The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Super duper basic breeding questions....

so i finally picked a boy for my mare, and she will be bred in approx 15 days ...... since i have never done this before other than live cover, i need some basic info to help me understnad all of this

I am pretty sure i will be sending her to a breeding farm where she will be teased/bred and then, if all goes well she will stay til she foals next year.

However, they shut their breeding doors at the end of June so if she doesn't take i will need to do something different... so that makes me wonder lots of things... (which of course i will ask them when i go visit but i am curious now lol!)

a) what is the standard manner of covering a mare using fresh cooled?
    1) do you use it all in one attempt in the hopes she takes or
    2) do you break it up into several insemination's over hours/days?

b) can you tell if a mare took right away or do you need to wait til ultrasound at 14 days?

c) what is the best way to ensure impregnation during one heat cycle?

d) what is teh chances of her taking the first time since she is a maiden at 13? (she is healthy etc)

so many questions!

Is the stallion at the breeding farm your sending he to? If so, that makes life A LOT easier. I tease the mares that I want to breed daily, as soon as I get a response, I typically ultrasound them. Your vet will tell you when to order semen based on the ultrasound. I usually use Deslorelin the morning that semen is to arrive (some people do it the day before). Inseminate the mare. Since she's an older maiden, I would talk to your vet about fluid clearance issues. I always use oxytocin. Ask your vet about that, and potentially a lavage as well.

Fluid is your enemy, so I try not to inseminate more than once. I just put one dose in. I have on occasions used the second dose, it just depends, but I try to stick to the smallest amount of fluid possible.

If you don't see anything at 14 days, check again at 16 days. I've had several missed at 14 days.

Welcome to the madhouse
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

thanks!

the stallion is mid west i think. we are west coast. mare is going to a TB breeding farm - they have many stallions and obviously do live covers but also fresh cooled. so they will tease her etc. they have vets on site so they will do what is needed to get her bred. which is why i picked them. much better then me trying to learn what to do and arrange with my vet!

so you only inseminate once?

huh.

also, are there extenders or anything in fresh? i chose fresh over frozen because my mare is ultra sensitive and i worried about reaction to frozen....

They should take care of you then with scheduling the semen shipment. Fluid is a HUGE issue. As long as the semen quality is good, and the timing is good, there isn't a reason IMO to stick more fluid in there. I know a lot of people with use the second dose the next day, as a general rule, I personally don't. That's something to talk with your vet about

Yes, you will have extenders with the fresh. I've found there to less severe reactions than with frozen, however.

It's definitely easier having your mare somewhere that they take care of it all! I was delayed this year in getting my girls bred because it is very time consuming, just bred the first last week, and the second today... and still one more to go. Keep in touch with your stallion owner and make sure they are aware of all the steps, to avoid any timing conflict.

Here's a GREAT article on breeding an older maiden
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a...idenMare.shtml
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    Here's a GREAT article on breeding an older maiden
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a...idenMare.shtml
    Thanks! i was very very confused and was going to ask for help, but then there was the nice summary at the end which was much easier for me to grok.

I am sure the breeding facility knows all of this but it is good for me to know what the challenges are and at least i have some small amount of knowledge and wont appear a total dolt!

I understand now (and my vet did tell me this but i forgot) that you breed a day or two before ovulation.... because sperm stays alive for a period of time this gives the best chance for success.

ok, i am going to start the sacrificial offerings to the goddess of fertility tonight!