The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    timedjumpoff is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Winglet:
    you KNOW it's not all about the size of the whip... Remember, STRENGTH, not length! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah ha! Now I understand why my former trainer always used a cut-off hose instead of a crop.
    Very, very thick, about 2' long, and stiff as a board, just the sight of it would drive show management out of their minds. Now I know what all the screaming was about.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    "WHINNYING" IS EVERYTHING!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAyers:
    However, LONG warm-ups are wholly encouraged.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd be surprised at how many supposedly skilled horsepeople don't get the fact that you are going to have a grumpy ride if you don't warm up first.

You can't just get on and go!!

Duh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You'd be surprised at how many supposedly skilled horsepeople don't get the fact that you are going to have a grumpy ride if you don't warm up first.

You can't just get on and go!!

Duh. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This won't work, not at my house. Without a commitment of a long warm up, I won't even open the tackroom.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Original Poster

Long warmups are nice, and especially useful for putting the young, green ones at ease. However, after years of showing the same horse, the anxiety and tensions of the past are long gone, so you can skip the LONG warmups.

Truth be told, most of the time, all you want is to finish the round as quickly as possible, without looking rushed. If that's not to be, you must accept the inevitable--your faithful hunter has turned into a jumper!

But think of all the time you'll save? Get the horse off the the truck, tear off his blanket, and hust tack up, not forgetting protection, of course. After you're in the saddle, canter around once or twice, taking some practice fences, while hoping to get at least one good touch (up front or behind) before entering the main ring.

No it will never be like the smooth flowing, leisurely rounds of the past, but you'll come to acquire a new appreciation for the joy of speed!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by timedjumpoff on Dec. 23, 2002 at 04:11 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nhwr:
    what about the use of gadgets?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that the use of gadgets would be up to the management, but I suggest that a talented and properly trained horse would not need such devices for a pleasant and satisfying ride.

Niners aren't linear; we're everywhen.
    Niners aren\'t linear; we\'re everywhen.

but it may not be the horse's problem. Riders sometimes feel compelled to use gadgets to compensate for their own shortcomings.

sometimes they produce different and interesting results. Even if you don't think they have a place in your training program, sometimes it is interesting to try them. If you don't like what they do, don't keep them. But as long as they don't have the potential to draw blood, they might add some new energy.

It doesn't mean there are shortcoming on the part of the rider. After all, rowled spurs are required at FEI. So it pays to know how to use some gadgets with finesse if you want to advance.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

TJO, even a seasoned horse likes a long warmup before some rounds, no it is not necessary every ride, but still appreciated and essential if sourness is to be avoided.

nhwr, you've explained the use of gadgets quite nicely. I agree. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heineken:
    That is fantastic...PLEASE copy and paste is somewhere and email it to me...I'm on a school computer right now or I would do it myself...

EMPLOYED!!!! Finally!! I started at Cosi and didn't spill anything on anyone (yet), Dupont North for all you VA/MD/DC'ers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CUT AND PASTE????????? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Original Poster

Careful Tricky, you only think you're under the radar screen here.

I really thought this thread had died...

EMPLOYED!!!! Finally!! I started at Cosi and didn't spill anything on anyone (yet), Dupont North for all you VA/MD/DC'ers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Original Poster

Me too, Heineken. RIP!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]