The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up "Bite Free" fly traps--two BIG thumbs up!

Bite Free Stable fly traps

These things are working GREAT to keep the stable flies down now that the hot weather has arrived. No stink, and they are big and robust enough to not fill up in a day (although they certainly trap a lot of flies). I'm really happy with these and wanted to share.

Being the nerd that I am, I was tickled to find some actual attempts at research on this type of product in a book.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks for the info. How long did the trap last before it did fill up??

Yes they work but they also 'catch' birds, bats and the 'good' flying bugs (dragonflies). I had one up and had to rescue 1 sparrow and 1 bat from it. I made a 'cage' of chicken wire mesh to put around it. Less flies but no more bats or birds.
    R.I.P. my sweet boy Tristan
    36 years old, but I was hoping you'd live forever
    5/5/75-7/5/11

Any issues with birds being caught--I've heard that from people who have tried the things.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I could see where a small bird or bat could easily be caught--the traps are VERY sticky and quite big. I keep them right up close to the barn (outside the fence) and down low, about 3' off the ground, where I've not seen any birds, ever. The bats wouldn't go down that low and close to the barn. Optimally they are not "up high" but down low near where the stable flies rest. I do keep them away from where the dogs and chickens roam to avoid catching them.

Tonight I changed them--they were chock full and that was about 3 weeks' worth IIRC. I saw a few bees, a cicada, and a few mosquitoes but 95% were stable flies. I'll accept a little collateral damage.

Oh geez, Deltawave, you're one of my favorite folks on CotH. But I used those exact traps last year and didn't catch a dern thing as far as flies. I wrapped them in chicken wire because of the bird concern, and that's a big concern with me. Caught 4 flies. Had them up all summer. Maybe I didn't have them in the right place. Threw them out last winter.

But, they're working for you. In your area, and your placement of the traps, and your success, makes me think I did something wrong.

I do the fly predators, and the Horse Pal horsefly traps, have done this for years. I'm pleased with these, but none are 100%.

What worth is there in a biting fly? In the big theme I guess they have their place. Ain't winter grand though?

I use these traps with good success too. I think the trick is to hang them low (2 ft off ground) to avoid the risk of catching birds or bats. I also hang them in sunlight rather than shade.

My older mare drops a lot of grain and so she tends to have a lot flies near her buckets. I actually hung one of these under her bucket and it picked up tons of flies.

But, I've also found fly paper to be nearly as effective (and cheaper), if you hang enough strips close together.

I think it does matter where you place them. I put them as close as I can to where the horses hang out without actually putting them IN the paddock. Flies like to hang out in tall grass and in the sun, so mine are about 2-3 feet off the ground on garden stakes, in sunny spots with tall grass.

Actually one of them is in my asparagus patch, and, well, the things trap asparagus pretty well, too. I have to rescue my 'sparagus tomorrow after a windy day!

I've been thinking about trying these traps for the stable flies. We had almost no flies due to fly predators and sticky tape...and then those biting stable flies came out! Fly spray only works for a little while, and I don't think the predators can keep up with them. Now the horses are stomping all the time, and the flies are also biting me! I need to try something!

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
    Yes they work but they also 'catch' birds, bats and the 'good' flying bugs (dragonflies). I had one up and had to rescue 1 sparrow and 1 bat from it. I made a 'cage' of chicken wire mesh to put around it. Less flies but no more bats or birds.
    Exactly what happened to us. After we cut down the titmouse and took it to birdy rescue (and yes, it survived), we put wire mesh around the outside to prevent birds from flying onto it to get the bugs.

I use the cheap, smaller sticky strips, that only really catch small insects. They're supposed to last 4 days but there have been so many flies this summer that I'm using up 2 a day
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.