The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 8 year old cat losing weight

He's at the vet right now, they are going to do lab work and he didn't have any pee in his bladder so they are waiting for some pee.

He's a beautiful shaded silver persian who at age 2 developed imflammatory bowel disease. he gets 1/2 prednisone once a day. He eats a LOT and always has - he begs until you give him three or 4 servings of breakfast in the morning, dry food, canned dinner. Has always been thin I think due to the IBD. I have not seen increase in water consumption or any behavioral abnormality.

he's gone from 7.6 lbs to 6.10. You can feel every vertebra and all of his ribs.

Any thoughts? Vet palpated throid glands (as well as the rest of his body, very thoroughly) and found no abnormality.
    Last edited by oliverreed; May. 24, 2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Steroids for 6 years? Iatrogenic cushings?

(Or, of course, your other big hitters for weight loss--kidney disease, hyperthyroidism...)

I hope its something easy to solve and not something like kidney problems (which in my kitties cases did result in weight loss, athough they lived for many years with it). Lucky kitty to have such an attentive mom!!

Well crap. Now he's not very interested in food. I will get lab results today. This kitty, by the way, is Oliver Reed - my name on this bb.

Claudia

What does the labwork say? I vote next step abdominal ultrasound to take a good look at those guts, kidneys etc. Any vomiting/diarrhea?

Still waiting for lab results. If they are inconclusive our next step is xray. I absolutely love and trust my vet, I've been with him for over a decade and we are on a first name basis. He's in his late 60s and owns the practice, it is a full service practice with a 24/7 emergency room.

Its awesome that you love your vet-that's critical!! I love Oliver Reed-Women in Love is one of my favorites!!

Xrays are great for looking for FB's, evauating kidney size etc. However, useless when it comes to assessing things like IBD/Lymphoma. If you are not financially concerned, yes...xrays then ultrasound but if I had limited funds I would go for an ultrasound.

Thanks STB, I will go with ultrasound if it comes to that. I am SO worried. It is completely unlike him to not request (demand, really) at least 3 servings of breakfast. He didn't even finish one today.

I spent $5,000.00 on the IBD diagnosis because per vet it was either IBD or cancer and if we started to treat the IBD it would have made treating cancer, if it turned out to be cancer, very difficult. So IBD was diagnosed via exploratory surgery. Have had no problems with him since then. I just adore this cat and after losing his big brother in January I can't stand the thought of losing him too.

OK, labs came back fine. Vet thhinks no Cushings (has never seen it in a cat) b/c blood glucose, liver enzymes are fine, no protein in urine. Yesterday his temp was a little higher than normal (102 as opposed to between 100 and 101) but within normal limits and no sign of infection per labs.

Vet wants to Xray to look at his thorax. Since Ollie is so thin, pliable, and cooperative, vet said there is no growth in abdomen per palpation so ultrasound not necessary at this time.

So I'm going to leave work now and take him over for an xray and double check his temp.

Errrr....iatrogenic cushings is not at all unusual for an animal that's been on steroids, especially for as consistently and as long as your cat has.

Also, an ultrasound of the abdomen does not only look for growths, it looks at the condition of the intestine. A thickened intestinal wall is indicative of some of the things Squish mentioned.

Perhaps it's time for a board certified vet or a specialty hospital?

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post

Vet wants to Xray to look at his thorax. Since Ollie is so thin, pliable, and cooperative, vet said there is no growth in abdomen per palpation so ultrasound not necessary at this time.

Yikes,this statement would want me to run to a new vet ASAP. You can NOT palpate lymphoma (extremely common in cats who have IBD). Ultrasound is one of the MOST diagnostic tools available in small animal medicine for various reasons. Just because a palpable mass isnt evident, doesnt mean there isnt something going on.

General workup order - bloods, symptomatic treatment, xrays/ultrasound, +/- endoscopy/surgery. I would also think about asking for a referral to an internist. You are going to get a higher educated vet in endocrine and neoplastic diseases.

Best of luck with your kitty - jingles jingles jingles!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Yikes,this statement would want me to run to a new vet ASAP. You can NOT palpate lymphoma (extremely common in cats who have IBD). Ultrasound is one of the MOST diagnostic tools available in small animal medicine for various reasons. Just because a palpable mass isnt evident, doesnt mean there isnt something going on.

General workup order - bloods, symptomatic treatment, xrays/ultrasound, +/- endoscopy/surgery. I would also think about asking for a referral to an internist. You are going to get a higher educated vet in endocrine and neoplastic diseases.

Best of luck with your kitty - jingles jingles jingles!!!!!
    I second all of this!!

Well no insight but sure wish Mr. Reed good luck! I don't know where you are but I have also had very good luckw ith Colorado State University's small animal consult line. They have worked both me (because I am overamped about it) and my vet. In Fort Collins. Jingles for the kitty!

I hope Oliver Reed is feeling better - kitty jingles galore!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

If I was you, I would take Oliver Reed to a large "small animal" hospital and have a complete work up done. Yes, it will cost $$$$, but I am sure they would be able to get to the bottom of it. Don't waste time and money continueing on with your regular vet, in fact, he should have suggested that himself.

I don't mean to come off too hard on your vet, but I found out myself last year that my regular vet can only do so much and then its time to bring in the big guns. My cat ended up with an esophagial feeding tube, so that I could force feed my fatty liver disease guy, which the specialty hospital was able to diagnose. My regular vet clinic couldn't even help me with the removal of the tube as they'd never even seen a patient with one, my cat was the first, and they had no idea what might be involved. So please get thee and Oliver Reed to the specialty hospital!

Jingling for an easily treatable and recoverable diagnosis.

Thanks a bunch for all the advice and jingles! My vet's office is a large animal hospital and my vet is board certified internist. Things went downhill over the weekend and Ollie spent two nights in ICU, all tests including ultrasound inconclusive, they think it was a virus because two of my other cats were ill (diarhhea and lots of it). Everyone is much better now, am feeding ollie little bits every few hours. I had to feed mixed canned food and water via syringe at first because he wasn't eating otherwise. I was not sure if he was going to make it, this weekend was basically hell.

I am SO lucky I have a wonderful boss who is letting me work from home the next few days.

Wow, so sorry about poor Oliver Reed!! Ihope it is clearing up!! have done the canned and water, also used baby food, when had to get something in, whatever will work!!

Hope he is improving but that is so scary!

Hyperthyroid?