The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sweet Barbara Livingston piece- Lord Avie "Hello Old Friend"

Then you should buy her Old Friend's book. Nothing but the old guys. That woman has an incredible gift, I am so thankful she shares that gift with all of us.
    Her article about Chris Antley made me bawl my eyes out.

I have both of her Old Friends books - really wonderful, I love the old guys too ...

I had no idea he was still around

absolutely wonderful article.

I had one of Lord Avie's sons for a short time (had to euthanize him due to an injury) - he was a great horse.....

Loved the piece about the trainer still visiting!

We lost our Lord Avie daughter a couple years ago, but her then-orphan filly & an older daughter are still here & still favorites.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I responded to her FB posting - what a wonderful article. I was right up close to him in the post parade for the Hopeful, along with Well Decorated, and West on Broad?. The three of them were altogether as they turned to gallop towards the gate, and I got all three of them in one shot.

It was at that moment that I really saw what an amazing racehorse looked like. They were in such beautiful condition. I loved the idea of their careers just beginning.

My sister lives in VA, and I may see her soon. If I have the time, and it's close enough, wonder if I could see him again, if only from a distance. Have to find those old snapshots! How thrilling to hear his name again - a blast from the past, and still present!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Thanks so much for sharing this! I have an oldie too, just love him to bits. (not as old as Lord Avie- yet-)

That brought back some memories! I remember Danny P well when I was galloping in NJ, I started in 82, so Lord Avie was still a youngster...both horse and trainer were class acts. So good to see them both all these years later doing so well.