The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for the updates. Glad he's doing well. See he finished up midpack yesterday. Will certainly add some interest this year!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

And prior to his Sunday (Jan 13) mounts he's now 3 starts: 1-0-1

Video: victory on Sat 1/12/13 in a Maiden Special Weight aboard "Branding"

Branding, trained by Tom Proctor, was the 4,889th win of Stevens’s career.

With Calvin Borel at 4,999 and Ramon Dominguez at 4,978, I suppose that is one milestone Gary wants to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Branding, trained by Tom Proctor, was the 4,889th win of Stevens’s career.

With Calvin Borel at 4,999 and Ramon Dominguez at 4,978, I suppose that is one milestone Gary wants to break.
    Wow, those are some crazy numbers!

1 members found this post helpful.

Milestone aside, and since Jerry Bailey has the "primo" commentating gig locked up, Gary's got to start making more money. I think he has at least 5 kids
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

So Gary did earn his first winner and had a close second. Not bad.

Per equibase that means - 2013 stats to date

With 8 starts: 1-1-1
    Earnings are: $55,070 ... so if the standard cut applies that means Gary's received about $5,500 less his agent and valet cut.

He's at #23 for the current Santa Anita meet which goes through April 21, 2013. To put that in perspective David Flores, who is well known there, is just a pinch ahead at #22 with having had 27 mounts and 2 winners.

2 members found this post helpful.

In case anyone was wondering how the return is going ....

As of JAN 31, 2013, per Equibase

Rank #18 at the current Santa Anita meet (by mount earnings)
    18 starts with 1-7-1 ($112,800; so maybe taking away $10k thus far)
    6% win percentage
    50% in the money percentage

A curious reference (Jan 31st) with a horse that Gary has been working in the mornings, as noted by Brad Free of the DRF...
    Stevens has worked Strong Suit regularly for his own comeback Saturday, though the horse is entered has European jockey Jamie Spencer named to ride. If for some reason Spencer does not make the trip, no worries. Stevens is open.
    Strong Suit - owned by Qatar Racing Limited and trained by UK-based Richard Hannon - raced once and only in the US (at Churchill) for the Breeders' Cup Mile in 2011, finishing 10th. He went 0 for 5 in 2012, all in England. He's in the Grade 2 (turf) Arcadia Stakes on Saturday at Santa Anita.

It's hard to see the logic or math on this one for Jamie to spend that much time flying from the UK to Cali - unless he wants to work on his tan The total purse is $150k which is paltry for a Grade 2.

Congrats to Gary on Saturday Feb 9th for getting his 3rd victory, first graded stakes win, and adding some bigger bank to his tally ...

Stevens, who resumed riding full-time after a retirement of more than seven years on Jan. 6, won his first stakes since October 2005 when Slim Shadey led throughout the Grade 2 San Marcos Stakes over 1 1/4 miles on turf.
    That last stakes win by Gary was with Rock Hard Ten taking the Goodwood Breeders’ Cup Handicap here in October 2005.

As of the start of Sunday 2-10-2013
    34-starts: 3-11-3

Looks like Gary has quite a few mounts coming up in important races so his agent is certainly keeping him active.

DRF Feb 12, 2013: "Stevens aims to continue stakes streak"

Stevens is booked to ride Great Hot for trainer A.C. Avila in Saturday’s Grade 2 $200,000 Santa Maria Stakes for fillies and mares. Great Hot is a two-time stakes winner who began her career in Brazil.

On Feb. 23 at Fair Grounds, Stevens is booked to ride two major stakes for 3-year-olds – Proud Strike for trainer Steve Asmussen in the $400,000 Risen Star Stakes and Midnight Ballet for Tom Proctor in the $200,000 Rachel Alexandra Stakes.

Gotta give your man props - five horse field in the Grade 2 Santa Maria aboard Great Hot (BRZ) and they're dismissed by the public at 9-1. However blinkers on for the first time, taking the lead and going gate to wire rather easily. Booya for Gary!

2 members found this post helpful.

As of today he's had 42 starts this year, 5/12/4 for a 50% w/p/s record, including the three stakes victories. Glimmer, how does that stack up as a percentage of rides? I realize that he is exercising selectivity with that average of 7 mounts per week; nonetheless it seems a robust percentage of money rides...

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
    As of today he's had 42 starts this year, 5/12/4 for a 50% w/p/s record, including the three stakes victories. Glimmer, how does that stack up as a percentage of rides? I realize that he is exercising selectivity with that average of 7 mounts per week; nonetheless it seems a robust percentage of money rides...
    If you look at jocks with at least 10 starts at the current Santa Anita meet (started @ 12/26/12) as measured by finishes in the money:

Gary is tied for #2 @ 50% a percentage shared with Garrett K. Gomez w/105 starts. (#1 is Rafael Bejarano @ 52% from 163 starts)

In terms of mount earnings [at Santa Anita] Gary Stevens is 10th @ $471,560. By comparison 1st is Rafael Bejarano, by a country mile over everyone else, at $2,139,868.

Another big ride picked up

Stevens gets the mount on Called to Serve in the $750,000 Santa Anita Handicap on March 2.

Called to Serve has won 4 of 11 starts and $365,430. He began his career in California with Peter Eurton and was sent to Canani in New York for the second half of 2012. Called to Serve has won his last two starts – the Grade 3 Discovery Handicap at Aqueduct in November and the Broad Brush Stakes at Laurel in December.

Looks like "Booya!" is catching on as a response to Gary's ride in the Santa Maria.

I have to give him props for the level of success and continued determination. Frankly I stand corrected with what has done to date.

In all honesty I really thought he might not still have "it" and would have given up as he did the TVG gig, training gig, race partnership gig, acting gig, etc

He did a smart switch from riding at CD and now back out in California after a slump. It did shake him a bit and he thought for a while maybe he'd give it up. Opting for Churchill after Keeneland was a mistake:

Stevens, who has a home in Louisville, went winless in 21 mounts this meet, with three seconds and riding only one favorite. After Saturday’s Preakness victory on front-running longshot Oxbow, he made the remarkable admission that, while riding at Churchill, he questioned for the first time his decision to return to riding in January after seven years in retirement.

Stevens’ first win in a month came on $50 winner Skyring in Pimlico’s Longines Dixie Stakes the race before the Preakness, with both horses trained by D. Wayne Lukas and owned by resurgent Calumet Farm.

He described his business at Churchill as “zero,” and that some things hadn’t panned out as planned.

Stevens alluded to the quality – more specifically, lack thereof – of many of the cards, combined with short fields.

“This is not what I came for,” he said. “I came for Keeneland-type racing. And I’m proud of the three races I won there coming in late.”
    That said, back at Betfair Hollywood Park he nailed today (Memorial Day) the Grade 1 $250k Gamely Stakes in a thriller aboard Marketing Mix (replay in that link) which just adds to his reputation:

Stevens said he urged Marketing Mix a little earlier than expected to keep her in contention while running at less than her ideal distance.

“It was a perfect trip, and it was probably a furlong too short for her,” Stevens said. “I tried to get her wound up going into the stretch. [Leparoux] actually put a half-length or a neck on me, but my mare was getting wound up in the end.”

Marketing Mix, who races for Glen Hill Farm and trainer Tom Proctor, was timed in 1:47.24. A 5-year-old mare by Medaglia d’Oro, Marketing Mix has won 9 of 17 starts and $1,809,518.
    He's currently ranked (by mount earnings) 27th in North America with just 166 starts which almost as selective as Mike Smith with only 129 starts yet ranked 14th.

I bought and read his book, and thought it not only was well written, but had honesty and reality. Enjoyed the book, and glad he is back.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Another weekend where Gary has proven he still has gobs of talent and clearly is physically up to the task. Impressive for the 'old man'!

While Gary wasn't at Belmont for the Super Saturday (9/28/13) with 5 big graded races in a row he was at Santa Anita making the most of the graded races there.

Smaller purses but he still made the most of ever ride - - Gary Stevens had a season-best weekend at Santa Anita on Saturday and Sunday, winning four stakes. In fact he almost won a 5th but Rosie Napravnik (with her rare Cali appearance) beat him by a nose in the Grade 1 Chandler Stakes aboard with Secret Compas over She's a Tiger.

“I didn’t think in my wildest dreams it would be like this,” he said.

Stevens won two Grade 1 races Saturday – the Awesome Again Stakes with Mucho Macho Man and the Zenyatta Stakes with Beholder. He also won the minor Unzip Me Stakes with the promising filly Pontchatrain. On Sunday he won the $151,750 John Henry Turf Championship on Indy Point.

Stevens is developing a strong book of BC mounts, including Mucho Macho Man (BC Classic), Beholder (Distaff), She’s a Tiger (Juvenile Fillies), and Marketing Mix (Filly and Mare Turf). She’s a Tiger was second in Saturday’s Chandelier Stakes, while Marketing Mix was the runner-up in Saturday’s Rodeo Drive Stakes.

“It’s pretty exciting,” Stevens said.
    While only a few days into the Meet but Gary is firmly at the top the most wins and 2x the earnings (@ $600k) over #2, Julien Leparoux. Both riders are expected to be in Keeneland for the Fall Meet starting this weekend.

I've gotta hand it to him, I really do. I thought his "comeback" was kind of a self-serving publicity stunt.

But the man fits in a racing saddle as if he was born with one stitched to his butt. Seems he's happiest on a horse and it just took him a few years and a couple of career swaps to get back to where he belongs.

3 members found this post helpful.

Did I hear someone on HRTV say his son is a trainer? That would be a big surprise to me!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Did I hear someone on HRTV say his son is a trainer? That would be a big surprise to me!
    It's true with T.C. Stevens at Churchill Downs and getting his first win: See Gary's tweet from Sep 28th

Now that's a day. My son just won with his 5th starter as a trainer. $104 payoff. Happy dad. No I didn't bet. He can train. Thanks All
    Not all news is always good though - Stevens' mother had a stroke last week

1 members found this post helpful.