The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Remi and me:
    So to a tender young heart, he will always remain a riding hero and gallant gentleman. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And he will remain that way for me too, always. I love your story about him, he has always had class. Because life is short, I hope he knows that there are many out there who have the utmost respect for him.

Sorry! But I just HAVE to comment to "ObiliviousJumper87" .... in regard to not having time to check spelling due to be a student. Is spelling no longer required in school/college these days? As a member of the over the hill crowd with many years in corporate Human Resources, you'd best learn to spell when it's time to write a resume and apply for a job.

AND, you might want to consult Mr. Webster to see if you've spelled your User Name correctly.

Remi

Your story was great and brought back a fabulous memory for me.

As a child I had two ponies that my mother would truck from PA to NJ for lessons with Frank and Bill, when they were still at Hunterdon. She would also bring her 1st year horse for a school with George. As my mother grew up in eventing, I am sure George had plenty to say, but she also rode with Col. Russell, so it was probably nothing new [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, at one lesson, my terror of a small got loose and ran around the developement around the barn. In the middle of the winter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

After we finally caught him, I had missed my lesson with Frank and Bill and their next was already one was already there. At 8 years old, having grown up in a barn, I understood, but was still upset. George, who had helped to catch the rotten beast said he would give me my lesson as we was free.

I can't say that I remember much from the lesson, but I do remember him taking the time because I WANTED to learn.

Later on I found out how he never helped pony kids.

Moral of the story: he might be difficult, but many of us would pay for that opinion, including myself. I only wish that I had been older when I got my chance, but it still gives me a good memory.

And there is nothing that anyone can say that will take away the accomplishments he has achieved or the impact he has had on the industry. Many may not agree with his practices, but that is your opinion.

but i am usually posting on this board in the mornings before school. I dont have time to piddle around with useless stuff. I am an extremely smart kid. i have taken the sats, acutally it was in 7th grade and i score higher than most high school students do so please lets not go into education. so its all good! ahhh life is good

Corie Corie
    Not all men are annoying... some are dead

I think many of us understand the point of your original post, but come on, you HAD to have known you would make some people frazzled from it.

Education is taught, ignorance is learned. Try not being so rude in your thoughts about GM.

*Jenno*
    "The man who makes no mistakes lacks boldness and the spirit of adventure. He is the one who never tries anything. His is the brake on the wheel of progress. And yet it cannot be truly said he makes no mistakes, because his biggest mistake is the very fact that he tries nothing, does nothing, except criticize those who do things." David S.
    http://hometown.aol.com/pithegr8t
    "Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is." Sir Winston Churchhill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ObiliviousJumper87:
    i am usually posting on this board in the mornings before school. I dont have time to piddle around with useless stuff.
    Corie Corie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's your attitude toward the people you share this board with, frankly I don't understand why you spend your valuable time posting here at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CluesGirl:
    I have a great picture I would like to send in, but it is a XC picture, i.e. no braids, a little
    unkempt if you know what I mean?

My horse's form is lovely and it's one of the better ones I've seen of me...should I go for it? Or save my time because it will never get in?

I am not scared of getting blasted for poor turnout....but I wonder if GM will even consider it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would send it in! The only problem is if you'll be a much better rider in 5 years and when the picture is finally printed, you'll be completely embarassed that you ever looked like that! LOL! Also, I'm sure he will consider it. I've seen pictures in there that SCARE me (horse jumping super high over a fence with rider hanging on with arms completely around his neck, riders left way begind YANKING on the horse's mouth, people riding in t-shirt, chaps, no hairnet or even ponytail...) so I wouldn't be worried!

Also, in the last couple issue I read, he wasn't as picky as normal about the turnout. He still complained, but it didn't seem as important. However, I haven't read the MOST recent issues, so I may be wrong.

-Caroline
    "If I go crazy then will you still call me SUPERPONY!"
    -Caroline
    \"If I go crazy then will you still call me SUPERPONY!\"

gosh..who else in the horse world could have TWO (yes TWO) threads going at the same time..and probably has ALWAYS been mentioned in one thread or another since the first time there were boards like these to post on...?

I can still remember the first time I saw him at the old Madison Square Garden...he was explaining to some parents eggggzackly what their daughter would need to be competitive..I had never heard such amounts of money mentioned in the same breath as horses!

No matter what the negatives one might say about him, he stands for much that is good and right and important in the world of horses.

cheers
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

I used to work for PH as a entry level editor. Believe me. They DO NOT put in every picture. Nor do they answer every "help me" question. I wrote an article on the various "therapeutic" saddle pads, breed roster of registries, and the Catch 22 article, among other columns.

Catch 22 Article
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Donning Hermes flame suit...

ObiliviousJumper -

It's attitudes like yours that are largely responsible for the general lack of respect that seemingly pervades this sport. You don't like that GM holds the bar high? You don't appreciate appropriate attire and the FACT that a solid base of support/good position ensures better safety & security? You are satisfied with just "getting over" the jump? My, my...your name must be an accurate reflection of the state of things in the microcosm in which you live.

I'm just curious to know why his standards bother you? Is it too much to ask that a rider be neat & tidy and a horse reflect appropriate care, feeding & grooming?

What type of critique do you suppose your horse would give you after having "just gotten" over a jump or two? Were your hands quiet and following; your base of support strong? Or did you forget to release and hang in the beastie's mouth and then smack him in the back with your rear on the backside of the fence? Was he disctracted by the grunge trapped between the tack and his skin because he only had the dirt knocked off of him before getting "schooled"?

Any job worth doing is worth doing well.

There is no crying in baseball!!!

you beat me to it! Her screen name seems to be a reflection of her knowledge of the importance of what George teaches, both in riding and turn-out.

Why would anyone not want to be the best they could be, and that is different for everyone, in everything they do, including posting in clear, legible, understandable sentences. I have posted before about the abominable spelling and grammar seen on some threads posted by juniors. It IS important to be able to understood, and taken seriously, and your writing is the only way for that to happen on these boards. If you choose not to use caps, so be it, but you can certainly spell and use comprehensible sentences. (Rant off)!

As for George, his list of students, present and past, reads like a who's who of the horse world. He knows how to get his point across and has more to offer than nearly anyone I can think of. A chance to learn from him, in any format, should be welcomed and sought after.

Laurie
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Is there any other explanation?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ObiliviousJumper87:

i am usually posting on this board in the mornings before school. I dont have time to piddle around with useless stuff.
    Corie Corie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, this explains it all. You don't want to be criticized about anything. You feel that you are too important, as is your time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

If you feel that proof reading your posts to make them easier to read and understand is "piddling around with useless stuff," you have no respect for those on this board, and ultimately, none for yourself. Obviously, you don't care if anyone understands the point you're trying to make.

You know, no one would be able to guess you're as smart as you think you are from your poorly written rant and follow-up posts.

BTW, what is an Obilivious? The least you could do is get the spelling right in your name. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

You can disagree with her, but DO NOT ATTACK the poster!

To digress a little - I have an OLD friend who was discussed, dissed, analyzed, and basically taken to the cleaners on these boards a year or two ago. I saw her recently, found out she has email, and (momentarily forgetting) asked her if she read the BB's - She looked VERY hurt and sad and sort of said "I don't really go there." It really struck me that for all the good we have done in these boards, we can also do great harm.

You can discuss your issues with GM (or anyone else fot that matter), but do not carry it personally - either about him or about someone who doesn't like him. You make a better argument for a person with stories like the nice ones told above than by mocking the originator of the thread.

At least she admitted she was venting.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Okay, first of all, to whoever wrote, "I've seen horrible pictures of people riding in T-shirts, chaps, without a hairnet or even a ponytai," I'm sorry but I just laughed. I am guilty of all four sins when I ride, and most of the time I don't think it matters. But if I were to send a picture in to PH for a critique I would absolutely put on a pair of breeches and boots, just to show respect for a living legend.

And in defense of my generation, we're not all horible spellers that don't take the time to proofread. We haven't all lost respect for our elders. Please don't generalize. But obilivious, (lord that was painful to write) is a prime example of how junior riders are getting a bad name. He's George Morris darlin, if anyone has a right to be picky, it is that man.
    You know, if you took this jello, put it in a mold and froze it, you could be like look....an emerald. Dude, I'd kick some guys ass he ever tried to give me a jello ring.

I think ObJu was referring to the spell check as the useless stuff.

Use the Force.

alexsian24 Guest

Personally i think that george morris is a great teacher. He isn't afraid to say what's wrong, he can dish it out, and now you have to learn to take it. i'll admit some of the things is says are a little over the top, like the weight issue. Overall, though, george is good at what he, does, if he wasn't we all wouldn't be talking about him. So just get over yourself and move on!

**disclaimer: before anyone flips about not proofreading, i just want to say that i am in a computer class, off task (like usually), and if i get caught on the internet, i get my user tag taken away, so im sorta rushing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] **

ok, yes, i do event, and i love every minute of it, and one of the reasons i quit hunters is because it was so nit-picky...BUT i just want to say that george morris is soooo RIGHT! all his preaching about good position and good basis and foundation is so true, even in eventing!

i grew up hunters and equitation, and i wouldnt be able to survive on some cross country courses if it werent for a george morris style training. (i do still have a thing for equitation...but thats another thread...eventers gone equitation [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

so anyways, what im trying to get to, is that, even though he may seem annoying, arrogant, picky, blah blah blah, he is right. im one of the kids who ONLY buys PH just to read his jumping clinic. (and the occasional eventing articles)

and another thing, all that he preaches about horsemanship, sportsmanship, you name it....its all true too. i was at a young riders clinic one time, and one of the trainers printed out an article (from COTH) about GM's rules on horsemanship. i swear, it brought tears to my eyes. i know it must be hard on him to go to all these big hunter shows and see all these little kids who have no respect for their ponies or for their ribbons, and still preach about good horsemanship. i know it would be hard for me. i looked up that article and printed it out just for me so that everytime i go to a horse show, i can remind myself that the little rants that those kids go off on is not what people like to see.

so obliviousjumper, GM is entitled to speak his opinion on how you should look, just as you can write what you think about him on this board.

sara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

...not bad for a chick in breeches.
    Eventers can do it for 3 days.

About the s/n that refers to jumpers, its an inside joke and i think you guys need to not assume things. I am saying i dont care ifmy position is NOT PERFECT over the jump meanin that if the turn out of my toe is1 freakin degree off you think id care? and come on i kno not ALL of you guys go out to the barn in a polo and breeches everyday. your kinda out there if you ride every day like that, sorry but id go insane in spandex everyday. everyone is entitled to their own opinion, have you guys forgotten that? its my opinion that hes to picky with every. My horses are no less than in perfect health. No lameness or sickness problems here! never had and hopefully never will. i take care of them so how ever asked a ? along that line theres your answer. Attitude? thats nice that your so shallow to judge people by the internet you have no clue what my tone is. i am fairly easy going, maybe its you making me sound like i have an attitude, dunno. instead of jumping to conclusions maybe you should.......perhaps.... ask me to clarify... and yes i am very aware that Oblivious is spelled wrong. I spelled it wrong on one message board so i just kept doing it like that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Corie Corie

when i say that i dont have time to piddle around, heres my clarification.... lindsay and i are constantly going to tutoring for math <gag me> and when we run up to the library we have to be quick in order to get the most help possible. so i cant sit there and worry about my typos. i dont think you guys are illiterate so i would hope you could figure out some words...

Corie Corie