that she "couldn't afford the mare", where did that come from?! Again, amazing that people who had no information or facts could make up what they thought the reason was.

I find it ridiculous that those of you who have judged this entire situation without being involved could come up with some of what was written, life is too short to be so nasty. Did any of you gain anything positive by behaving this way or is it just fun to vent about someone?

The mare is in a great new home where she will be cherished and "have a home forever". I put that in quotes because frankly, NO ONE CAN GUARANTEE that life won't throw curve balls and change the best of intentions. Put your snarky efforts into something positive and stop being so negative-that is not what this forum was put in place to do. IMO, these types of posts are truly an adult form of bullying, so grow up or at the very least have some wine and develop a better filter process before your next post/thread!

You have some nerve coming here with facts, spoiling everyones fun.

There are all kinds of facts, and I have no issue that the mare was given away in the first place, whatever the reasoning behind that decision belongs to the original owner, and I'm sure that they had great reasons for it.

My only beef is the continual cycle of "Look here is my new mare, I will love her and keep her, she is my heart horse, aren't I great in having got her" type threads

Followed within a very short time with

"She's gone, don't ask why, none of your business, or BUY her now"

Nothing, wrong with being a flipper, just be honest about it.

Default Frankly

I have gotten away from even looking at COTH because of the back stabbing, sand throwing nonsense-if you don't like someone, don 't read those posts. There is no reason to trounce on them for something you were not involved with or even have any business sticking your nose into.

Because I had written the post, I had FIVE urgent OMG PM's about what was happening with this mare from people who seemingly have a grudge against TC, well guess what-I don't and wasn't about to be dragged into that. First, I knew her former owner was involved and secondly, once you sell or give something away, even an animal-it no longer belongs to you so your opinion doesn't count. Really folks- how long HAVE you been in the horse business?! People will tell you what they think you want to hear & it is not limited to just horses, there would be no dog rescues if every owner was truly responsible. We live in a society where no one respects anyone any more and I for one, hate it.

This board was started for sharing knowledge and education, not for drama and pie throwing-it makes me sick to see the gang warfare that takes place, especially when most of it is supposition, not the truth. Sorry I spoiled the fun but I won't tolerate it when my name is attached. Move on and go troll for some other "fun" and hope that someday the crowd doesn't turn on you!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I have never met a real business person insists a horse is worth the added pennies they have spent on it....
    The original owner thought they were finding their mare a great home forever and that did not work out at all.
    Well, people running breeding businesses *do* insist that a horse is worth what they spend on it..... or as close as they can get.... or the one with fabu genes is supposed to support the other "misses" on the place.

And if TCF followed through with contacting the OO (original owner) for first right of refusal, the OO said "Nope, don't want her back," then the lack of a "forever" home is on the OO.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Nothing, wrong with being a flipper, just be honest about it.
    There you go. That's fine. There's nothing about the old "buy 'em cheap, sell 'em dear" rule that says the purchase price needs to be more than zero. Consider the trolling for give aways the dumpster diving of the horse business-- with a lot of risk involved.

If the OO knew TCF was a flipper, it's all good.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

For most, horses are a hobby, for some a business. As a business owner I can tell you , feeling great does not pay the bills. Profit does. It seems to me since nobody here was included in the discussion/placement of this mare aside from TC, Patchwork Farm and the owner that all this drama is really of little value or use. This forum has gotten more and more out of control over the last several years.

TCF, did you actually inquire about where this mare will end up with her new owners?