The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Can you believe it? The British House of Commons passed the anti-hunting bill yesterday. Although the bill will not go into effect until sometime next year (or perhaps even later), it outlaws foxhunting (and any hunting of fox, rabbit, deer and mink with hounds). I'd heard that the hunters were under attack, but in all honesty, I didn't think that there was a realistic chance of the bill passing! I feel so naive. What a disaster. I can't believe they did it. Don't they realize what an impact this will have on the entire horse industry in G.B.?

Can you believe it? The British House of Commons passed the anti-hunting bill yesterday. Although the bill will not go into effect until sometime next year (or perhaps even later), it outlaws foxhunting (and any hunting of fox, rabbit, deer and mink with hounds). I'd heard that the hunters were under attack, but in all honesty, I didn't think that there was a realistic chance of the bill passing! I feel so naive. What a disaster. I can't believe they did it. Don't they realize what an impact this will have on the entire horse industry in G.B.?

You can thank all the animal rights activists for that. They are a very powerful force in the UK. They destroy research laboratories, etc.

msj
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Truly unbelieveable! Now what?

I couldn't find anything on the news wires or the British Parliament site?? Then again, I can never find anything on purpose!

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/18/world/18BRIT.html

January 18, 2001
    Fox Hunting Ban Is Voted by Legislators in Britain
    By WARREN HOGE

LONDON, Jan. 17 � In a decision hailed by backers as a victory for basic decency and assailed by opponents as a triumph of intolerance, Parliament voted overwhelmingly tonight to outlaw the traditional British sport of fox hunting.

The bill, a ban on hunting with hounds in England and Wales, passed by 387 votes to 174. The vote came after a five-hour exchange of accusations and the rejection of two more moderate measures that would have allowed the practice to continue either with self-regulation or under the control of a new independent authority.

Though fox hunting can seem arcane and quaint to people outside Britain, it has long been an emotive matter here, involving notions of personal liberty, the rights of minorities and the sanctity of the countryside, a place of mythical dimensions to many Britons.

Opponents of the ban staged demonstrations and fox hunts in rural areas across the country today to protest the action, and a large group of men and women, many in their signature caps and shooting jackets, maintained a vigil in Parliament Square in freezing temperatures.

They argue that fox hunting is necessary to control a pest that kills livestock and that the ban will end thousands of jobs in already depressed rural areas. They also insist that the prohibition is unenforceable and that turning fox hunters into criminals is persecution of a minority and violates civil liberties.

Field sports organizations also say they fear the ban will lead to similar outlawing of other outdoor activities. "Followers of shooting and fishing should realize this illogical hunting bill is just another nail in the coffin for their country sports," said Sir Edward Greenwell, president of the Country Land and Business Association.

With a national election expected to be called by Prime Minister Tony Blair for May and polling showing the public favoring an end to fox hunting, Conservatives charged that Labor was motivated not by principle but by politics and class hatred.

To Labor jeers, John Townend, a Conservative, said, "If the majority of people that hunted weren't, as many Labor M.P.'s consider, toffs � even though that is not true � and they were minorities such as colored people or homosexuals, this bill would never have been put before this house."

Proponents countered that the ban was an overdue end to cruelty to animals and that it simply extended to them the protections already in law for farm and domestic animals. They compared hunting with hounds to the already outlawed practices of bear baiting and cock fighting.

"It churns my insides to think that people get enjoyment out of seeing an animal torn limb from limb," said Bill Etherington, a Labor member.

Hunting enthusiasts were defiant in defeat. Robin Page, an author and broadcaster, said: "I will break Blair's law. I will pay no fines and I will go to prison. I will be Blair's political prisoner."

Even with tonight's vote, the prohibition still may be some time away from taking effect because the Lords, who are against the measure, can delay it with stalling tactics when it reaches them for review in the spring. Mr. Blair could then invoke the Parliament Act, which is reserved for moments when the two houses are deadlocked. But it is more likely he will allow the final law- making to wait until after the election, reaping the political rewards of tonight's vote without confronting the difficulties of putting the ban into place and incurring the wrath of rural Britain.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

There was a story on the front page of the Washington Post this morning. Alas, I think it is "confirmed."

That completely %$#@#$es me off. I am livid at the animal rights community. There are no bigger lovers of animals than the good horse people I have met. Horse people are quick to care for strays and truly love animals. The sport is not sadistic. What is sadistic to me are factory farms. I'm sure the fox is killed quickly and in a natural way.
    If the animal rights community in America even so much as considers this as an inroad to banning hunts in America, I will gladly protest them.
    I have never ridden in a hunt, although there are several foxhunters where I ride. They are the nicest people I have ever met with regard to being compassionate towards animals.
    The British Parliament was wrong to do what they did. How about banning SOCCER? hell, they kill fans at those matches over there, don't they?
    Is there anything we can do to help our British friends?
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Sure there is...invite them to come over here and hunt. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I agree with the comment about soccer. I just think the animal activists have gone too far!!!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I use to be very active with hunting with my terriers in England.
    This is dreadful as many Terriermen had vowed to put their Working Terriers to sleep if the ban was passed.
    Several have come to the USA and Canada already knowing the impact of banning was on the horizon and many purchased properties over here just in case.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

"Wow" is the only thing I can think of to say. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Here's the Washington Post article:

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/art...2001Jan17.html

What is the potential impact on drag hunting? Will drag hunting be put forward as a potential substitute or does the ban extend - however illogically - to drag hunting as well?

Or hunting in Scotland or Wales?
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I hope this doesn't happen to us. It's interesting that a sport that originated in England, brought over here by colonists, is now outlawed there. Makes you happy to be American.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

After reading the article I'm even more amazed. I mean, what are these protestors thinking? They want to protect an animal, and yet they go out and stalk/kill/maim another one (humans) in the name of protecting them. What would those animals do to us if they were bigger, stronger and smarter??? It's not necessarily dog-eat-dog, but still, do these people not see that we are stewards for the animals of the world and not just co-inhabitants? If they had a problem with it, they should have passed a rule banning the dispatching of the fox, rabbit, deer, but not the hunt itself. Everything in moderation. Maybe it was the violence that pushed them over the edge and into violence.

The world is a small place and well need to find tolerance for each other and to manage our resources correctly and not abuse them. There has to be some middle ground.

Maybe the difference between us and Brits is that we don't make it such an elitist sport and many places have to use "drag" hunts, or they hunt animals like coyotes that annoy most people in the area.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

What happens now? OMG...this is unreal. The Countryside Alliance had so many supporters, THE march last year produced Hundreds of thousands of people.
    What happens to all the horses? The hounds? The people that make a living out of hunting and bringing Tourists hunting?
    This is just unreal.

Tony Blair, you've killed so much more than foxhunting. You A-hole.

Pardon me.
    A pissed off FW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Always,
    FairWeather
    http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

And counting "coup" like the Native Americans instead of running them through. That sounds pretty sporting!
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

The remarks about "toffs" are interesting... especially considering the discussions about wealth and the horse industry going on here lately.

Who here doesn't know more than a handful of people who think riding/showing is just a bunch of rich people wearing funny clothes and using expensive horses for entertainment?

Ooh, this is a scary precedent.

Whats with THIS paragraph?
    <<The gesture should not be politically costly, because opinion polls show that 60 to 70 percent of British voters favor a fox hunting ban, mainly on the grounds that it is cruel. Supporters of fox hunting, mostly well-to-do rural residents, tend to support the opposition Conservative Party and would not be Blair voters.>>

EXCUSE ME? What does THAT mean? Well-to-do? Not all of those FARMERS are Well-to-do!
    grrrr... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Always,
    FairWeather
    http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

You can rest assured that this crap is coming to America very soon.
    Animal rights idiots don't see the forest for the trees- sure, they maybe saved a few fox(those foxes will probably be trapped for fur or poisoned anyhow.) Probably a bunch of dogs will be homeless or put to sleep, a bunch of horses sold, more land left exposed to developers.
    ANYBODY WHO EATS MEAT HAD BEST NOT CALL THIS SPORT CRUEL. Is 70% of England vegetarians? Doubt it.
    Sorry to rant. I know that this whole BB is likely teed off. Is there a more constructive place to complain? I move we bombard the British PETA offices with pictures of our sweet abused horses and downtrodden dogs, and the cats we so hatefully give shelteer to in our barns.
    Let's do it - everyone that loves a horse, dog, cat, or goat, scan a picture and email it to PETA. I'll go seek the proper addresses.
    info@petaeurope.org.uk
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.