The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tell me about your really OLD dog - He crossed the bridge last night

I think I just want to hear some stories of seniors still doing OK. My husband and I have been making plans for our almost 15 year old Dalmatain...as in digging his grave this morning.

BUT, as of today I don't think he's ready to go. Yesterday I thought he might be. We weren't even sure he'd make it through the weekend and now he looks pretty good.

He's just old. He's not in pain at the moment (he on meds). He does not have Cancer or organ failure. He is ataxic. He walks sideways a good portion of the time and has a terrible time on the wood floors. After standing a short period he can't anymore.

BUT, he is still happy to eat, drink etc. He cannot feel his hind end much anymore so he has many accidents.

I know they are supposed to tell you, but I'm getting mixed messages so I guess that means it's not his time yet.

Not looking for advice on what to do, just wanted to hear about your old dogs and if they are still around doing OK.
    Last edited by Serigraph; May. 27, 2012 at 05:27 AM.

I had a Cocker Spaniel who was 21 when it was finally time. He was diabetic, but easy to manage on insulin and was fairly energetic up until the last year or so of his life.

He started showing signs of dementia around 19, but Anipryl worked great.

The worst was the arthritis. We'd finally started him on Adequan, and he seemed to be responding well. Then one evening I took him for his last loading dose and he took a tumble in the car and, I think, hurt his back. A couple of weeks later he couldn't rise one evening. That decided it, even though he was bright and alert and pulling himself into the kitchen with his front legs when he heard the fridge open. The next morning he seemed mostly OK - up and walking - but I was due to start a new job in three days and, well, what if he got down during the day and no one was there to help him up? Due to the diabetes he couldn't have steroids at all, and a spinal injury probably would not have resolved on its own.

But yeah, he trucked along solidly for a long, long time. One thing we did do for him was put a lot of mats and rugs down all over the tile floor, especially in the areas where he liked to nap. That way he had a source of traction. Sure, the house was a decorator's nightmare with a patchwork of carpets, but no one cared.

I have a 17 year old basset hound napping on the couch right now. Her eyes are cloudy and I don't think she hears much. We're dealing with an ouchie tooth, but she eats and drinks well. We're just not willing to put her under anesthesia at her age to pull the tooth. So pain meds and antibiotics are part of her breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I Then one evening I took him for his last loading dose and he took a tumble in the car and, I think, hurt his back. A couple of weeks later he couldn't rise one evening. That decided it, even though he was bright and alert and pulling himself into the kitchen with his front legs when he heard the fridge open.

But yeah, he trucked along solidly for a long, long time. One thing we did do for him was put a lot of mats and rugs down all over the tile floor, especially in the areas where he liked to nap. That way he had a source of traction. Sure, the house was a decorator's nightmare with a patchwork of carpets, but no one cared.
    That is kinda our concern that he will fall and break something b/c he's so fragile and we have 3 other rowdy ones.

We put down more rugs on the floor this morning and yes, decorator's nightmare A long time ago we took our bed of the frame to lower it so he could still jump up.

Nice to see the old guys/gals had/have a long life.

My aunt has a large Golden(100+lbs) who is 18 this year. He has had his ups and downs and at one point lost most of the hair on his body for some unknown reason. There were many times over the years when it was believed it was time and then he would bounce back seemingly overnight. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 3 years ago.

She put him on a cocktail of homeopathic remedies, herbal mixtures, and a shot of brandy in the morning and evening since then. He is acting as much like a puppy as he can and his hair is back. The vet is astounded he is doing as well as he is and see no need for him to be put down as long as he is bright eyed an bushytailed.

His grave was dug the winter before last and it still remains empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    My aunt has a large Golden(100+lbs) who is 18 this year. He has had his ups and downs and at one point lost most of the hair on his body for some unknown reason. There were many times over the years when it was believed it was time and then he would bounce back seemingly overnight. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 3 years ago.

She put him on a cocktail of homeopathic remedies, herbal mixtures, and a shot of brandy in the morning and evening since then. He is acting as much like a puppy as he can and his hair is back. The vet is astounded he is doing as well as he is and see no need for him to be put down as long as he is bright eyed an bushytailed.

His grave was dug the winter before last and it still remains empty.
    Great story! I teared up.

I have a 12 year GSD that scares me regularly with "is it time". We just finished a 30 day Doxy for Lyme. She's had it 3 or maybe even 4 times, I've lost track. She is neurological (common) in her rear so on bad days she trips/falls quite a bit. Really bad episodes require help to get a round. She also has mammary cancer. Cataracts.

But Every. Single. Time. I throw a leg over a horse or DH starts that ATV or ask "wanna go" you'd never know that I almost made the "appointment" a year ago when she couldn't walk without falling, for a couple days.

ETA She has been taking Previcox for 2 years now for pain.

We also have an 18 year old golden, Jillian. She is on no medications or supplements and is in great health. She regularly eats deer poop and I suspect that this is the secret to longevity. She plays every day with our 2 year old aussie and is still totally obsessed with her tennis ball. We also have a 5 year old golden who looks like a total slacker compared to Jillie. Jillie can be somewhat snarky with little dogs but I figure that she has earned this right.

Wow! The ages are wonderful! 21! Mine is 12ish, and it is great to hear of dogs living so well, so long.

I have an 18 year old lab mix. She can't see, hear, or get up so well anymore but she can sure eat! She stills jumps an inch or two for a cookie (her idea, not mine) . This past winter I had a large tumor removed from her hind leg. She wears a diaper at night because she can't hold it anymore and I have the patchwork rugs all over the house too. She gets a little "foggy" sometimes but she still seems quite happy. I'm waiting for her to tell me its time, but she's not talking. I think she's planning on outliving me!
    Stallions are from Mars.
    Mares are from Venus.
    Ponies are from Hell!

Mine is just a baby compared, she is nearly 13. But she is also part golden and seems to be getting younger by the minute. She's experimented with cliff jumping and body-kayaking this spring and she just comes out of it and keeps on going, just a little gimpy in the hind end but once she's moving she's a puppy.

I'd be interested in the recipe of that homeopathic... I know mine needs some joint meds but otherwise she's just happy to be here. I used to have her on the 12 year plan but now I'm looking out to the 15 year plan... it's fun to see her acting silly and sound at her ripe old age!

I'd also like the homeopathic recipe. And what exactly does the brandy do?

My Dal was 14 when we had to put her down. She had been through everything and several issues happened at once and she couldnt handle it. She fought everyday until her last. The best gift I ever got, was her letting me know it was time. I promised her that if she was fighting, I would pay whatever it costs to keep her alive. The day I put her down was the worst day of my life.

She had problems on slick floors too. We got cheap Walmart rugs and put them everywhere. Its been 2.5 years and I still havent brought myself to get another dog. She broke my heart.

Sorry to sound so sad. I just wanted to say that I had an old Dalmatian too and I know what you are going through. Give him lots of love and kisses.

Kinda wish I had not started this thread now as I was beginning to have hope that he stay with us a bit longer. He fooled us and crossed the bridge last night.

Thanks for the nice stories.

I lost my 16 1/2 year old sheltie just before christmas. Over the last 3 years of his life, he had 2 vestibular disease incidents, was deaf and was starting to loose his sight. He was quite nuerological and his balance wasn't the best, but the vets told me it wasn't painful. I had to carry him up and down the steps, but it's funny because he knew he needed help and instead of bounding up and down, he'd sit and wait at the top or bottom and look at me like 'Let's go for a walk!!!!'.

He started to get dimensia perhaps the last 6 months of his life, and forgot about potty training. But he still ate up his dinner and liked to snuggle on the couch, and he wasn't in pain. So I took care of him best I could.

This is the dog that picked me out when he was in the pound - we were looking for a short hair something, not too big, not too small. Well at least the size was right LOL ! Went by the kennel he was in and he jumped up and down like "PICK ME !! PICK ME!!!". Put him on a leash to see how he walked, and the little stinker marched right over to my car, then looked up at me and was like 'We're going, right?'. Needless to say he came home with us that day.

He was a wonderful, wonderful boy, very smart and kind. When he started to get stuck in odd places in the house and was panicking about it, I took him to the vet and let him go. Very sad day and I miss him still but it was the right thing to do for him.

Hugs to you for taking care of your old dog and knowing when it's time to let go. It's never easy even when you know it's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Kinda wish I had not started this thread now as I was beginning to have hope that he stay with us a bit longer. He fooled us and crossed the bridge last night.

Thanks for the nice stories.
    Sorry to hear - hugs to you for doing the right thing.

I'm sorry for your loss, Serigraph. I have an old fellow myself, but other than the weakness in the back end-which seems to be well controlled now with Rimadyl, he' still going well. I'll give him a hug for your boy.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

OP, I'm sorry for your loss. ):

I have four old guys. They range from 11- 19. They vet gave My 11 year old rescue Australian Cattledog a month, tops, before he would pass. Well you gotta love ACD's because it's been a good year and he is still going strong! Of course this is a dog that has been held together with bubble gum and duct tape( kidding of course) but he has been one major problem after another.
    Two of my others are a one eyed Chihuahua and the best little chihuahua x that ever lived. Both of these guys are 13 and going strong. Both rescues
    My fourth one is a 19 year old shiba whom was one of my puppies. A couple of years ago we thought we would have to put her down before winter but she rallied and showed us. We again thought it was getting close to her time a couple of weeks ago but we ended up putting her on antibiotics and she is back to her perky,mostly blind, deaf self. However she was actually playing with her boyfriend, my 13 yr old chi x, who adores her. Love the old guys and wouldn't hesitate to adopt another senior

Oh I am so sorry for your loss!! Sounds like he picked his moment. I do love all these stories and it is wonderful to hear of animals getting to be surrounded by so much love. So many aren't. Prayers for a great crossing for your boy

I am sorry for your loss. I have a 14 year old lab/catahoula cross who is still roaring right along. A couple of years ago I got him a chihuahua puppy, and I think that's extended his lifespan quite a bit. He gets around very well; still goes for a daily walk and plays with his big red ball. He weighs quite a bit (150) but is not fat - he's really a giant of a dog. He has some fatty tumors, but other than that, seems quite healthy. He had a bout with some liver disease a few years ago, but milk thistle really helped him and he came back from it very well.