The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

While Black English is one of the studies--the term "Ebonics" is outdated and generally frowned upon as being somewhat degrading--it is not the only study that is relevant [research is not based upon one study], nor was it the only study to which I was refering. Studies have been conducted concerning different usagages; however, I think you have missed my point about correct usage. People will always [case in point, President Bush has more of a Texas drawl when in Texas in comparison with how he speaks when addressing the nation, but his usage is still correct] use slang and different terminology especially with the groups in which they are familiar because it is the norm. In company where people are not well known to one another, one who presumes to use incorrect language--be it abusive, profane, or merely incorrect--incorrect style, or overt slang should expect that they will be perceived--correctly or incorrectly--as ignorant. Basically, when someone knows what is correct and chooses not to use the correct language, people tend to not pay attention is detail to what they say because it is hard to follow. Many times, these people then result to inflamitory behavior or defensive behavior in order to put down those around them--it is a very typical defensive behavior exhibited by low self esteem/insecurity within a group setting.

OJ, I am not classifying you as such and hope you can understand this, this is merely a statement about group dynamics and one of the many things I have been instructed in as I taught in a school district which had it's own type of dialect which student reverted to using quite often. Many of the teachers who did not come from the district, used correct English and were often perceived as snobs by students or teachers who came from backgrounds similar to the students. While never encouraged to "talk down" to the students by modifying speech/language skills/usage, it was presented to assist those in understanding the student's point of view. While you are entitled to your opinion of using non-standard English, your negative comments towards those who point out the difficulty of understanding your posts are not showing the understanding that you demand of others. The fact is that your posts are hard to read, and while the content is not a waste of time, the fact that it takes twice as long to read them is. While I commend you for taking Honors English, your assumption that I was only talking about "Black English" does demonstrate the fact that you are not as well informed as you think. While it is certainly one study, there are many more which deal with "standard English." While most if not all people on this board recognize the right you have to use whatever type of english/typing you desire, you need to have the responsibility to take the results of your decision. Most people are not attacking, but informing because it is difficult to follow, and right or wrong, does effect the perception of your education and knowledge.

As far as the ad that GM put up about a "student" and the position not being a paid one, I am not familiar with many positions of working students that are paid. Some do come with a small salery, but many of the top riders are paid to take a student--as Denny Emerson said, consider it a graduate course in horse studies.

[This message was edited by Ela on Nov. 22, 2001 at 08:37 PM.]

well, sorry that it takes SO long to read. i mean its not like i am saying, i dont like you so i am not going to type perfect. i mean whatever. but anyways i am having a great thanksgiving, how about you guys???

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been cut off, sorry folks!!
    ~*Proud co-owner of CorLin Productions*~
    Not all men are annoying... some are dead

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Remi and me:
    Easier said then done! My house, my car, my horse my tack and equipment, and most often my mind - all cluttered and often in need of tidying up! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    I've been on this clean up thing since the end of summer and I think I am driving my family nuts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps Mr. Morris would consider being a consultant to those of us who need organization in our lives? I know he would have a field day at my farm [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] My organizational skills are non existent....I used to have them, now, I would prefer to ride rather than tidy up. However, when I know guests are coming to the farm, I do sweep out the barn. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ObiliviousJumper87:
    I am sorry, but I have better things to do in my life than sit and correct my english/grammar at all aspects. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah.....the musings of the young.

I used to think the exact same way. Now that I am older, and we won't say how old, believe me, attention to detail is important as Mr. Morris has pointed out in many of his writings in the Chronicle. Correct usage of the language we speak or write helps those reading your posts. So for the sake of all reading, please do your part. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jane:

Have you ever been around George when he caught someone driving through too fast? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO! Have you? I bet it isn't pretty!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    That's why I don't understand why he doesn't have a gate... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

He wasn't nasty at all....was funny actually. It was during a clinic, a nice day, we were in the indoor with the doors opened. A car went by pretty fast...you could hear the gravel crunching and flying. George stopped talking, went over to one of the grooms and ask him to find and have a "chat" with the offender. The groom nodded and started to walk away, George then said (loud enoug for all to hear) "and if they don't listen, SHOOT THEM!" We all cracked up, including him. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] He then went on about how people should learn to have respect for other people's properties, as well as horses and dogs.
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

He really does have a great sense of humor. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] And I like how he mentions dogs in conjunction with respect and love for horses. If you see him around dogs (his or somebody else's), you can tell he just adores them. Before one of my lessons, he stopped to basically have a short conversation with somebody's Jack Russell puppy...which ended with him getting his face licked! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Almost asked him about it in the question and answer period. Sorry I didn't! Especially since when he sees people with toes against the inside branch he says or has said more or less "while it is not incorrect, it is old-fashioned." Did someone start a thread on this? I'm catching up after going away for the weekend. Maybe in a day or two I can go back to my notes and post more of his comments. Or start a new thread on the ARIA conference and summarize Denny Emerson and Mike Page's talks too.