The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Well, actually QHSM does/can set jumps, but unfortunately she doesn't, uhm, "bend well" anymore. So it's kind of like, "Mom, today. I need that pole thrown out to the side today. He's drifting right today..." Eventually I climb off, hand the reins to her and do it myself.

But she makes a mean potato salad! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Merry can feel the chants... Hambola schooled very well on the flat today. Let's see which baby steps off the trailer in the morning.

It means the world to me, chef, that you suffer the humiliation of showing a baby greenie warmblood along with me. Is there a special medal for these acts of insanity?

Looking into crystal ball, adjusting Walmart turban on my head: I foresee rusty getting barn. Get the barn, get the barn, get the barn, get the barn...

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Sometimes sticks in the corner, blowing his changes away. He kicks out a leg and pulls on the reins, then snorts, "What a bad boy am I!"
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

But, ain't he purdy while he's doin' it? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Merry simply cannot be seen astride anything other than an "oooooohh, ahhhhh" horse. If I'm going to look like a doofus amateur at times, I might as well look good doing it!

Is my tiara straight?

Beezer: "You sure that's enough bit?"
    Merry: "Oh yes. He ALWAYS goes in this."
    Hammie's stride is getting longer....

Beezer: "I think you need more bit."
    Merry: "NO. He ALWAYS goes in this."
    Hammie has now bolted around the corner of the arena....

Beezer: "MERRY, you NEED more bit. You HAVE to be able to stop."
    Merry: "NO! He can JUST GO in this bit."
    Hammie, having realized that he is essentially loose in his little Happy Mouth snaffle, is now proceeding around the arena at Mach 3 with the skinny blonde lady on his back....

Beezer: "Any time you'd like to stop...."
    Merry: "$$%%@@@@ this horse!!"
    Hammie has now planted himself and Merry into the branches of the huge tree that stretches over the fence from the outside of the arena. Merry scrambles off him and marches him over to Beezer.

Merry: "Here. Hold him. I have to go get another bit." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Rusty wants to thank everyone that chanted for me. I found out earlier today that they awarded the concession for the barn to another bidder, that already has a concession with them. That is why the district awarded it to them, I wish they had told me how much emphasis they put on that, and I would not have wasted my time or energy. Oh well some thing better will come along, and I hope soon. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Oh, Rusty! I'm so sorry about your disappointment. Did they give you any tips on what you could do differently ... other than saying get a concession with them? And isn't that kind of Catch-22 just SO infuriating?? As in, you could have had the barn from us if only you had a barn from us ... sigh.

Oh, Rusty. I'm so sorry you were aced out by "nepotism." It seems that in everything, the horse scene included, it's not what you know but who you know.

But, everything happens for a reason and I'm assuming a better situation will come along very soon.

Cheers, Maggi
    Cheers, Maggi

Thanks for your support. My business partner and I are trying to think something better will come along. The 3 fortunes that I got tonight at the local chinese resturant are:
    1.Don't always think the worst hope for the best.
    2.There is true and sincere friendship between you both.
    I understand these 2 but the third one has me wondering.
    3.Your present plans are going to suceed.
    I just wish I knew what my present plans are.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Maybe winning the lottery?

You can do it rusty. When one door closes, another door opens.
    (I joined the thread a little late, but i'm sending you vibes, rusty!)

Rusty so very sad to hear that the barn didn't work out but there's got to be something better around the corner. Keep your spirits up [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And Chef...hopefully construction will be swift and relatively noiseless.

Good luck Merry! How about a blender of Rusty's margaritas for The Hambola? Let us know how you do in the Hack & Snack Division. If you ever need a HSM, let me know. Hey about about a CA clique HS support team (When Therapy isn't enough or your trainer has had a meltdown, like mine did in Indio LOL!Lucky Wty with organized, sane trainer!!) WE'll come move those jumps, school those horses, make those margaritas, drink those margaritas, rattle those 18k curb chains and bring your Manolos so you have something to slip into apres HS [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Now for my bedtime Mantra: Fix Chef's Barn,Fix Chef's Barn,Fix Chef's Barn,Fix Chef's Barn, then fix Chef a margarita! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Coreene: See you tomorrow!!! Suave Reno jangles her curb chain and prepares for dreamland [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Rusty, it means you will succeed. The plans of a new barn will happen!! This is only a little hiccup in the long drink of life.

Wty goes back to thinking up prose for Merry's quality ride on saturday. Knowing full well, one's tiara needs to be firmly in place, she reaches into her show bag of tricks. Hmmm lets see, bee's wax? Nah, nail glue? YES! This will do it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Now if the little show off, Hambonie mahloney, behaves, we just may have a winner! Thats one for the cult. Manolo's on! Curbs, jingling, we are off...... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hicup
    Would hambonie like a carrot or apple Margartita?
    If I start making Carrot Margaitas will they be the next great horse treat? Maybe we could even say they are healthy for you.

LOL Rusty...I'm having visions of that Juice Man guy who did all those infomercials with that Juicer. He'd pour all sorts of weird things into the juice machine and then drink it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

ROFL A/A you are too much! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] A Ha! That can be the next big enterprise, Carrot Margarita's for our horses. Rusty, you're a genius. Testing for that could be wery interesting. Can you see the horses all lined up for a breathalizer? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Now we have to start manufacturing equine breathalizers. If the test is postitve on the breathalizer then you have to wait around for the pee sample, otherwise you don't. Just think of the money we can make. One in every barn times a few grand fortesting and developement and we've got it made. Then we all can build our own barns.

Let's summarize. It went about like this:

1. Awaken at 4:30 a.m. & wonder if I'm either A)getting too old for this, or B)insane.

2. Drive to Del Mar (San Diego area, along coast) in intermittent fog, which means QHSM is supplying both weather reports and horse-hauling instructions the entire span of the 15 Freeway.

3. Arrive at Showpark. I'm about the only haul-in, as it's a multi-day show. Hammie promptly whacks QHSM in head while disembarking from trailer, which leaves a stubborn fluorescent orange "kissy mouth" of lipstick on his neck. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

4. I begin longeing in longe arena, only to have Hambola slip and fall, creaming my Pessoa saddle and embedding wet sand into his floofy sheepskin pad. When he stands up he's DFL (Dead F****ng Lame). But he walks out of it. Return to trailer to clean him up.

5. Hacks beautifully for eq. class. Proceed to Ring #2 for flat class. While standing outside gate, Hambola is amused by pony hunters under saddle in adjoining ring. Suddenly squeals and leaps into air, pitching. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Return to warm-up ring to canter around in two-point.

6. Enter Ad. Am. open eq. on flat. Hammie is intrigued by the incredibly long, flowing, silver tail of a gray that drags about four inches on the ground. I mean, he's transfixed. I decide to extricate myself to opposite half of arena. Class goes well, but during downward transition from canter to posting trot, I get a lovely transition, about six trot steps, and then Hammie decides perhaps cantering was better, and breaks into a canter for a couple of strides, naturally right in front of judge. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    We also have one pitching episode when judge coughs inside booth as we do sitting trot past her.

7. I still end up 3rd.

8. Go BACK to trailer again for change of bridle. I now know to use a wire-wrapped dee-ring, okay? I get to do a total of 3 x's and 3 oxers, and school a couple of changes on a figure 8. Enter arena. Land on correct lead after first fence, lope thru lines, pitching fit in one corner, so I circle, clueless when I ask for next lead change, but otherwise course is very nice.

9. Go back in for second round. "Wow," I'm thinking, "he was absolutely awesome over the long approach to the single oxer!" I get my lead change. Could I be on a winning go? Jump thru next line well, ignores request for change, I get 1/2 finally, continue around turn for diagonal line, and he starts bulging into my right leg. So I start this argument: "Get the heck off my right leg!" all the way down to the line. Finally, he KICKS OUT TO MY RIGHT LEG, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FENCE! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] Oh, this is very baaaddd pony! I pull him up, because we are not allowed to jump in this frame of mind. Alas, QHSM is holding my crop [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] , so I have to *sigh* smack him on the right side with my open hand. Then I do a leg yield, canter around and jump out the line.

10. I stop off in the warm-up arena on way back to trailer, and get two lovely lead changes in a figure 8. My low Am Ad classes won't start for 2 hours, so we decide to call it a day.

11. On way home, I make mistake of mentioning gasoline prices, which somehow gets QHSM reflecting on gas coupons and rationing during WWII, which moves into recollections of Pearl Harbor and air raid sirens. QHSM tears up and sobs the whole way home! Who KNEW????

Sorry for rambling, but I feel oh, so much better now!

rusty, I feel your pain. Since you've been opening up fortune cookies, can you stay in the same vein and wave a magic wand and make Hammie one year older, with a season's worth of show mileage? Please!

[This message was edited by Merry on Mar. 24, 2001 at 08:07 PM.]

Ooo, ooo, ooo! I love the idea. I get to so few shows these days that I need a purpose in life. Being part of the official support team for any and all who need/want support would be fun, f-u-n, FUN! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cheers, Maggi
    Cheers, Maggi

Sorry to hear about your frustrations at the show, Merry. But look on the bright side (hey, I'm a Sagitarrius....always claiming the glass is half full), at least you didn't need those EMT's!

Oh, by the way, do they still have those funky white plastic panels hung along the hunter rings at Showpark? We had a pre-green hunter at our barn that absolutely HATED that ring. She saw those stupid panels moving in the breeze, stopped, stood up, and wouldn't budge!!! My poor trainer couldn't even get this horse out of the ring...she almost had to get off!

Maybe Hammie just needs some of that carrot/apple margarita mix! I hear Rusty is creating a variety of herbal concoctions as an additive to the margaritas...each is formulated for a specific dispostion. It's sort of like those "boost" powders offered at Jamba Juice. I hear she is working right now on the "anti-pitch" powder. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey, my legs are aching so badly right now, I'm the one in need of an elixir!

No, the panels were not there. Just the white PVC fencing. But there were port-o-potties lined up along one length of the arena. Fortunately, we had that battle at Ride America last summer. Now, port-o-potties are *yawn* boring.

Merry, sorry to hear about your not so great day with Hammie.

I guess it's what's laughingly called "getting mileage." I promise it will be better next time though you won't have the funny little incidents to tell us about.

Cheers, Maggi
    Cheers, Maggi