The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why No Trades?

I was just wondering why there is not more trading of horses (rater than sales) between Hunter and Dressage riders? Seems like there are many horses that are purchased for either discipline, that should go to the other, because that is where their talent lies, or that is where they are the happiest. Why couldn't we network such trades? Everyone is not looking to make a ton of money. Some just want the right horse. I do understand that if one has put money into a horse for a certain discipline, and he does not make it there, that owner many need to get the money back out. But for those of us not in business, why wouldn't it work?
    Thoughts?

I think that riders rarely feel their trade would be even.

I have a friend who traded her Andy cross for a Friesian cross. The Andy is now a cow horse and the Friesian is 3rd level-ish. Both owners and horses are happy!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I think it is hard to find the right people AND the right horses IN the right area for a trade to occur. It does happen. I've actually traded three horses over the past ten years, one to a dealer, one to a fellow breeder and one to a hunter. But I've also turned down offers for at least 8 or 10 trades. It is just hard for the stars to align perfectly. Money is a more "universal" value