The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

check out the 4 'Weight Issue' threads that are in the Favorites Forum down in Archives .... some good stuff in those discussions too
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

QUOTE]Originally posted by RedEqHunter:
    Weight never really used to be a concern for me until I went on Prednisone. Now I have to be VERY careful, or the pounds just start pouring on. [/QUOTE]

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've never been skinny, but I've always been athletic and muscled. Since I was put on Bromocryptine (I spelled that way wrong) it's always been a struggle. Add that to the fact that I'm hypothyroidic and on Synthroid for that...well let's just say I have to eat selectively.

I'm 5'8", and 150. I am considered a large frame, but stay under my max weight for the Air Force (164 lbs)

I've never felt pressure to be thinner than I am for riding...but then I was never one to respond to peer pressure on anything... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"I love deadlines." "I love the swooooshing sound they make as they fly by!" -Douglas Adams
    - Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

I have to agree that being thin isn't all it is cracked up to be! I am almost 15 and am 5'6-7" and weigh almost 100 pounds. I have a very high metabolism also that allows me to eat just about anything i want to and not gain a pound. I drink Ensures/Boosts everyday. It is sooo hard to find clothes that fit!! And everyone at school gives me such a hard time "oh you're so little/skinny!"
    and practically everyone thinks i'm anerexic (sp?) i think everyone should just be happy with the way they look!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Claire~
    "The more I study, the more I know. The more I know, the more I forget. The more I forget, the less I know. So why study?"
    Claire
    \"You can\'t hava da Mango!\"

I LOFF ya'll. I guess I don't really want to lose more weight (although that would be alright [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) but instead, get more muscle and eat healther (says she who is munching on chips and queso right now).

Thanks SoEasy for pointing out those threads, I've never taken the time to sit down and read them, I think now I will.

But can I get some of ya'll to elaborate a bit? You say "Well, just be happy with yourself". But thats much easier said then done! How do ya'll really get that frame of mind, you know, where you ARE happy with yourself? It's kinda hard to mantain that "I'm perfect the way I am, and I look great" attidude when you are already suffering from show ring jitters, and you look around at your competition and *Gulp*, you are heavier then everyone else. You know?

* B E L E N *
    *Larks Caruso* / *Every So Often*
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends!
    ---> *My New Page* <--- (10/31- Updated!)
    Belen
    http://community.webshots.com/user/lovingit09
    \"I\'m looking for a dare to be great situation\"- John Cusack

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goobergurl21:
    I have to agree that being thin isn't all it is cracked up to be! I am almost 15 and am 5'6-7" and weigh almost 100 pounds. I have a very high metabolism also that allows me to eat just about anything i want to and not gain a pound. I drink Ensures/Boosts everyday. It is sooo hard to find clothes that fit!! And everyone at school gives me such a hard time "oh you're so little/skinny!"
    and practically everyone thinks i'm anerexic (sp?) i think everyone should just be happy with the way they look!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Claire~
    "The more I study, the more I know. The more I know, the more I forget. The more I forget, the less I know. So why study?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah. i know how you feel. i'm about 5"4 and 100 pounds. the only thing is: i eat constantly. even on jewish holidays when i'm supposed to just skip breakfast, i never do, and i don't think i ever will. i've always loved my food!!! i just can't gain any weight!! oh, and one fact to remember: Muscle weighs more than fat.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

I deal with this, but not in competition (I don't show). Many of the girls at the barn are very thin, and then there are also others that are more like me, and some that are bigger than me! I think I weigh more than I should, but I am very muscley and have no problem riding horses because of it. I can even ride the big forehanded pullers and keep them bumped up [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Yes, I would love to be skinny (or at least trim [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] ) but I'm OK with the way I am. I've tried to lose weight on occasion, but I usually plateau after 5 or 6 pounds, which discourages me. However, I eat well (most of the time), avoid junk food, ride twice a week (or more if I get the opportunity), and walk EVERYWHERE. I probably walk between two and four miles a day, depending on what I need to do. I also make myself take the stairs, except when I am REALLY wiped out and need to ride the elevator up to the fourth floor [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Anyway, my point is that I am content with how I am, because except for not always being able to wear the clothes I like (I would love 2-way TS, but I like the stretch of the 4-ways, plus I have very muscular calves), it doesn't really cause me any problems.
    It also helps that I have a very supportive boyfriend who constantly lets me know how great I am [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] we also go to the gym together sometimes, which is fun.

*EMMA*

[QUOTE]Originally posted by commodore:
    Here is where the riot part comes in: I don't necessarily think that the people here who weigh 160 should be so satisfied with that. According to the surgeon general's guidelines (although there are several different ones being promulgated) that is overweight. [QUOTE]

Commodore, which surgeon general guidelines are you reading? All the ones I've read state it depends on your height. Someone who is 6' would be spot on at 160lbs. A healthy weight is more accurately determined by your frame size, age, muscle tone, but the general rule of thumb I've heard (for women) is 100 lbs for 5 feet, plus 5 lbs for every inch over that. Then you get a bit more leeway once you hit age 35! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I will agree that being substantially overweight or obese carries great health risks. But being 15 lbs overweight (or even more depending on your height) is hardly "obese."

To answer the question as to how to feel good about yourself, first of all, you probably won't ever feel like you have the "perfect" body. So get rid of the idea that you have to be "perfect." Focus on being healthy. If you feel you need to lose some to be healthy, (and Graciousness, this does not include you--you look just fine kiddo) find a good program. There are lots of threads on various programs out there.

Then start looking at what your body can do that you can be proud of. Working out and seeing progress is a great way to do that. Seeing yourself get in shape and realizing just how long you can run, how much you can lift, etc. really gives you confidence.

I'll never have a model body. I'm not fat, but I have short, stubby legs and a funky kind of shape. But I am proud of several things. For one, I've always been very, very strong. These legs may be stubby! But they're pretty powerful! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Hey, a couple weeks ago we were moving our offices around. A couple guys were waiting for building services to come and move some of their heavy boxes. I can't tell you just how cool it felt to lift up the box, plunk it onto the desk and say "there ya' go!"

(Now I've just gotta work on those non-existant abs! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] )

[This message was edited by dogchushu on Nov. 03, 2002 at 05:08 PM.]

Some really sensible posts- it sounds like a lot of you have a much healthier outlook than the general public.

I am 5'3'', and weigh 133. About a year and a half ago, I started working out, and though I haven't lost (or gained) any weight, I have gained a lot of muscle. I look better (down 3 inches on my hips, and an inch and a half on each thigh, arms 1" bigger and no flab), feel great, and my riding has improved quite a bit. I have noticed I have a lot more body control- if my balance is off, I can correct it much more easily, I can bear down with my abs for half-halting, and it takes awhile for me to get winded. Of course, I did not stretch for a long time, and my leg started to get "shorter" in the saddle. A few stretches added to the program have helped a lot, but I'm still working on this.

I've heard it's not good to get too muscle bound, but a general fitness program has worked wonders, and I'm told I look pretty good, too! All that to say, most of us are probably ok at our present weight, but a little fitness work can go a long way. HOWEVER, we can all do only so much, and if a fitness program does not fit your life right now, don't worry, maybe it will later- keep it in mind.

And there are almost as many health risks to being underweight as there are being overweight, and that goes for non-anorexics!

I'm 5'11" and 130lbs, and I should totally weigh about 20 more lbs than I do. There's not much power in these stick legs of mine! I think it's much more important to be happy w/ your body than to try to fit into what the "ideal" is. And it is certainly possible to be overweight and be a much more healthy and fit person than someone at the "perfect" weight. My husband is a bit overweight and has asthma and yet he's still fitter than I am!!How silly is that? If I had the choice of being a bit overweight and fit or out of shape and stick thin, I'd go w/ the overweight - the benefits of being a fit person outweigh the risks of being overweight.

No idea where I was trying to go w/ this, but felt the need to say something. I studied Psych in college and did a lot of eating disorder/body dysmorphic research and am really scared for girls in today's society.

Member of the drafties/drafties X clique!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But can I get some of ya'll to elaborate a bit? You say "Well, just be happy with yourself". But thats much easier said then done! How do ya'll really get that frame of mind, you know, where you ARE happy with yourself? It's kinda hard to mantain that "I'm perfect the way I am, and I look great" attidude when you are already suffering from show ring jitters, and you look around at your competition and *Gulp*, you are heavier then everyone else. You know? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. Yeah...

Actually, truthfully, I know it's easier said than done. It just seems like the thing to say since ideally, we'd ALL be happy with ourselves. And there are days when that just isn't possible. As most people know, I'm not riding right now, but I am CONSTANTLY looking at other girls my age and comparing them to myself. How come her hair is so much nicer than mine? Wow, her eyes are really blue. Gosh, her nose is perfect. I'd kill for freckles like that. It goes on and on and on and quite frankly, it gets exhausting. There are times when I don't even like to look people in the face because I don't feel like my looks live up to their standards. Like maybe they're ASKING me about the algebra assignment but they really just called me over to laugh at me.

So yeah. It's not always possible to be happy with yourself. Just remember that you are your own toughest critic and that everyone's perception of their own selves is warped, in a way. You don't see what's really there (be it your weight or your eyes or your hair), but what you're tired of seeing and want to change. In other words, while you're sitting ringside worrying about your weight, there's probably someone walking by you beating herself up about how short she is and wishing she were 5'9! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So basically, if you can't be happy with yourself all the time, just realize that most likely everyone else thinks you're just fine the way you are- and at one point or another has possibly wished to be you. C'est la vie.

~Erin B #1
    Beware the chickens, for in their silence, they plot.

Where you never know what the weather will be--Kansas!!!

Ever since I went to college and I don't ride at school--I've gained weight. I eat when I'm unhappy, bored etc its an emotional thing for me that I am trying to break. Horses had always been my emotional release, and now that I don't have that, I find Baked Lays or something instead.

Its bad, I'm like 5'2 but I'm 160 and since I guess according to the surgeon general that is bad? Well you know what I have tried to kick the eating habit, and I've been getting therapy, but until someone can find a magic cure for me to stop eating all the time, this is the body I have and I have to learn to live with. And don't get me started on willpower. If I don't eat when I want to I get grumpy and icky and no one wants to be around me, and than I get depressed so I eat anyways and it is just a very vicious cycle.

"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" --Steven Wright

\"My insurance doesn\'t cover PMS.\" --10 things I hate about you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ErinB:
    Just remember that you are your own toughest critic and that everyone's perception of their own selves is warped, in a way. You don't see what's really there (be it your weight or your eyes or your hair), but what you're tired of seeing and want to change.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very, very well said ErinB!

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun."

I'm really much more concerned with how I am affecting the horse than how I look on it. If it is responding to my signals and we are working together to accomplish tasks like gridwork or courses, I really don't care how nice of a picture I make with it!

Oh, and please don't think that a person's weight affects the horse THAT much. Honestly. With very few exceptions, a horse can carry up to a quarter of its own weight. I certainly weigh less than a quarter of most of the horses I ride! More importantly is how you use your muscles - I hold myself well enough that I don't flop on the saddle or jerk on the reins. Someone who is 50 lbs lighter than me, but doesn't have the experience or the muscles that I have might hurt a horse a lot more than I would.

That said, you won't find me schooling small or medium ponies, but I fit pretty well on the stocky larges here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] (that's what you get for being short!)

*EMMA*

I am 5'8" and about 130-135. That's not that particularly lightweight, right? Well, I have a 27" waist and am a size 6-7.

I have a lot of muscle, from riding and other exercises. Just remember, folks, don't use the scale-- muscle weighs a lot more than fat, and horsepeople in particular tend to have muscle, particularly in their legs, so don't feel bad if you aren't down there in that 110-115 range.

~~ .. and the #1 horse-product that has yet to come out: Caffiene-free Thoroughbreds!~~
    We ride and never worry about the fall ..
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all.
    (Tim McGraw, "The Cowboy in Me")

bubba Guest

Being muscular is one thing, but I look at weight this way:

We would never expect our horses as athletes to preform to their fullest if they were overwight, so why wouldn't we expect the same of ourselves? This also applies to starving oursleves to be ridiculously thin.

As I said earlier, I am 5'9" and I weigh 165 lbs. I have 19% body fat, am very large framed and wear a size 10. The measurement around my rib cage is 36 inches, my wrists are 6 and 1/2 inches, I wear a size 9 and 1/2 shoe. As my mother always told me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img], I am just a big girl!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

This is almost 30 lbs more than I weighed before I had kids. I am approxiamately the same size now as I did before I had kids but I so much fitter now. I power walk 3 miles 5 days a week do free weights and yoga every day, as well as ride dressage. The other day, my husband and I were re-arranging the furniture and I think I freaked him out because I could move things around so easily.

The stats compiled by the surgeon-general are based on the general population (with majority of which are couch spuds). I think if you have a healthy body fat ratio (ie your are fit) it doesn't matter what you weigh.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I'm 5'11'' and weigh about 145. I am by no means "fat," but I can't be honest in saying "I'm satisfied." But, to tell you the truth, I don't think about weight very much anymore. This summer when I had jaw surgery, my mouth was wired shut for three months. I was hungry....oh I was hungry! And during that time I realized that a person should never let themself be hungry when they have food avaliable to them. Most people here don't know what it's like to actually be hungry, and I'm not saying I know like someone would in a poor part of, say Africa or something, but I have a slight idea.

So, I believe you shouldn't just eat junk food, but you know, it's ok to have a piece of candy (or two [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]) every once in a while! And exercise can be fun if you let it be. Who knows, you might meet the man of your dreams on the tredmill!

So, I wouldn't worry too much about you're weight, because if you're blessed with food, take advantage of it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

**Mary**
    Don't hate me cause you ain't me!

**Mary**

I agree with the last poster. Weight DOES NOT matter as much as fitness and body fat percentage, people!

There's a fine balance. You need to be happy with who you are/how you look, but within reason. If you actually do need to get in better shape, then go for it!

I think it's sad that so much emphasis is put on body image...no that Im not guilty of being my own critic, but still.

If you think aobut it, anyone who rides (and shows) has GOT to be fit...or at least getting in better shape. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to do much.

I admit that I wish I were thinner/in better shape (especially when I see thinner riders...no offense to those who are, of course), but I'm working on it. I just try not to go overboard, and therefore am generally happy with myself.

I've noticed that the healthier I eat, and the more I work out, the better I feel about my body.

Just a thought.

Poor CoolRunnings! I remember my parents made me watch Christmas dinner with the family. It was AWFUL. I'll never forgive them for that.

I weighed 105lbs at the end of that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] That didn't last long [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
    Check out my barn's site:
    Centre Equestre de la Houssaye
    *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
    "Je retournerai dans un mois. Galope Cannabis, galope!" -Jamel Debbouze
    ---WHX---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chrissy:
    _I avoid flat classes, becasue they really are just like beauty pagents._

What a funny thing to say, because just today I remarked on how flat classes, on anything but the most well-trained-push-button horses, are HARD. While I agree that jumping generally takes more energy all around, getting a horse in a nice undersaddle frame, at least in my case, takes WORK. TONS of leg that can't be let up for a second, lots of upper body balancing, and supportive yet soft hands (harder than it sounds!). I usually come out of flat classes more winded than any over fences round. JUST IMO.

Beauty pagents? *snort* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Common sense aint so common.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

okay well maybe I should have been more clear, it's in my expeirience that I place better in over fences classes the flat classes, My horse is in no way push button over fences or on the flat. And when in flat classes against the great eq riders in zone 10, being not quite as thin and experienced puts me in the lower end. However I have noticed that I can succeed over fences becasue I can show off my ability a little better.

~Christina~
    "Take most people, they're crazy about cars. I'd rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for god sake."
    -JD Salinger, Catcher in the Rye