The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Achieving a square halt

My green bean and I have made a lot of progress the last few months and will be hitting the shows in the very near future

One thing I wish I could get more consistently were nice square halts. I'm able to keep my horse moving nicely through the downward transition, she stays round, etc. Periodically we get these picture-perfect halts where all her legs are perfectly lined up, where from the side it looks like she only has two legs.

However, this doesn't happen all the time. Usually her front legs are lined up and square, but her hind legs are slightly offset. I'm not sure what makes the difference between this and the other.

What are some techniques people are using to get those really nice halts? I do have a trainer that I'm working with and will be asking him about it next lesson. In the meantime though I'm curious what others are doing.

Many things effect it but without working on it directly the turn on the forhand while staying on the aids will help each hind respond to the leg and then in turn both hinds asked should step under when the leg is applied...

Just a thought someone gave me in a lesson and it stuck.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

time, because a young horse doesn't necessarily have the balance and or strength to carry weight evenly behind and step thru into a nice square halt.

so i would not worry about it and just work on the basics of forward, rhythm regularity and bended lines paying particular attention to making sure you give on the heavier rein.

@mbm: Thanks for the reality check. My gut kind of said I shouldn't worry about it (since my trainer hasn't harped on it), but I guess I needed someone else to tell me that.

If I said which tests I would be riding this month and next, I'd probably get tossed off the board for even worrying about this. lol.

Once your horse is able to engage and come through the square halts will appear.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooty View Post
    Once your horse is able to engage and come through the square halts will appear.
    Yep. A lot of people want to adjust the hooves at the halt, but if you get the horse straight and balanced you'll generally get a square halt without doing that... which is the correct halt you're supposed to be getting anyway.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

If your first turn in your test is to the left, enter the arena with a left turn.

Sit on your left seat bone into the halt and exhale, close your thighs and tweak the outside rein only. Your halts will come quickly and square.

Most folks try to sit evenly and fail since we are all unilateral.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein