The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

alibi, I think you and gls are right. Which is why I called the OP a troll to begin with (although she seems to have missed that bit ). Too much "look at what a victim I am", coupled with "I don't have proof of anything", and topped off by "I don't need your advice" when she's disagreed with,.........yep, troll. Maybe not an intentional one, but one nonetheless.

OP, I don't feel sorry for you at all.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

A possible way to approach this would be through your
    employment. If you do have some way to document that
    you worked for the stable owner, she owes you for the
    work. Most State Department of Labor sections take a
    very dim view of workers who have not been paid and
    will take the employee's side. Employer would not only
    owe wages but also their share of FICA and other payroll
    deductions. An aside, you would owe income taxes on
    the wages, whether paid in dollars or in product such as
    the colt.

If you made it clear to the stable owner that you are going
    to the State on this if she doesn't come up with the colt or
    some other appropriate compensation and that the stable
    owner will not only owe the payment but also various
    fees and fines, she might find that she does have to give
    you payment after all.

You will need to have some way to clearly show that you
    were "employed" by the stable owner. You might see if
    there is some kind of legal advice service in your area
    where you can talk to a lawyer for half an hour for a
    modest sum (many communities have such services
    offered) and get a bit of advice on what you could use
    to document your employment and how you might
    approach the stable owner or go to the Dept of Labor if
    the stable owner won't come through. It might not get
    that colt back, but you may get some satisfaction.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

My troll radar is going off too. And snowflake, boy you really jump to conclusions don't you?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by lconroe View Post
    You sound like your related to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goes like stink!! I don't need your advice thanks
    hardly mate but been in the horse world a lot longer than you and dont go round with eyes shut and certainly dont get mugged of as in used

We had basically the same thing happen, and we learned the hard way that a man's word is not always his bond. Not a thing you can do about it now. If the horse was in your possession, then it would be a different story since you have papers in your name, but possession is 9/10's of the law.

I am so sorry for you. I know the pain that an unscrupulous person can cause. The heck of it is in our case is that 1. we aren't newbies, 2. this was supposedly a family friend, 3. apparently it was planned all along. I was always taught to never ask for a reciept for a gift, and applied this to the gift of this horse to my daughter, so didn't request a bill of sale. Never again.

I would, in your case, sue for the registration fees, etc, not because of any money you may recover, but for the principle of the matter.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

All I did was work. Int he morning went at 6;30 am till 10 or 11. Fixed fence for 6 hours, Brought all the hay to the barn from the garage were it was stored on my vehicle. 8 bales every other day. Whenever farrier came I helped, holding and fetching horses, Then in the evening at 6 or so went back and watered and fed hay again and cleaned stall of mares who were close to foaling, took another yearling out for walks. I would be there at least an hour. As far as training on mine, he hadn't ever been out of the barn when I got him. He would rear and carry on bad. He wouldn't let you do anything with him. I had him mannered with leading and I could sit on the ground by him without any worry. My Grandson (5) would go by him and Blaze would put his head down for him to hug him. So as far as everyone saying its not a good choice for him with his age I don't agree. You didn't know my horse and I feel he was different than others.I offered to take him out of there and she said NO... I felt I was being taken advantage of as she would want more and more done all the time. And nobody hit a nail , all I asked was what proves Horse Ownership and nobody has answered me yet..

So.... Horse is a yearling. You've had him 7 months? When you got him he would have been anywhere from 3 months to about 6 months then?? He was rearing and carrying on?? He was a baby... Not sure what you are expecting really.

Depending on what your actual agreement was, hours and days to work, for what in return... Whether there was written agreement to those terms... We can't really comment on whether you own this horse or not.

And nobody hit a nail , all I asked was what proves Horse Ownership and nobody has answered me yet..
    hmmm, I think you got your answer, several times over: Seems like you are out of luck since you don't have a bill of sale.

That was said several times.
    It is not the answer you were looking for?
    Tough luck. You could always ask somebody in the legal field their professional opinion. The initial consult might actually be free.
    You know the old saying: Possession is 9/10th of the law....

maybe the lady thought you were being ungrateful. You certainly do have some tude going here.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Geez, remember that thread about the horse who had his own stalker, and she offered the owner $5000 for him AFTER being told "do not feed him!"?

Sounds like this is the "other side's version" of a similar tale.

Complete with magickal pooping butterfly farting yearlings.

You didn't know my horse and I feel he was different than others.
    Black Stallion Syndrome.

They always are different, honey.

You've gotten your answer quite a few times. A written contract or a bill of sale proves ownership. Plain and simple. I'd suggest chalking it up to a learning experience, if you are capable of taking anything away from this and make it helpful for the future. That involves some accountability on your part of this mess that led to where you are. I sense that's not going to happen.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I sense a trainwreck in progress...Troll/trainwreck radar on full alert.

Boy some of you people are rough! I'm not sure why some of you assume OP is a troll. Not the smartest moves on OP's part but it is sure not a stretch to say that there are horse people who will take terrible advantage of a young, horse crazy person.

Some of these people come around to convincing themselves that they are doing said young person a favor by allowing them the privilege of doing all their chores. Lived it, have the t-shirt....

Sketcher, this is why (and BTW, she says she's a grandmother, not a young horse crazy person):
    Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    alibi, I think you and gls are right. Which is why I called the OP a troll to begin with (although she seems to have missed that bit ). Too much "look at what a victim I am", coupled with "I don't have proof of anything", and topped off by "I don't need your advice" when she's disagreed with,.........yep, troll. Maybe not an intentional one, but one nonetheless.

OP, I don't feel sorry for you at all.
    Plus continually stating that her question hasn't been answered. It has. You. Need. A. Bill. Of. Sale.

Too many things don't add up. A 7 month old colt for a 5-6 year old's 4-H project? From what I understand the Horse Training Project is intended for an ADVANCED (impossible for a 6 year old) rider to train a horse.

Six year old training a colt? Bull hockey.

all I asked was what proves Horse Ownership and nobody has answered me yet..
    You *have* gotten an answer on proof of ownership--a signed contract or bill of sale.

You just don't like that answer.

Sorry you got taken advantage of WRT your labor, but I do think you are *way* off the mark in the fantasy that a yound colt is a suitable 4H project because he's "not like other horses".
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Thank you all for your encouraging words!!! It doesn't stop the crying and the hurt I Have had for 2 weeks now. I miss Blaze so bad. How a 72 year old woman could do this is just unbelieveable to me..... HEARTLESS AND COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We still did not get the details on whether you fulfilled your agreement with the horse owner either...something is not adding up here..

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Thank you all for your encouraging words!!! It doesn't stop the crying and the hurt I Have had for 2 weeks now. I miss Blaze so bad. How a 72 year old woman could do this is just unbelieveable to me..... HEARTLESS AND COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's official - we have entered the troll Twilight Zone. If you listen hard enough, you can hear the music,....................
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

There was no agreement REMEMBER???? No signed contract. forget about it I will never see him again.. I live only one quarter mile from her so I WILL GET EVEN!!!! And when she goes to court in June with us she will wish she never did this to ME! END OF DISCUSSION!
    Revenge...that always goes over well...especially when you have posted you are going to do so on the internet.

Agreement, I meant was; even verbally.... how may hours/days you were to work...and the monetary value it would give for the horse...and how long you had to work it off etc.

I guess you don't know those details either...did you imagine that you had this agreement?

There was no agreement REMEMBER???? No signed contract. forget about it I will never see him again.. I live only one quarter mile from her so I WILL GET EVEN!!!! And when she goes to court in June with us she will wish she never did this to ME! END OF DISCUSSION!
    You know, things you say on the internet can be used against you in a court of law. Quoted for posterity.

Getting even, that's a good example for your grandson, BTW.

I DON"T CARE ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

I DON"T CARE ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Sounds like Phil Collins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.