The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ooooh, Suave, does this require a secret e-mail?

"Oh no, Max, not the Cone of Silence! No! Don't lower the Cone of Silence!!!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Trainer splits: I get it, you mean the way clients split the trainer's hotel & meals, etc. at away shows. LOL, I knew one dressage-riding friend who went to Del Mar for five days and got a bill for over $1,000, too, for her trainer's splits. And there were a lot of other clients that went. Turned out her split was not only paying for the trainer, but also his assistant, the barn manager, and the barn's own video crew [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] (only in California, eh?). And naturally, they stayed at the Hilton! She left, too.

I suppose The T you're referring to is UNO WHO. So, this person now sees "themself" on the same level of oh, say Hap Hansen or Mary Gatti? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Top flight, impeccable A circuit reputation, with moolah bucks clients? Gee, I would've never put The T on that level.

Cool AAJumper, that's better than wearing a red carnation [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] As we get closer let me know what your class schedule looks like. I'll look forward to watching you. Your pics that you posted a while back were terrific [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

I keep telling myself someday..I'll get there. Tonight I jumped in the new arena. We've recently changed arenas (since we share the grounds with other trainers. We are now located in the (Merry, you should appreciate this!!) FREEWAY arena. WE canter up to the outside line (6 strides. Just as we are approaching stride 5, a big semi puts on the breaks, Reno puts on the breaks, then I put on the breaks about midway up his neck. It wasn't pretty [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] We then try the other line 7 strides we get there in 5 and I call it a day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Maybe tomorrow will be better [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Merry, you guessed it. Be my luck the T is lurking...opps hush my mouth [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I think I got off cheap. My splits the 1st week were $280. and $350. respectively. Although, I do think trainers need to itemize their splits like we do for expense accounts. Don't you think? I need to know what I am paying for their hotel, meals and "entertainment" LOL! I wannna see how they prorated it. Why not take it a step further and put together a T & E policy. Heck, why don't we go one step further and put together a Customer's Bill of Rights [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Where's Trusty Rusty with the Margaritas when you need her [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Speaking of which, every Friday nite is GNO (girls' nite out) at the barn rather (apres ride)
    and it's Margaritas galore (Sister to Pussy..ok ok too many James Bond flicks of late [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). I guess I'm getting a little tired [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

You mean your trainer does not itemize the splits? Wow! Everytime we've been with various trainers, Beezer and I know up front which hotel they're staying in. Plus, the bill states the total amount of the hotel bill divided by # of clients=our amount of the split.

Sorry, but I am soooo not paying for my trainer to go to the local cinema to see "Erin Brockovich" on my dime, or hang out sipping gin and tonic at the local Bully's. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

Why is it that I can be a savy business woman during the day but become a naive 15 year old when dealing with THE T [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Rusty is here with the blenders all warmed up what flavor this time ? Original, Strawberry, or frosty Gatorade?

I take one day off to interview for a new barn and every one runs out of Margatritas. I hope the people that have the barn want me as much as you guys want me to make Margaritas. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Every one please think positive thoughts that I get this barn. Thnks alot. I will let you know if I get it.

My trainer itemizes all the show expenses...but she tries to keep costs low. For example, one of our riders has a camper (which used to be owned by our trainer) and my trainer stays in her camper with her whenever possible. There are no food/entertainment expenses, and she doesn't have an entourage. The only "luxury" item we paid for at Indio was the golf cart, which we all used frequently.

OMG...that reminds me of a funny golf cart story. It was week 2 of Indio, and I arrived at the crack of dawn to meet up with my trainer to walk the schooling jumper course. So we jump in the golfcart, and off we go. We park near the entrance to the arena area (along the "main drag"), walk the course, and then we go to get breakfast and ice. As we come back to where we parked the golf cart, I start towards the nearest cart, and my trainer tells me that no, that isn't our cart because ours had a seat in the back.

So now we are perplexed and figure someone has mistakenly taken our golf cart and left theirs. So we decide to go watch the first few rounds of the schooling jumpers since we see Beth Underhill is warming up Altair (one of my trainer's fave horses). We watch a few rounds, and keep glancing at the "other" golf cart, which hasn't moved. We are now contemplating taking that golf cart, and letting the rental people deal with the mix-up. In the meantime, my trainer decides to call her hubby and complains to him about this golf cart dilemma. Now our bag of ice is starting to melt.

All of a sudden, a light pops on in my head. "Ummmm...don't those back seats in the cart fold down??? And, uh, could the seat have been folded down by the grooms, and we didn't notice???" My trainer and I exchange an "oh my god we are NOT that lame" look, as we rapidly walk towards the golf cart that is amazingly parked in the same spot we parked, and hasn't moved. As we approach the cart, we are in near hysterical laughter as we see the tag on the cart with my trainer's name. I hadn't laughed that hard in a long time...and haven't laughed that much again until yesterday, when my boss who I hate stepped in the owner of our company's dog's poop. But I digress. And yes, my trainer and I are both blonde.

SuaveReno, I understand the feeling. I used to have a trainer who had the knack of totally making us feel like children, especially when it came to buying horses!!! He had us all suckered into buying horses for way more money than they were worth...and right after someone would buy a horse, he'd magically have extra cash to buy a new truck, trailer, etc. And of course the horse would always turn out to be completely lame, rank, you name it! And people would do this multiple times!!!! This guy just had the ability to convince people to totally trust him. Then he ran off with his 17 year old student. Ugh. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Rusty, make that a strawberry-banana margarita for me....
    But there's booze in the blender
    And soon it will render
    That frozen concoction that helps me hang on
    Wasted away again in Margaritaville
    Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt...
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

AAJumper concentrates hard....."rusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barn...."

rusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barnrusty will get that barn, rusty will get that barn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Ummmm, ummmmmmm,ummmmmmm. wty whispers the mantra as the rest chant for rusty. Get the barn rusty...Echoing A/A strawberry banana here... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Guess I have been lucky, my trainer has always broken everything down. No guessing, no surprises. Let's you know up front what the expenses will be. Also, if you need a break, you can feed & muck your own, get your horse ready, and still be with the barn. I on the other hand, would much prefer someone else making her pretty. Where's my spainish dictionary? She's a puerco! Much too much work.

Merry, of course Californians are waaaaay cool! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Actually your neighbor was probably reading the thread about the Koi pond and decided not to have a fish factory next door.

Please keep chanting Rusty will get that barn. While shaking your curb chains. I haven't heard yet and I hate waiting.

After mercilessly rubbing it in that WE had an COVERED ring when all of you were creating your rice paddy's and koi farms, I come to the barn to find out that the footing in our outdoor jumping arena has washed out to the ocean. Literally. And once our bridge got swept downstream, there was no stopping it (and no way to even get to to the ring, either.) I guess we deserve it...

And now a stream has magically sprouted where the trail to our track once lay. So no trail rides either!

The gods have gotten their revenge. And now I won't brag about our nice shady covered ring during the height of the summer for fear a plague of locusts will come and carry it away!

And the word on the street on that trainer is that they rate themselves far above Mary Gatti and Hap Hansen. They are now approaching Ludger Beerbaum legends in their own mind.

How frightening.

But on to happy happy happy, SuaveReno I look forward to meeting you tomorrow! Best place to go is toodle down to the tack shop at the bottom of the hill (Steinberg's Tack & Feed) and ask Marie, who runs the show, where I am. Which will probably be around the tack shop because I need to garden tomorrow. And I have the gardens in front of Ginny Spooner's barn and Steinberg's.

Look forward to seeing you then!

"Hmmmmm," Coreene thinks, "she mentioned Manolos again. I bet there's a real kinship with SuaveReno and I that's already there without knowing about it. Shoe Girls rule." And she jingles her 18kt Curb Chain Bracelet from QVC and mumbles off after a cup of coffee.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Well, chef, sounds like now you guys will be treated to the soothing, horse-friendly sounds of construction equipment!

coreene and Suave, have fun on Saturday.

I will be at Showpark with the Hambola, cantering around baby green and low A/A courses all day. My first class, right off though, is A/A eq. on the flat. That should be, well, "entertaining" as he's usually a goom-bah for the first 30 minutes at any show (think pitching and humping of back).

What makes the whole day promise to be even more memorable is that my trainer has a wedding, so she's not coming, and Beezer is working the night shift at the Times, so I guess I can't drag HER along. That means it's me and Queen of Horse Show Moms and a four-year-old warmblood! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

May the saints protect us! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Please, offer up your best vibes and jangle those curb chains for me, okay?

"Hambola-rama Hambola-rama Hambola-rama." She then jingles 18kt QVC Curb Chain Bracelet and sprinkles an offering of Show Sheen on the ground.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Oh, great, coreene! I'll probably step in the Show Sheen and slip on my Tailored Sportsman-cloaked arse!

I shall log an update later on how my schooling ride went. It'll be the first ride in the former koi pond.

I am soooo not looking forward to tomorrow! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

May the Horse Show Force be with you. I am curious - does the QHSM set jumps? Can I borrow her? My QHSM's favorite horse show pastime is to dote upon her can-do-no-wrong animal as I bandage the blisters on my hands from trying to hold back said horse turned freight train. I sometimes venture to shows sans trainer and can always use an impartial grounds person. Come to think of it, while we were growing up, it was just the same but with dogs. In fact, the dogs got preferential treatment over us kids to the point we named the dogs FLK's (Funny looking kids) we should have called ourselves TLD's (Two-Legged dogs.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Now we have three chants going? She rolls her wrist to hear the soothing sounds of the cult's 18kt curb chain bracelet. Thinking back to the QVC debacle, is always good for a laugh, and oh my, very entertaining.

So Merry, since you will be doing a lovely interuptation of the Flying Walenska's tomorrow, we will keep the chant going thru out the day for you.

Merry, Merry oh so brave, keep her seated on that lovely bay... He is bay isn't he? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Wty ceremoniously sprinkes more show sheen on the ground.

She slips off her Manolos and starts doing the Lead Change Dance while jingling not one but three 18kt QVC Curb Chain Bracelets and singing "Hambola krishna, Hambola krisha."

She then stops, horrified, and realizes she's been dipping into the Bolly far too much.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I hope I'm not too late to add my chant to the rest. To compensate, I'm shouting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cheers, Maggi
    Cheers, Maggi