The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I'm not sure about the draw reins being allowed, but personally I would be a bit nervous about doing a jumper class with them. I've seen horses get caught up when jumping and doing tight turns. Oh to keep this from being deleted. Maybe George Morris has an opinion?

marion

"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."
    ~ Galloway Gypsy Proverb
    marion

\"The judge didn\'t happen to hurl his pen over his shoulder at that moment did he?\"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As an aside...are draw reins really allowed in jumper classes? (can you tell I don't show much? )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They and german martingales are allowed in classes up to either $1000 or $2500. I think it is $1000.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Maybe George Morris has an opinion? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With my knowledge on George, I doubt he would like them. In the wrong hands draw reins can do more harm than good and can lead to what I call the tuck and pull technique from your horse.

On the draw rein danger thing- attaching them to a breastplate is safer than attaching them to the girth.

yeah, draw reins are a major no-no in dressage because it gives the horse a "false" head set.

~*Lindsay*~
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

i am a huge fan of drawriens. i am very sorry to hear about your horse dieing, matt was practically my life at that time almost lik ea perosn dieing. but anyways. I know that running are aloud 5k and up and stading are 5k and down <i think its like that> anyways i think that drawreins really help in controlling the head so you can turn alot easier.

slure slure!!
    Not all men are annoying... some are dead

George Morris or his Hunterdon partners Cris Kappler and Jeff Cook do not allow any gimmicks at their clinics. Since they represent or are themselves the best international caliber riders in the country and have over 50 years experience in turning out international caliber winners we should follow their lead.

From Allergy Valley USA
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I got the mail and oh what did i find, the PH issue. Happily i flew to the couch with a bag of potatoe chips and read his ever so interesting column. It wasn't bad at all, at least he said some nice things about the riders <gasp!> But i also looked upon the letters to the editor and those were extremely brilliant. I am so damn < !> happy that some people are finally speaking up!!! I mean i am sorry that us "normal" people dont have 4 grooms to run around and take boots or polos off on a snap of a finger <as i saw at dressage at devon, haha lindsay> And also i do help with the barn at times to get reduced board fees or free whatever and he11 if i am going to go in boots and breeches and muck out crap. knowing me ill smear it on my @$$, now wouldnt that just look bright!? but anyways, like that one women said, just b/c i ride in chaps sometimes , ok well most of the time, doesnt mean i dont have "RESPECT" for my sport, how dare him tell me what i have respect for and what i dont!
    slure slure!!

O.J. I wish you would take the profanity out of your posts. We don't need it.
    I appreciate the fact you are entitled to your opinion however as a kid you have neither the experience nor the maturity to make an intelligent observation about the man's teaching style and obviously have no idea what he accomplished as an active rider. Your posts reflect that.
    He is what he is because that is what his teachers taught him to be. The same teachers who taught some of your fellow BBers who went on to design the Olympic courses or owned the horses who jumped them, at least one of which is on your jumping horse calender. You may even have a Breyer model of an Olympic horse owned by a BBer.
    Before you slam everybody on the BB as you seem to be fond of doing you might want to stop to consider the contributions they continually make to our sport.
    And grow up. Your attitudes don't do much to make us adults think much of your generation's ideals, ethics or sportsmanship.
    Sorry but you did ask for it.

From Allergy Valley USA
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ObiliviousJumper87: like that one women said, just b/c i ride in chaps sometimes , ok well most of the time, doesnt mean i dont have "RESPECT" for my sport, how dare him tell me what i have respect for and what i dont!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow, I don't think that's what he meant to say. His "Jumping Clinic" is a public forum, like a horse show. A show in which HE is the judge. Knowing this, why would anyone send in a photo that is even the LEAST bit sloppy and expect him not to say anything about it? I ride in jeans & chaps too, but I never look sloppy. The girl in the picture he made those comments about looked sloppy to me. IMHO, she asked for it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] If any of those letter-writers think their comments will make GM change his ways, they better think again! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Also, it's not about how many grooms you have, or how much money you have. I can wear boots and breeches, AND groom and tack up my own horse, without getting dirty. If I muck first and ride later, I can always change from jeans into breeches and boots if necessary. In my mind, a photo op makes it necessary. Why WOULDN'T you want to look as professional as possible in your pictures? Especially if you might send one to GM? That's the part I don't get.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why WOULDN'T you want to look as professional as possible in your pictures? Especially if you might send one to GM? That's the part I don't get. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone who has read jumping clinic knows that GM likes riders who send in pictures to be show quality clean or cleaner. Sure cleanliness has nothing to do with who you ride but it has a lot to do with what people think of you. And what is the saying that first impressions are hard to break or somehting to that effect.

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

For the benefit of OJ, and other juniors who may be unaware of George Morris' accomplishments throughout his long and illustrious career, I'm posting biographical information from the USET website:

"George Morris conquered a childhood fear of horses to become a world-renowned hunter and jumper instructor, and is considered to be one of the most influential trainers in the history of equestrian sports. A rider with a long list of impressive wins himself, Morris first caught the attention of the equestrian world when in 1952 he
    won both the AHSA Hunter Seat Medal Final and the ASPCA Maclay Final -- the two most prestigious junior equitation titles in the country -- at the age of 14, the youngest rider ever to do so.

He went on to represent the U.S. as a member of the Gold Medal-winning USET squad at the 1959 Pan
    American Games and the Silver Medal-winning U.S. team at the 1960 Rome Olympics. Between 1958 and
    1960, he rode on eight winning Nations Cup teams, and in later years, has served as Chef d'equipe for numerous nations Cup teams as well. Since 1978, Morris has been a USET Director, and a member of the USET Executive and Show Jumping Committees. In 1988, Morris won the biggest purse in Show Jumping history while competing on Rio at Spruce Meadows, Canada.

In 1963, Morris began training junior equitation riders. Morris' former students include some of today's top Grandprix riders, including: Leslie Burr Howard, Norman Dello Joio, the Leone brothers, Chris Kappler and Katie Prudent. At the 1984 Olympics, the Gold Medal-winning team included three former Morris students: Conrad
    Homfeld, Leslie Burr Howard, and Melanie Smith-Taylor, while the 1992 team had Morris students Lisa Jacquin, Anne Kursinski and Dello Joio. In 1996, Morris was assistant chef d'equipe of the USET's Silver Medal Olympic team, whose four riders included three former Morris students: Burr Howard, Kursinski and Peter Leone. In 1999, Morris served as Show Jumping Co-Chef d'Equipe for the Pan American Games in Winnipeg, Canada where the U.S. won team and individual Silver Medals.

A well-known author, Morris' first book 'Hunter Seat Equitation' has sold over 40,000 copies. A second book, 'George H. Morris Teaches Beginners to Ride' has also been highly in demand. His newest book, 'The American Jumping Style'has been equally well received. Morris has also branched out into the world of video with 'The Science of Riding' which describes his approach to riding and teaching.

Morris currently serves as a Director for the AHSA; President of the Show Jumping Hall of Fame; Vice President of the American Grandprix Association; and Director of the National Horse Show Association. He holds a Registered Judges License in the Hunter, Hunter Breeding, Jumper and Hunter Seat Equitation divisions".

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

[This message was edited by dublin on Nov. 18, 2001 at 11:34 PM.]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

You are my new hero! Thank you for posting what (I am sure) many of us are thinking.

There is no crying in baseball!!!

I've found it easier to just skip some posts, they are so unorganized and full of mistakes that they are impossible to read anyway.

Didn't realize that GM was afraid of horses! Wonder what in the world made him want to ride so much?

Use the Force.

Like Flash, I didn't know GM was ever afraid of horses. Wow, did he ever take on that fear in a big way. It makes me respect him more to learn that things haven't always come easily to him.

Don't let yourself feel insulted or prideful when you hear advice that is critical and don't always be on the defensive towards trainers like George Morris who tell it like it is. After all why pay all the money and spend the time and effort to be babied and treated like a porclein doll? This is a tough sport and requires a tough trainer/mentor to be successful. Of course you build a relationship with your trainer which hopefully leads to them having a compassioante interest in you ,but the best ones do not play games and bolster your ego falsely if they really care about your riding. It is the only way to get better and better, to be told how it is...not how you want it to be...if you listen and take what you can..it will truly be how you want it to be in the long run.

Best of luck to you, How is your horse doing now? Sorry I skipped a lot of the posts.

And you would be very surprised who posts on this BB.

Cheers
    "m"
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

I noticed in the most recent Chronicle that GM was putting out the call for aspiring professionals to come under his tutelage (text-only display ad). Applicants must have their own horse, and the ability to "carry" its expenses as the relationship ensues.

Now, barring hitting the lottery, there's no way I'd ever have that kind of money (if you need a visual, think Wayne's World ... "We're not worthy!!"). But I can dream! And to give that dream some sobering perspective, I'm wondering what those who are familiar with the GM rigors would estimate as the cost for one year in the inner circle, sky's the limit. Any estimates?

You don't need a horse to "canter!"

Now, how exactly does he think that a groom (that is not getting paid) is going to support themselves, their TOP 'A' HORSE, and actually find a way to live? Sorry, we cant all live off the parentals...
    Oh, yah, and my horse was put down, dont want to talk about it anymore.
    And another thing, what ever happened to opinion. It's my opinion, I dont like the guy. Should you care? I wasnt asking you to drowned my in insults. I dont recall insulting you guys intill you were blue in the face! You guys tell me not to diss BBer's <please can someone tell me exactly what that is lol> but what are you guys doing, you guys are doing exactly what you are telling me not to do!! and,i didnt exactly mean, PLEASE TELL ME WHY I AM WRONG ABOUT WHAT I AM SAYING!! I wanted to know what your opnions on the man were. Practically no one on this board knows me, for all you know i could be horse next whatever but i am trying to say, treat others the way you would like to be treated,
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by ObiliviousJumper87 on Nov. 19, 2001 at 03:38 PM.]

sbt78lw, so sorry to hear about the Cushings. How long had your mare had it before you had to put her down?

Which SoCal BBers are going to the George clinic at The Oaks? If it is as cold as it was last year, we could huddle together.

And don't forget the cushions. My butt still aches at the thought of the cold metal bleachers.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by findeight:
    George Morris or his Hunterdon partners Cris Kappler and Jeff Cook do not allow any gimmicks at their clinics. Since they represent or are themselves the best international caliber riders in the country and have over 50 years experience in turning out international caliber winners we should follow their lead.
    From Allergy Valley USA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wholeheartedly agree.....the "gadgets" are unnecessary evils. Many serve only as a crutch, horse will never be correctly connected on his own. I find Hunterdon to be the example for all to follow as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
    Didn't realize that GM was afraid of horses! Wonder what in the world made him want to ride so much?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it was a "challenge" thing! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] Yeah, he apparently was deathly afraid of horses when he was little....something about his (older) sister used to put him on the neighbor's pony, who would constantly toss little George off.

If you get a chance to watch "The Science of Riding" video, you'll see short interviews with George's early teachers at Ox Ridge. Gorden Wright chuckled and said that little George didn't show much talent the first time he saw him; balance was off, one heel wouldn't stay down, etc. He even suggested to Mrs. Morris that perhaps little George should take up swimming or tennis, but the next day, George was there....no double he was just as determined and dedicated then. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer