The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If it's not broke...

My 24 year old TB is moving better than ever and hasn't had his hocks done in over a year. I have tried several things with him over the years but what seems to have made the biggest difference is Pentosan. I have him on Smart Senior and Tri-Amino in his smartpak. His coat and weight are awesome but that is pretty much a given with him so no concerns there. I am toying with the idea of stopping the smartpak altogether and using that money to give him a dose of Pentosan every two weeks year around. I am hesitant to change anything when he is doing so well though. Any thoughts?

noharm in trying. If it doesn't work, switch back.

I thought about that but I definitely don't want to set him back any especially during show season. Yes at 24 he is still eventing and winning! He has gone out twice so far this season and won them both.

I always add, then wait for improvement. If notable, then consider removing old program. If none, stay on old program and drop new. That way there is limited risk of back slide by doing a complete change.

My horses havent had a joint supplement in a couple years. They are doing just as fine with injectable alone as they were on a combined program. But now I have extra money for injectables, so they are actually doing better than ever! My 15 year old required 2-3 full hock injections yearly, yet is working harder and hasnt been injected in a year. Injectable glucosamine and magnesium and b vitamins (weird, I know) have made a world of difference!

1 members found this post helpful.

How are you giving the b vitamins and magnesium?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    How are you giving the b vitamins and magnesium?

Thanks
    Orally. I didnt stop feeding all supplements, just stopped joint supplements. I spend $15 a month for his magnesium and b-complex paste. For this horse, it does wonders for his muscles (confirmed epsm horse).

Was thinking about this thread the other day so bumping it up. Laurie, what did you decide to do? I am in the exact same position. My old guy is doing great with pentosan and am thinking about taking him off the SmartPak Sr.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

If you can afford to keep him on his current program, I'd leave it be, at least until the end of the show season.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

He has been off his Smartpak for almost a year with no problems. I do have to jump start him with pop rocks every once in a while to keep his nose in the feed tub but soundness wise he is fine.

I think that the majority of oral supplements, whether made for horses, people or purple dragons, are total bunk. The ONLY oral nutraceutical that's been scientifically proven to do a darn thing for joints is MSM. Sure, there are a number of companies who wave around snippets from this study or that study on glucosamine, but they misrepresent the study results in all cases.
    I think pro and prebiotics are fantastic and vitamins and minerals, when necessary, are helpful. But I prefer injectable in most cases anyway, as the oral formulations aren't regulated to my satisfaction and what happens from the production line to the horse's bloodstream with most vitamin and mineral supps is a mystery. I like to know what's getting in there and I feel like injectables offer better control.
    The amount of money made by companies that churn out nutraceuticals and various supplements is shameful. They pray on the desire of animal owners to do what's best for those in their care and often even "guilt" consumers into buying their products.
    **steps off soapbox** 'Sorry about that. I have some strong feelings surrounding supplementation.
    Laurie, did you forego the orals in favor of more frequent injections? How is The Ol' Fella doing?
    Just saw your post above. YAY!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Injectable glucosamine and magnesium and b vitamins (weird, I know) have made a world of difference!
    Not weird at all for an EPSM horse! Vitamin E also really helps! I give 5,000 IU via human gel capsules. Surprisingly cost effective.

Thanks Laurie! Maybe after his next round of pento I will take him off.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/