The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This I just had a moment!

I thought I would post this here because you all may understand this. I have been taking dressage lessons on my young horse, and I do low level eventing and jumping, so have never really focused on the dressage.

So, during my lessons, I feel like a contortionist - trying to tip my pelvis up, tuck my butt under, push out my stomach, stretch my legs back and long, shoulders back and down - geez, just remembering what goes where had me tense and exhausted - not to mention feeling like a dork, total beginner. I have ridden a loooong time, just in my jumping saddle, mostly in 2 point.

I was practicing today for our event derby this weekend, and all of a sudden, I realized my horse seemed to be very steady, soft, float-y, almost. Then I became aware of what I felt - I was relaxed, all the above parts seemed to be where they should, my legs were moving against his sides evenly each stride and I felt like he was up under me! I think I get it. It felt great, he seemed happy to go along softly, and I didn't know quite what to do.

I stopped, walked, then trotted again, and it happened twice - with conscious thought behind it. Anyway, I wanted to share with people who might understand. I always thought that if I decided to ''do' dressage, it would just be a switch of tack, boy was I wrong. Anyway, thanks for listening. Hopefully, I can duplicate it this weekend at the show with nerves and atmosphere!!!

You had an epiphany! Awesome, now you'll have that tape to play in your head. When you sit right and less is best a whole lot happens!

I remember my moment. Riding in the indoor one winter on a very quick catty OTTB, the one that the clinician would yell 'more forward' to get relaxation and I did not know if I could sit that! More forward on that horse was like launching a rocket. Then I tried it (when no one was looking ) - not a sole got to witness what I felt. His back came up, my hips relaxed, my leg came back, my shoulders straight, my elbows soft and his ears came back and airplaned! flopping relaxed in a rhythm with his trot. It felt like we were dancing.

Good luck this weekend! Just let it happen.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Thanks for sharing that. I'm really hoping to feel it one day!!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I know that moment and the feeling and it still seems elusive for me. I have a old country Trakahner with a very long back and neck. I had no legs, no seat, no core when I started riding (and riding her). I remember the day when it clicked. In this one moment I went from being launched off her back on each post to this amazing spring. In part it must have been that I was tired of being tight so I just relaxed; when I did her whole frame changes and I got to feel what a 2/3 level dressage horse can do. a few years later it comes better, but I still struggle with the ability to just ...relax. Thank you for sharing and mayhap that will stay in my head when I ride today.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycher View Post
    I thought I would post this here because you all may understand this. I have been taking dressage lessons on my young horse, and I do low level eventing and jumping, so have never really focused on the dressage.

So, during my lessons, I feel like a contortionist - trying to tip my pelvis up, tuck my butt under, push out my stomach, stretch my legs back and long, shoulders back and down - geez, just remembering what goes where had me tense and exhausted - not to mention feeling like a dork, total beginner. I have ridden a loooong time, just in my jumping saddle, mostly in 2 point.

I was practicing today for our event derby this weekend, and all of a sudden, I realized my horse seemed to be very steady, soft, float-y, almost. Then I became aware of what I felt - I was relaxed, all the above parts seemed to be where they should, my legs were moving against his sides evenly each stride and I felt like he was up under me! I think I get it. It felt great, he seemed happy to go along softly, and I didn't know quite what to do.

I stopped, walked, then trotted again, and it happened twice - with conscious thought behind it. Anyway, I wanted to share with people who might understand. I always thought that if I decided to ''do' dressage, it would just be a switch of tack, boy was I wrong. Anyway, thanks for listening. Hopefully, I can duplicate it this weekend at the show with nerves and atmosphere!!!
    awesome! I could have written the same post above, myself, as I'm currently going through the same thing. Like you, I've been riding for years, and just recently had someone kindly point out what was holding me back, in terms of a "correct" position. I've only had fleeting moments of it, but now I "know" it, I don't want to go back to the "old/wrong" way. For me, just riding more will help, too. Congrats!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Yes, Thank You for sharing! We all speak the same "language" here in horse-world. I also had one of these "Aha!" moments with my 4 yo greenie last night. There is no better feeling than that moment where there is new communication established between you and your mount and you know your hard work is paying off! I know to anyone else I would have looked like a complete lunatic grinning from ear to ear during my ride! Congrats!

I so understand and hope to feel how you felt!

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

It is such magic moments that keep us all going when the horse is being a pig, the weather is foul and any riding skill seems to have gone backwards.

My best ever magic moment was galloping along the top of Exmoor, for miles, on a horse who was really having fun. In perfect position, complete balance and it felt just like flying, weightless. That was about 25 years ago and I can still feel it. But then, the first time a baby understands how to do some lateral steps, that is pretty cool...