The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

i said that i dont like that fact that he is so nit picky. actually i have never sent in a pic and i never plan to.. but anyways maybe when i am all braided up for a <gasp> hunter show i may consider it. I have respect for the guy. you guys have taken it out of proportion by far... i just have read his articles and he has some really good points. but like i remember that one issue where he totally bashed this kid with this white pony and they both looked like gross but anyways, my old horse matt would absolutely fly around the ring with his tounge out but i mean who cares. anyways sorry i cant CORRECT MY TYPING i am at school and dont have enough time lol off to gym people!

Corie Corie
    Not all men are annoying... some are dead

CluesGirl, if you like your cross-country picture (and it sounds like you do) then I think you should send it in. I doubt there would be a problem with the magazine using it or George critiquing it. There are x-c pictures in his column fairly often.

You just need to be prepared for George making comments about your "colorful eventing garb" and the "casual turnout that eventers seem to prefer!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    \"So shines a good deed in a weary world\" - Willy Wonka

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I have never sent in a photo because mine are all black and white [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    But I have read on here that people who have been in PH sent their photos in years before publication in the magazine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

George is tough - no doubt about that. But when I was a kid (way back when) on LI he used to teach occassionally at a barn where I rode. I used to watch him teach a lesson which I guess was a big no-no, either he or the stable owners didn't like people hanging on the rail. I was just a very little person and in the middle of a lesson he was giving I was trying to watch him(I really did not know much about anything then and probably know less now!). Anyway, he came over to the rail and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was watching his lesson and he asked why. I told him I wanted to learn and he very graciously invited me into the middle of the ring with him and sat me on a barrel and said "Now you can see better."
    After the lesson, in front of the barn owners he said "You can come to the middle with me any time you want."
    So to a tender young heart, he will always remain a riding hero and gallant gentleman. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Vermont - where winter riders are real riders.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lmlacross:
    does anyone have any information on the Hunterdon clinic this month in Lake Forest, IL? Where is it being held, and must one pay as an "audit" in order to watch the mounted portions?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

November 23-25th, Brookwood Farm, Lake Forest IL
    contact Diane Carney at 847.888.7696

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

What a nice memory. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I sent my picture in seven years ago, and they just got around to publishing it last August....ha! I think in that seven years GM went through the mellow stage and I got some good comments, my barn laughs at how he noticed I had a rather short leg...HELLO!!! And how the horse would never be an athlete (after winning EQ classes, hunter trials, Gladstone combined event, novice level, ) But the guy gets ONE measley picture, I was amazed at how he noticed the horse twists to the left (WOW< I thought, how could he see that???)

Unfortunately for Oblivious, you are seriously outnumbered by those who respect, revere, and honor a true horseman.

Thanks for the information on the Lake Forest clinic- much appreciated!

Cluesgirl- you're from the South Shore. I grew up in Duxbury, graduated DHS '97. Do you ride with Annie? I'd send the photo- bearing in mind that it will likely take years to get in (he receives so many). Lately, he's toned down his eventing turnout jabs to something more like "turnout is neat and proper for eventing". I happen to like that feature a lot-- I always read it first when my PH arrives!

LML

Some years ago we did send a photo of my daughter to PH. I think it took about 3 years for it to get in the magazine. My impression is that they use EVERY photo, and the wait is long because of that. We were amazed that from looking at ONE PHOTO GM was right on the money about the horse my daughter was riding--his recommendations were correct & you would not have expected them to come from such a small basis. I think he is very perceptive & he really studies those pictures. He was kind in what he said about my daughter's riding--perhaps he was having a mellow day.

I'd LOVE to see GM critique for his next column is the last 3 jumping shots from the cover of Practical Horseman. Talk about pinching with your knees, lower legs slipping back, ducking to the left, and dirty tack and square saddle pads!

I know it would never happen, but if it could happen, it would be EXTREMELY interesting reading, and I'd pay money to see some of the temper tantrums that would follow.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Helen

[This message was edited by HelenD on Nov. 15, 2001 at 11:23 AM.]
    (S)He doth nothing but talk of his horses.
    ~William Shakespeare

Great story Remi!! Thanks for sharing that! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*Go Bruins*

Awww... Remi, that's a great story.

marion

"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."
    ~ Galloway Gypsy Proverb
    marion

\"The judge didn\'t happen to hurl his pen over his shoulder at that moment did he?\"

I was really offended by G.M.'s recent critique of that pic in P.H. where someone in jeans and chaps was jumping a horse over a stone wall. I wanted to hear what he thought about the rider's position, not what he thought about chaps.

"where someone in jeans and chaps was jumping a horse over a stone wall. I wanted to hear what he thought about the rider's position, not what he thought about chaps."

Yes, but how many times does GM write something along the line that he expects a rider in pictures sent to him to be dressed in "appropiate" clothes. ( I.E. tall boots and a tucked in polo is the least the man is expecting!)

*Jenno*
    "The man who makes no mistakes lacks boldness and the spirit of adventure. He is the one who never tries anything. His is the brake on the wheel of progress. And yet it cannot be truly said he makes no mistakes, because his biggest mistake is the very fact that he tries nothing, does nothing, except criticize those who do things." David S.
    http://hometown.aol.com/pithegr8t
    "Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is." Sir Winston Churchhill

Is it not obvious that the poster was looking to stir up the proverbial pot?

hmmmmm....here's the process...state something bound to raise the hackles of most people on the board....wait for them to take the bait...and sit back and enjoy the flurry of controversy. It's tiresome. Next week someone will pick on dressage or eventing and stir up their "pots"

I don't ride with Annie...but do know her.

Everyone else.....I don't think I want to wait YEARS....LOL....how will I ever improve at that rate!!??

Guess I'll just have to scan the pictures in and hope that some of you will lend an opinion! I will critique it myself first....give me a few days.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future!" - Niels Bohr

how is appearance on someone going to help YOU that whole page should some how reflect n how YOU can improve... you know what, i frankley dont care if i am out numbered. I am not going to go with the flow sorry <this goes to whoever siad i was outnumbered..> i am not one to go with what every is the flavor of the week

Corie Corie
    Not all men are annoying... some are dead

GM is hardly the 'flavor of the week'.

As someone else pointed out, GM is a perfectionist and compares everyone he trains to the ideal. No, we can't all be perfect, but if we don't strive to be, how can we hope to improve?

I would love to have some lessons with him! I work my butt off to ride my best, and work to make my riding the best it could possible be for whatever horse I am on. I don't really show in the equitation anymore, but I can tell you that position is as important (Actually, more important) in the jumeprs than it is in equitation. Sure, in the eq ring, you are judged on your position, but if you have a little flaw (say your shoulders aren't back far enough in front of the jump...not jumping ahead, just not far engouh back), your horse will most-likely have no problem jumping that little jump. BUT, if your shoulders are not back in front of say... a 4'6" suare oxer, it could very well result in a rail. So, anywhoo...I would love to have him kick my butt, who WOULD NOT want to learn from a MAster?

And I agree on the unbuttoned collars....I can't stand that! With my trainer, you are either in your huntcoat (with choker), or you are in a nice polo. I am proud to say that she is very picky about that! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~~Kate~~

"I love to get home after a long day and go to sleep late. I love to wake up before the sun. I love to spend the day in the sun, with it's rays warming my skin. I love the mist of the cold hose. I love not being able to feel my fingers and toes in the winter. I love to stand on the hill, letting a friend graze in a warm wind. I love the smell of that wonderful place...I live to ride, and I ride to live."
    --------------------------
    I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
    -- John Keats