The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Horsemen's terminology--old fashioned?!

Am I the only one this is happening to? Even in reputable barns run by experienced people, if they're under 40 and I use traditional horsemen's terminology to describe things like:

Near and Off for right and left
    Ewe-necked
    Roach-backed
    Tied-in
    Under-run heels
    Coon-footed
    Hunter's bump
    and more . . .

Nobody knows WTH I'm talking about? I have to explain to them the definitions of terms we all used to learn in 4-H or from Harry Disston's books as kids, certainly that we knew by the time we were running a place; anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited by SwampYankee; May. 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: clarity

I don't know coon-footed, but the rest I'm familiar with. Could you explain that one?
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    Am I the only one this is happening to? Even in reputable barns run by experienced people, if they're under 40 and I use traditional horsemen's terminology to describe things like:

Near and Off for right and left
    Ewe-necked
    Roach-backed
    Tied-in
    Under-run heels
    Coon-footed
    Hunter's bump
    and more . . .

Nobody knows WTH I'm talking about? I have to explain to them the definitions of terms we all used to learn in 4-H or from Harry Disston's books as kids, certainly that we knew by the time we were running a place; anyone else experienced this?
    I wasn't in 4H (or Pony Club), have no idea who Harry Disston is. But I know all those terms. If someone doesn't understand you, just explain and be done with it. What's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    I don't know coon-footed, but the rest I'm familiar with. Could you explain that one?
    Long, sloping pasterns so the foot is out in front of them like a raccoon. Of course for that to be meaningful you would have to be familiar with what a raccoon's foot looks like!

Well, I know all those terms. But, I'm old so it stands to reason.

Doesn't surprise me that so many don't know. But then again, I have no idea what "lessoning" & "clinicing" mean. I also don't know why a riding instructor is called a "trainer". A trainer trains the horse, not a person.

It seems to me that the youngun's never spent rainy days memorizing "The Horseman's Encyclopedia" or "School for Young Riders" like my friends and I did, as well as having the opportunity to be barn rats.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I think all of us over 40 tend to think this eventually. All my teaching colleagues in all the disciplines (math, biology, nursing, computer science, etc.) tend to rant that "kids today just don't come in to college with the education they used to..."

The young people in the workplace in general seem to be clueless. I doubt they were any more clueless than we were at 22. Ranting about the inadequacies of the young is one of the perks of being over 40!

I understand, I always get those looks b/c even though I'm not really old, I grew up with old timers. I think I'm the only one who still has a blacksmith.

Not in my barn. The trainer/manager/instructor teaches her kids well, in the manner of traditional pony club education. On rainy days in summer camp they're quizzed on parts of the horse, or riding terminology, and random questions and reminders frequently pop up in lessons. For instance, in a recent lesson with some very young kids prepping for their first show (6-8 yrs old) she asked them if they knew what it meant when a judge asks them to drop their "irons".

And I've been known to tell my mechanic that my car's making a noise on the off side.
    Last edited by Hinderella; May. 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    Not in my barn. The trainer/manager/instructor teaches her kids well, in the manner of traditional pony club education. On rainy days in summer camp they're quizzed on parts of the horse, or riding terminology, and random questions and reminders frequently pop up in lessons. For instance, in a recent lesson with some very young kids prepping for their first show (6-8 yrs old) she asked them if they knew what it meant when a judge asks them to drop their "irons".

And I've been known to tell my mechanic that my car's making a noise on the off side.
    Love it! And if you really want to entertain them on a rainy day, we used to take about 6-10 bridles completely apart (depending on the number of kids), mix all the pieces up in a great big spaghetti-pile, and have them race to find all the parts to put a complete one together properly. Extra points if it's one with double reins . . .

Harry Disston stayed with us while judging a show in tidewater Virginia back in about 1974. Somewhere on my bookshelf is a paperback version of one of his books that signed for me. I treasure it.

That's odd that those terms aren't being used anymore. Are they replaced with something else or is this a case of a knowledge void???

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Roux View Post
    I think all of us over 40 tend to think this eventually. All my teaching colleagues in all the disciplines (math, biology, nursing, computer science, etc.) tend to rant that "kids today just don't come in to college with the education they used to..."
    But it IS true. I've been teaching in college for 20 years, and over the years I've noticed that the kids know less and less coming in. Could it be the results of this "teaching towards a specific job/career/goal and ignoring the non-essentials"" attitude, which is becoming the norm? (sorry - rant over)
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'm in my mid-20's and knew all of those except coon footed. They seem pretty basic to me.

I'd say "knowledge void"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    It seems to me that the youngun's never spent rainy days memorizing "The Horseman's Encyclopedia" or "School for Young Riders" like my friends and I did, as well as having the opportunity to be barn rats.
    This. I can remember putting labels of the parts of the horse on photos and making lists of "things needed for my stable".

Late foot - harness horse that has a burst of speed in the stretch.

I'll add to the terms that get me quizzical looks,

Quarter off your horses
    Skip out your stall
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Harry Disston stayed with us while judging a show in tidewater Virginia back in about 1974. Somewhere on my bookshelf is a paperback version of one of his books that signed for me. I treasure it.

That's odd that those terms aren't being used anymore. Are they replaced with something else or is this a case of a knowledge void???
    I'd have to say that it IS a knowledge void, and common to anyone who didn't get to become a Jr. Barn Rat, a Pony Clubber, a 4-H'er or just obsessed with horsey books. Even "trainers" today, if they haven't been through an Equine Studies major (and maybe even if they have!) did most of their learning in a lesson and showing scene while the help did the barn work. Anyone else wondering if this is why so many today also seem not to notice conformational defects? Stuff that jumps right out at me (like a punch in the eye!) other people don't even seem to see . . .

I realize this is one of my Cracker Barrel Rants, but still . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by ctanner View Post
    I'll add to the terms that get me quizzical looks,

Quarter off your horses
    Skip out your stall
    And "Strapping!" As in, "You're a good strapper, aren't you?"

pinto and paint meant the same thing pre Paint days