The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default spinoff - short video of my runaway dressage horse

spinoff from my thread on off course about runaway horses Here is a video of my runaway dressage horse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OWciiItS9g

My 5 yr old swedish wb cross had his first show of 2012 and we started at Level 1

He was pretty up when we got there and as I was tacking him up and putting on his bridle he bolted - omg - apparently there is a video of the escapade - but for a half an hour in my der dau boots we chased him around the parking field. He would grab some grass and then run around bucking. I was really worried as this is the first time he has ever been in a situation where he would be loose with other horses and as a former stallion I was freaking out. He surprised me there as he found a buddy - a gelding - and it did help settle him down. I felt really bad for everyone trying to help because there was really nothing they could do - he would run through everyone and he almost kicked someone - He is a bit of a handful and at 17.3hh he is pretty intimidating.

Finally, after 3 failed attempts thanks to someone's carrots i was able to slip the halter on him - about 8 minutes before my test - we were both very sweaty at this point. And he pulled a shoe - but wasn't lame so I said we are going for it - first time Level 1.

With 3 minutes to spare and thanks to my coach calming me down and reading the test we made it through the first test with some spooky and strong moments. 62% and 4th place

Handsome fellow who strikes a fetching pose at liberty...

I see a bubble over his head, "hmm, tasty grass !"

Good on you for going ahead anyway. Did you happen to fry the brains of anyone else's horse with the liberty demonstration?

Great story and love the video - glad you and your boy had a good outcome !

That was cute - he's lovely for sure. I love how calm everyone is.....and that you rode your test anyway!

I can see from the foam between his hind legs, that you gave him a proper warm-up prior to your test!

oh man, my fellow boarder and her bf are the ones who took this video. Another friend who was showing that day texted me saying there was a stallion that had gotten loose, and later she texted me his name. My response was "Pretty sure he's not a stallion...not unless some magical reversal surgery happened

good for you for still doing your test

Nice horse. Good job on the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by ConArtist View Post
    oh man, my fellow boarder and her bf are the ones who took this video. Another friend who was showing that day texted me saying there was a stallion that had gotten loose, and later she texted me his name. My response was "Pretty sure he's not a stallion...not unless some magical reversal surgery happened

good for you for still doing your test
    He was a stallion until 3 1/2 - he had not been loose with any other horses other than ours since he was gelded and I was really worried about his reaction to horses he didn't know as one of the reasons he was gelded is he attacked one of our geldings. Making this situation much worse for me than just a loose horse.

Hahaha!! I can actually hear him say: Ya man!!! this grass is awesome! Wooot! Rip, rip nomnomnomnom.....

Good job on the tests!

baahaha! self-lunging with lots of snack breaks

He is really pretty and has a great canter. Also a gourmet grass eater! Congrats for sticking with it and riding anyway!

Horses! Gotta love em!

Way to stick with it At least he seemed to stay away from the competition ring...

He's gorgeous and very shiny! I loved the story as told through photos.

Don't worry-the good ones are always a pain in the ass. It makes you appreciate the good moments so much more!

Great video. Great attitude (yours, not your horse's). Thanks for sharing this.
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

Default what a hoot

I really enjoyed this -- he looked so pleased with himself with tufts of grass sticking out of his mouth! I can see how he got away from you, as you are petite and he is... not.

Thanks for sharing.
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

Quote Originally Posted by staceyk View Post
    I really enjoyed this -- he looked so pleased with himself with tufts of grass sticking out of his mouth! I can see how he got away from you, as you are petite and he is... not.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you - you are my new best friend - actually I am a plus size rider. I am 5'7"

Good job (you, not him). He does look rather pleased with himself.

My trainer once years ago had a very noticeable runaway "warmup" that most of the show grounds witnessed in several minutes of action, and she, too, insisted on taking the horse on into the test. The judge wrote in comments, "Interesting warmup strategy."

Your saddle looks tiny on him! What is his breeding?
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

Quote Originally Posted by staceyk View Post
    Your saddle looks tiny on him! What is his breeding?
    that's an 18" saddle - he is a big boy at 17.3hh - he is 1/2 swedish wb by a CSHA approved stallion standing at October Farm in BC named Braveheart. His mother is a commercial cross that is CSHA approved - 1/2 clyde, 1/2 Hackney Horse - bred by Shady Maple Farms in Ontario. His mom was not big - 16.2hh.

He has two offspring - His two year old daughter out of a trak/tb 16.2hh mare is already almost 17 hh and his yearling son (full sibling to the filly) is almost 16hh.

Yowzers he's a beast! I'm sure he made a thunderous impression (ha ha, get it?) running around the grounds.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Thanks for sharing, what a handsome and BIG boy
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique