The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

OK, I have a real problem. I just moved into a new neighborhood and found a new dog park just down the street. Around 6pm, all the neighbors bring their dogs out, with beverages in hand...it's really a social gathering type thing.

So, my dog Loulou (a 7 year old brindle English Boxer) runs out to play with the other dogs and the owners all grab the their pets like she is the Creature from the Black Lagoon. One lady shreiks: "boy or girl?" to which I calmly reply: "umm...I'm a boy, she's a girl." Then, she relays to the others, "its okay, she's a girl!" Wassup with all that? Then, this other lady says to her dog, "it's okay, you are STILL alpha female, Shirley." I wanted to bust out laughing at these morons!

This clique appears to be quite important, right up there with the Trilateral Commission, the Junior League, or The Masons. They won't let Loulou play with their dogs, and when she ran after a tennis ball thrown for another dog, an audible gasp was evident from the gallery.

I'm afraid poor Loulou will suffer some psychological setbacks from these Mini-Van driving, chardonnay sipping, Sam's Club shopping social climbers and their little dogs, too!

I've tried to give Loulou the best upbringing, sent her to the best schools (Hockaday, Bryn Mawr, and her junior year abroad), a wonderful debutante season (she wowed them in Charleston with her perfectly executed Texas Dip!), etc. My hope is that she will meet a nice King Charles Spaniel with a good dot-com portfolio.

Whatever should I do?? Your help will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to inform these yahoos that my board bill is higher than their mortgages, but that wouldn't be very nice, huh?

OK, I have a real problem. I just moved into a new neighborhood and found a new dog park just down the street. Around 6pm, all the neighbors bring their dogs out, with beverages in hand...it's really a social gathering type thing.

So, my dog Loulou (a 7 year old brindle English Boxer) runs out to play with the other dogs and the owners all grab the their pets like she is the Creature from the Black Lagoon. One lady shreiks: "boy or girl?" to which I calmly reply: "umm...I'm a boy, she's a girl." Then, she relays to the others, "its okay, she's a girl!" Wassup with all that? Then, this other lady says to her dog, "it's okay, you are STILL alpha female, Shirley." I wanted to bust out laughing at these morons!

This clique appears to be quite important, right up there with the Trilateral Commission, the Junior League, or The Masons. They won't let Loulou play with their dogs, and when she ran after a tennis ball thrown for another dog, an audible gasp was evident from the gallery.

I'm afraid poor Loulou will suffer some psychological setbacks from these Mini-Van driving, chardonnay sipping, Sam's Club shopping social climbers and their little dogs, too!

I've tried to give Loulou the best upbringing, sent her to the best schools (Hockaday, Bryn Mawr, and her junior year abroad), a wonderful debutante season (she wowed them in Charleston with her perfectly executed Texas Dip!), etc. My hope is that she will meet a nice King Charles Spaniel with a good dot-com portfolio.

Whatever should I do?? Your help will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to inform these yahoos that my board bill is higher than their mortgages, but that wouldn't be very nice, huh?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Poor LouLou... Isn't just awful when our poor little four footed children have to learn about this awful discrimination? Don't you just bet Loulou was dying to tell the other dogs that her Zest of the West color was tres more cool and expensive than the other dogs' entire annual vet bill? Of course, Loulou is much more well bred than them, so I am sure she just flashed them a tasteful shoulder [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Next time you are headed this way, just bring Loulou up here and she can play with Casey the Corgi to her heart's content (of course, we may have to play one-upmanship on our board bills [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On the other hand, I think I would get to know the lady who called Shirley an alpha dog... I think I might recognize a fellow sarcastic soul!

[This message has been edited by DMK (edited 10-12-2000).]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

DMK, Loulou is a FEMALE!! Please don't add gender confusion to her list of potential woes.

I find your post utterly insensitive and highly offensive! And don't even THINK about emailing me!!! (Sorry, I am the only person who hasn't had a chance to say that recently...couldn't resist!!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

well, hmmmphhh! I should say I retract my offer of inviting Loulou to come play with Casey, and would ask YOU not to e-mail ME... there, now I too have had a chance to invoke the dreaded E-Mail Ban...

What reference to "he"? I don't see any reference to gender confusion... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Oh....sly dog, you are! All sanctions are now lifted.

sly dog, eh? no pun intended, I am quite sure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I shudder to think what would happen if I brought my favorite mutt to this soiree.

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

Better yet, take your non-Jack Russell (in our case a Lab puppy) to an 'A' show and watch the expression of horror and pity spread across people's faces, as they're bitten in the ankle by their lovely critters.

My favourite contemplation has been to muse, "you see that Hannovarian who just won the high prelim class, he costs more than your house."

My kickass lab MUTT would love to come play with your pup!
    He once out swam a PEDIGREED golden retreiver. The retreivers owner was sooooooo mad that he leashed his dog and left.
    Those people are truly rude. I hope they step in a big pile of your doggie's poop.
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

Not if he eats it first...

Loulou would do great at "A" shows, as her collar and leash are matching havana bridle-quality leather.

Maybe I should go to Sam's and buy one of those big ole lasagnas and cater this evenings "gathering" (sounds like a coven!).

A case of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay might make you the hit of the park-y... and of course, Sam's sells those cute little baby quiches...

These people probably think Kendall Jackson plays for the Denver Broncos. (Ooooo, I feel so mean!)

Actually, this neighborhood is really great! It is in a "hysterical district" and all the houses are old and mostly renovated.

The dog park is on the levee, right by the banks of the mighty Mississippi. Just across the river is downtown New Orleans and the French Quarter.

Perhaps I should just play nice and not go off on these few snotty-for-no-reason people.

DMK - Are baby quiches taken away from their parents too soon and sold? I'd hate that to be the case. I personally like the Pueblo Pies from Sam's.

DMK - Are baby quiches taken away from their parents too soon and sold?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Oh Jeb, I don't want to horrify you with the awful plight of the poor baby quiches... I had NO idea you were a quiche rights activist.

I'm not sure I personally can contemplate the horrors of a crowd that does not recognize a good bottle of KJ, unless of course, it is because they prefer Cakebread or Toasted Head. On the other hand, if they are not the KJ or better yet, Cakebread crowd, I can recommend several brands of "Wine in a Box" that may appeal to them...

Also, if they are also quiche rights activists, maybe you can buy several boxes from Sams and in an act of kindness, let them free on the levee, whilst you sip your tumblers of boxed wine?

DMK - box-o-wine, probably right on the money there.

As for activism...here's my battle cry:

"What do we want?" QUICHE RIGHTS!!
    "When do we want it?" AFTER BRUNCH!!

Jeb.. first... ROTFLMAO... second... I strongly recommend the Piggly Wiggly box brand [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My mom always buys baby quiches. I always thought they were kind of weird. Saurkraut balls are more my speed. They are sooo cute and round.

SAVE THE QUICHES! BEAT THE EGGS!

Piggly Wiggly!! How funny!! Why do we have the weirdest grocery stores in the south? I think they have Jitney Jungles in Mississippi. And I thought Harris-Teeter was weird, until I went into one...very cool.

Actually, I stopped in a country grocery store in Mississippi once and they had small bags of clay for sale....TO BE EATEN! I always thought that was a wives tale about folks eating clay. Something to do with mineral deficiencies, I think. BTW - What kind of wine do you serve with clay?

Now I have strayed from my own topic...oh, it just doesn't matter anymore.