The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CP cruelty charges dismissed

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d...dismisses.html

"Animal cruelty charges have been dismissed against Olympian Cesar Parra, Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony P. Kearns III announced this morning, May 24.
    In March 2012, the Hunterdon County SPCA issued four summonses to Parra, 49, of Whitehouse Station after a complaint was made regarding an incident that occurred almost three years prior. Parra was accused by the SPCA of “torture or torment to a living animal” after a horse he was training was injured in June 2009.
    Kearns said, “Of the four summonses issued to Parra, one was related to a fourth degree crime, one was for a disorderly persons offense, and two were civil complaints.”
    The one criminal summons related to the disorderly persons offense was reviewed by the Hunterdon County Prosecutor’s Office. Prosecutor Kearns noted, “This incident occurred almost three years prior to the complaints being issued and the Statute of Limitations on Disorderly Persons offenses is one year, therefore that summons was dismissed.”
    Kearns added, “In regards to the remaining fourth degree criminal complaint, a thorough investigation into this matter was completed by my office, including multiple witness interviews. It has been determined that there is insufficient evidence to proceed with criminal charges in the case. The summons will be dismissed. The two civil complaints have been referred back to the Readington Township Municipal Court for appropriate disposition.”
    Meanwhile, a trial in a lawsuit between Miranda and Parra is scheduled to go to trial in July.
    Miranda filed suit in June 2011 against Parra, claiming Parra was negligent in the way he handled the horse and how he cared for him after the injury. On March 16, Miranda’s motion to file an amended complaint was granted. The amended complaint adds that Parra acted with wanton disregard to the rights of others. She claims that the release she signed just before the incident is not enforceable due to Parra's negligence.
    In April, Parra filed a counterclaim against Miranda and asked the judge to conduct a jury trial.
    The trial is scheduled to start on July 12."

the silence is deafening......
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

He is not someone I would support on the team.

I definitely wouldn't want someone on the team who looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy

"insufficient evidence to proceed" is not a vote of innocence.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    "insufficient evidence to proceed" is not a vote of innocence.
    No. But, when a prosecutor refuses to go forward, if means she or he thinks there isn't enough evidence for any jury to find the person guilty - which is worse than a "not guilty" verdict where at least there was enough evidence to take the case to a jury. I hope Dr. Parra will get his justice one day (and I don't mean exoneration), but this prosecution offended me as a lawyer. I don't know if you recall - I reached out to you politely in a PM, and you didn't want to hear it

I imagine CP will see this as vindication. He's showing Van the Man this weekend at the NJHP and will undoubtedly be as cocky as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    the silence is deafening......
    So say something.......
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Discobold - I honestly don't remember you.
    What was disturbing to me as a resident taxpayer in Hunterdon County was the fact that the County Investigator assigned to this case didn't bother to contact ALL of the individuals who came forward. Additionally, the ones he did speak to were limited to answering Yes or No to questions he asked them and he did not allow them to give full statements. So the issue of "insufficient evidence" is questionable due to the limited effort for discovery.
    It's rather unfortunate but horse people have to understand the legal system does not consider equine abuse issues to be a pressing matter. Even the laws on the books consider horses to be "property". The fact that they are living, breathing animals for many of us more like part of our family - doesn't equate with existing law. And I'm NOT in any way shape or form taking the PETA approach - which Mr. Davis - CP's benefactor was espousing in his press release.
    CP can continue with his proud strutting around at horse shows. But I'm one person who will NEVER watch him ride.

You guys sound like the RaRA PETA groups agains't the NYC carriage industry. No matter what happen, CP (or the Carriage industry) will undoubtly always be guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    What was disturbing to me as a resident taxpayer in Hunterdon County was the fact that the County Investigator assigned to this case didn't bother to contact ALL of the individuals who came forward. Additionally, the ones he did speak to were limited to answering Yes or No to questions he asked them and he did not allow them to give full statements. So the issue of "insufficient evidence" is questionable due to the limited effort for discovery.
    How do you know that ALL of the individuals weren't contacted and/or allowed to give full statement? They called you?

Who came forward?!? Mr. Buck?!? You really believe he is to be listened?!? (We haven't heard from him much lately...)

**ALL** How many witnesses were there?!? In the video we could see like max 10 people... Doesn't take that long to question each ones.

Oh.... They should have get the testimony of every individuals for the past 10 years who have something to say agains't CP, no matter if it is relevant or not to this case... as long as it is **proving** that CP is a mean person and beats horses on a daily basis.

As for me, CP will remain innocent in this case until proven guilty.

But I guess the Olympic torch could be used to burn him alive!

I think he should take up bicycling.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    You guys sound like the RaRA PETA groups agains't the NYC carriage industry. No matter what happen, CP (or the Carriage industry) will undoubtly always be guilty.

How do you know that ALL of the individuals weren't contacted and/or allowed to give full statement? They called you?

Who came forward?!? Mr. Buck?!? You really believe he is to be listened?!? (We haven't heard from him much lately...)

**ALL** How many witnesses were there?!? In the video we could see like max 10 people... Doesn't take that long to question each ones.

Oh.... They should have get the testimony of every individuals for the past 10 years who have something to say agains't CP, no matter if it is relevant or not to this case... as long as it is **proving** that CP is a mean person and beats horses on a daily basis.

As for me, CP will remain innocent in this case until proven guilty.

But I guess the Olympic torch could be used to burn him alive!
    As the Casey Anthony trial demonstrated there's guilt innocence and that which can be proved in court
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

FWIW, I know someone who trained with him most of this past winter. While he certainly demands top effort from both horse and rider, she never saw anything that came close to “abuse”, and she has seen much more aggressive and assertive methods used at some very high end barns in Germany and Holland. She also talked to a few of his people that were present for the incident in question, and their version of the horse’s behavior differs from the owner’s version (one of his people described the horse as “a striker that had to handled with care”).

That being said, CP will need a very good show this weekend to move up the ranking list. He is currently ranked #18 on the USEF High Performance GP ranking list, and the top 15 get invites to Gladstone (I believe it will be the top 16, since Steffen Peters has two horses in the top spots). I think CP’s chances of making the Olympic team are pretty slim.
    Last edited by DownYonder; May. 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo and clarification

It is often difficult to find sufficient proof so long after the fact, especially when the incident in question was not viewed as a possible criminal act and investigated as such at the time.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I think he should take up bicycling.
    Believe me, as a cyclist we wouldn't want him either.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

@DY who said: "one of his people described the horse as “a striker that had to handled with care”). "

Of course CP's people are going to say that. Do you honestly think they would say something that would benefit William's owner and speak against CP?? Of course they wouldn't, particular not with a man that wants all "his people" to sign confidentiality agreements.

I would LOVE to see him on a bike. Put him in a Peloton of 50 guys going 28+ mph in a crit. The man wouldn't last 2 seconds. He would be decimated after the first turn. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    @DY who said: "one of his people described the horse as “a striker that had to handled with care”). "

Of course CP's people are going to say that. Do you honestly think they would say something that would benefit William's owner and speak against CP?? Of course they wouldn't, particular not with a man that wants all "his people" to sign confidentiality agreements.
    So you are attesting that this person was lying? Do you think she (or he) also "lied" to the investigators? That would take a lot of chutzpah - it could be a bit embarassing getting pulled into court and having to tell a different story while under oath.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    So you are attesting that this person was lying? Do you think she (or he) also "lied" to the investigators? That would take a lot of chutzpah - it could be a bit embarassing getting pulled into court and having to tell a different story while under oath.
    Totally agree. I don't think there is anything wrong with having employees sign confidentiality agreements, the internet can be a dangerous place, just look at this thread as an example.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Alibi - I spoke with Trudy personally. And the individuals that were not contacted by the Investigator had called her to say THEY WERE NOT CONTACTED even though the were on the list. Others called her to say they tried to explain their experiences but were told to just answer yes or no to questions asked.
    I do not know, nor have I ever communicated with Mr. Buck nor do I intend to do that.
    I'm an anti - PETA person.

While the amount of smoke makes me think there's a fire somewhere in the barn in question, I felt the case appeared to be a witch hunt, and the way everything was phrased, the "evidence" involved, etc., all made it appear much more similar to the anti-carriage folks than legit.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post

That being said, CP will need a very good show this weekend to move up the ranking list. He is currently ranked #18 on the USEF High Performance GP ranking list, and the top 15 get invites to Gladstone (I believe it will be the top 16, since Steffen Peters has two horses in the top spots). I think CP’s chances of making the Olympic team are pretty slim.
    I know it's not on point, but heather blitz, on dressage radio, said that ravel is an automatic in and will not be going to Gladstone. SP will be competing on his 2nd horse.