The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Alex and ShowJump are BOTH right -- I was thinking of Mrs Johnson and Super Flash and Fun and Games. Forgot they didn't have the A/A 's back then. Just goes to show you that, if Mrs Johnson could do the A/O's then we are wusses now about jumping 3'1"... Mrs. Johnson was the ultimate A/A rider. But she went in and rode around over those 3'6" jumps like a champ -- and occasionally got some nice ribbons.

LH2 --- Name atleast 3 of the original fancy ponies that took over the pony division in the early '60's and changed the pony world forever (both small and large). Extra credit for naming owners and riders.

LH3 Name two of Marvin Van Rappaport's horses and his farm name. Extra credit for knowing Marvin's business that enabled him to own these wonderful horses.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Yikes Lord Helpus, I'm afraid the '60's will even outdate me, but I'll guess: Tidbit, Wenol Bechan? Think that was much later....hmmm.

Marvin V.R.: Spindletop Showdown is one. The other's a Spindletop too, as I recall, but can't remember the name.

So what was the answer to the questions about Paige Johnson, et al...

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

I intended I.C.Blue Shadow, but VTRider insists Paige never rode that one. I think she's wrong, but will go w/the majority opinion! LOL

Is it true that there is a welsh pony names I believe Hillcrest Better than Blue who was named for IC Blue Shadow in a way?

You and I come from the same era!

Marvin's horses included Spindletop Showdown, Spindletop Please Note and Spindletop Midtown. His nightclub, Spindletop, in NYC financed the horses.

Fancy ponies in the sixties:
    Smalls: Midget, Chantilly, Driftwood, Cockscrow Flair, Crepe Suzette, Wizard of Oz, Highfields Town and Country

Larges: Pride 'n Joy, Prim 'n Proper, Neat n' Tidy, Rebel, Flying Mouse, Hot Shot Kid, Keswick, Thorwell

I could go on and on. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

LH3 -- Spindletop Showdown.... It was Spindletop Farm. Can't think of names of other horses although I know they are in my memory bank somewhere right next to the information about what business he was in.....

I rode a jumper out on Long Island a few times in the mid-70s who was called Klondike Kat that I was told Marvin Rappaport had owned, but I never did trust the person who told me that. He was a big chestnut, TB I assume, and I jumped my only 4' course on him.

You wanted owners and riders too? Yikes, this could take a while.

Midget: Nancy Baroody, Syndy Paul
    Driftwood: Gail Hulick, Syndy Paul
    Chantilly: Waverly Farm, Syndy Paul
    Cockscrow Flair: Lucie McKinney
    Crepe Suzette: Syndy Paul
    Wizard of Oz: owned by the Burrs, ridden by Puddy Jones
    Highfields Town and Country: Barbara Ulrichsen, Debbie Wolfe

Pride 'n Joy: Laurie Snyder, Nancy Baroody
    Prim n' Proper: Debbie Cahn
    Neat n' Tidy: James Hulick
    Rebel: Judy Korn
    Flying Mouse: Jane Leasure
    Hot Shot Kid: Terry Rudd, Susie Rudd
    Keswick: Peter Wetherill
    Thorwell: Karen Nolte

Do I get the bonus now? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Here's a tough one and will show who the REAL trivia fans are: Two bays, one a TOP a/o mare in the 70's, winning many times at Indoors and probably more championships than any a/o horse before or since; the other, with a related name, out of the first horse, also champion many times in the regulars in the '90's. Both trained by the same trainer.

Oh dear, I am REALLY guessing here, but is the first one Kim's Song, the wonderful horse owned by Bruce Duchossios?

No clue about the second....

was named in reference to I.C. Blue Shadow. Both ponies were started at Road's End in the later 80's. Can't recall who rode I.C. first, before she went to Alison, but Kim Vernell rode Better Than Blue first and then he went to Goodmans and I am not sure at what point he "became" a medium.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MargaretF:
    Oh dear, I am REALLY guessing here, but is the first one Kim's Song, the wonderful horse owned by Bruce Duchossios?

No clue about the second....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope.......and wasn't Kim's Song a chestnut?

Major clue: first horse owned by same person who was also winning with Perfect Stranger.

Jane Womble (Gaston now) I can't remember the horse's name.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by schmoe: I am not sure at what point he "became" a medium.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the late eighties (88/89) - Pretty cool to win the Nat'l Small and Nat'l Med Pony Hunter Championships on the same pony LOLOL!

All right, well obviously I don't mind making a complete fool of myself so I am going to guess again.

Sign the Card
    The Winning Card

Trained by Walter Lee (Belcourt Farm dedicated to quality)

Okay, just slap me down now....

LH2. Midget and Nancy Broody. Do I get extra points for knowing her brothers name was David?
    Smokey Joe and any or all of the Boyce�s.
    Serendipity and Margaret Houseman
    Penny Loeb and all of her ponies

LH3 Spindletop Showdown and Spindletop Count Fleet, later bought by Nancy Candib. (Pretty Smart, huh?) And his dining establishment was the Spindletop. Did ja know that his name wasn�t van Rapport, but Marvin Rapport and van was his middle name?

Right on, but that was an easy one.

Here's a hard one. What famous trainer in CT had a phone # of Davis 2-1590. If you get this one I know you were a student of his

Margaret, Thats the horse I couldn't think of. I think you are right. Hopefully Alex will come back and let us know. Lord Helpus probably knows the answer too.

I thought I had heard that and always thought it was a cute name. I would imagine Vida Blue comes into those lines somewhere?

But on behalf of anyone who every trained with Bob McDonald I am assuming that Fun and Games is not the same one who was in California with Kim Ostman.
    EDDIE WOULD GO