The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Laurie B you are amazing, and, may I say, you have FAR too much time on your hands to think of all those ponies and owners -- I had come up with 3 smalls and 3 larges [NB to you youngie's -- there were no mediums back then] just so I could answer my own question.

-- And Rexford -- How old are you? -- I thought you were just a tadpole way back when. How do you know this stuff????

On the MVR stuff -- I had heard that his name was really Marvin Rappaport, but he added the Van to make it less Jewish sounding (yes, folks, back in the "early days" horses were a very WASPish thing and non-WASP's were looked down upon...) -- As to Spindletop Count Fleet -- I think you mean Spindletop Fleet Sailor (Count Fleet was a Triple Crown winner, which is why you thought of the name). I rode with VHV in the '60's with Nancy Candib and was there the day Fleet Sailor arrived at Cedar Lodge -- I will always remember him as one of the most beautiful horses I have ever seen in my life. He took my breath away. My jr. horse was a good guy, but he was... just a horse... I remember being SO JEALOUS of Fleet Sailor that I tried to find just one thing that Willy (my boy) had that was better that FS -- I finally decided that FS's forelock was very wispy and that Willie had a nicer forelock LOL)

But how do you know all this about Nany Candib? She was never a big name in the riding world- I think she quit after her jr years and never won a finals or anything... In all honesty, I remember the horse more than I remember her (except that she plucked her eyebrows to a fine line when that was just starting to be the "in thing"...)

LH4 OK you smarties about the '60's..... Name another Spindletop horse that VHV purchased for a client -- give names before and after purchase and name of client.
    I found the perfect distance but they put the jump in the wrong place.

Re: Question about the mare and her daughter -- it HAS to be Sign the Card with Jane Womble (trained by Jimmy Lee) -- So MargaretF must be right. But something about the daughter's name sounds a little off --- Didn't Sign the Card have Turn The Card?

He owned a restaurant in nyc - can'r remeber the name, but that was also the name of his farm

May have already been answered but...

Among others: Please Note, Showdown, Sunshine, all when owned by Marvin had the prefix Spindletop.

Spindletop was his restaurant.

Sorry, the phone number is unfamiliar to me.

Although I did ride in the NE back then. Our colors were green with white trim. Name the farm and trainer.

were great she also had another yella horse a mare for triple points what is the mares name?
    Brilyntrip

was the name of Marvin Van Rappaport s farm only horse i can remember is Spindle top Showdown wh showed in amateurs and conformation
    Brilyntrip

Can anyone name the pony from that era that was champion at Washington, Harrisburg, and New York -riden by a well-known judge today. The pony was a 4 yr. old I believe.

Lord Helpus, that was my division back then. Most of those kids rode at my barn--as did Marvin Van Rapaport--and the rest were friends of mine. Sad to say (aging myself now) that I remember them more vividly than I do most of the people I showed against this past weekend. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
    Sad to say that I remember them more vividly than I do most of the people I showed against this past weekend. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This past weekend? Lets see now, Did I show this past weekend? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

LH6 (I think...)

One more that I can answer myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] so I know if people get it right or wrong:

Name 3 horses (and their riders) who did the equitation finals and then went on to become successful grand prix jumpers with those riders.

Um ... maybe I can get a partial answer right.

Could it be Sandsablaze? Dunno re the other two.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

How about Rome Dome and Kip Rosenthal?

I think Brooke H and Ticket also did jumpers.

Name the grey conf mare that was shown by Rodney Jenkins and in amateurs by her sunglass wearing mom?
    Also name the regular working hunters he showed in the following period 1973-75
    Brilyntrip

Just a guess, but would that be Jessica Tuchman's Dawn Treader. I think we must have been stable mates, but I was the kid from the wrong side of the tracks.

MargaretF, you are of course right re the Cards, but I made it too easy w/the Perfect Stranger clue! LOL
    brilyntrip, far too easy: Debbie Willson and Market Rise? LOL
    And the answer to your earlier question: Pnut Painter?

I didn't think anyone would remember !!! so how about his group of working horses ?? One was chestnut one was grey ??
    Brilyntrip

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brilyntrip:
    I didn't think anyone would remember !!! so how about his group of working horses ?? One was chestnut one was grey ??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we already did San Felipe (above) - Quiet Please was the chestnut, right?

And how about the name of your former college mate's (LOL) bay horse in the Maclay win? LOL

That's too easy, you're bound to know that - here's a harder one (which Emmett will know):

The name of the bay A/O horse successful
    w/Rodney and ridden by what then amateur who is now a pro recently movedto Pa.? Name horse and rider.

San Felipe was don ebut Quiet PLease isnt who I ma thinking about .This chestnut was owned by same owner as IDLE DICE
    Brilyntrip

Who is the grey, mare, small junior, who was beautiful and won quite a bit, but could be rather nasty on the ground and was shown by two sisters in the late 70's to early 80's. One of the sisters still rides and is married to a fairly well known horseman.