The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding After Rain...

Here in NorthEastern NC, we have had LOTS of rain the past few days. It will be sunny and gorgeous for a few hours, rain for 30 minutes, sunny again, rain again, and so on. I have been putting off riding due to wet, possibly slippery conditions in the fields and round pen. Do any of you ride on damp ground? Or do you wait til everything is more or less dry? I WISH I have an indoor arena, or at least a covered round pen, but alas, no winning lottery ticket yet. Anyone care to share their ideas and experiences? I am tired of waiting to ride! Week, after week, after week.....

I tend to find the best footing I can...and do whatever the footing dictates...I ride in the rain, after the rain...if I DIDN'T there are times of year I'd never ride at all! If its a bit deep or I may just walk, but a lot of work can get done at the walk! Or find a higher part in a field that is draining better.

Thanks, Noctis! That's how I feel....there's almost NEVER a chance to ride anymore. Don't know how my horses would react to being ridden in the rain, but it's time they learned! LOL! I will go on and ride, and just stick to the walk, or maybe trot depending on the footing. I usually lunge my gelding prior to riding, and he thinks lunging means GO FAST! I hope he doesn't slip! I HAVE ridden him without lunging first, but he is still a green bean.

I'll ride in the ring pretty much any time, no matter how wet it is. We have rock dust footing and other than puddling, it holds up well. It does get pretty rock hard after though...
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I would NOT longe in wet, deep footing. That's asking for an injury.

Ideally, find higher ground, or work at the walk and work on some good basics. I used to live in Oregon, so if I didn't ride in the rain or after rain, I wouldn't have gotten much riding in at all! I just hit the mountains and worked on the trail because it was nice and dry up there.

We have ONLY flat land here. Think Kansas, but greener. LOL! I guess just going slow is my only answer. It's not deep footing, but it's definitely wet!

I have the same issue as you farmgirl. Not only has my round pen been staying wet but the flies are terrible already. I generally don't put mine in the round pen when it is wet because they also think that means go fast and I worry too much about them slipping. All three of mine are young so they really need to be worked before ridden.

I skipped Scotland Neck trail ride last weekend because of fear of rain. Between heat, bugs and rain, it looks like riding is pretty much over for the summer.

I think that it is important to ride in every kind of weather(Not lightning/Thunder though) because so you and your horse will be use to it. Come show time and the weather is not ideal, you will be ready.

If riding on grass, wear studs. I also wear studs no matter what type of footing, especially if jumping! If the ring is sloppy, be smart. No tight turns, rollbacks etc.. Do not wear polo wraps though when it's really wet/sloppy because they tend to slip.

I will ride in a wet ring to a point. If it is so wet that it is slippery and super deep, then I do road work with them if I really need to get them rode. There is a big, long hill not too far from here and after a good rain the shoulder on the gravel road is super soft and perfect for galloping up and trotting down for some serious conditioning work

quarterhorse4me: we are almost neighbors. I know that area, and went to college in Rocky Mount. Rode for college credit in Halifax area. BO named Whitley.

i agree with other posters. if the ring is too wet to be safe, then hack on the roads or just hack at the walk on the edge of the fields if roads are not an option.
    it's good for their bodies and their minds and it's good for your mind, too
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique