The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 113
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    30,689

    Default

    Dunno about OP, she does not "do H/J", has never seen GM teach but has read some stuff so suggests we sit and waste time bashing and offering our criticism of somebody who has been teaching 50 years. But she is "not a troll, just wanted some entertainment".

    Funny definition of "entertainment" there for anybody over 12.

    Arrogant? Yup, you bet. If OP was in H/J and had actually seen him teach in the past few years? She'd know he is not what he was so the whole discussion of inappropriate remarks and outright insults to riders, which nobody denies were said, occurred some years back and are ancient history. Why dredge it up 10 to 30 years later?

    Oh...if a rider watches 4 others do an excercise? Then goes out and does it wrong? Or makes the same mistake over and over and over? Or shows no sign of improvement? They will not get a pat on the head to preserve their self esteem.

    Lots of trainers out there if you don't care for the old school of thought that you pay somebody to tell you what's wrong, not make you feel good. Lots out there that strike a balance between two extremes too.

    And I can name several other big names that have the office staff hiding under their desks when they come into the trailer, no monopoly on that one.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2000
    Location
    Chatham, NY USA
    Posts
    4,098

    Default

    I rode one clinic with him - under duress, as the owner of the very green TB I was riding and expected to take to his very first show (First Year Green) the following weekend told me that the horse was going to this clinic, with or without me.

    Within 5 minutes - and a few comments - George had decided I didn't know what I was doing; called us all in and asked (in general, but VERY pointedly) if there was anyone having trouble who would like him to get on their horse. You BETCHA. A few strides into a sitting trot "This horse doesn't like you to sit on his back. Is he sound?" Yup, vet tested & passed. About a quarter way around the ring - "You really need to sort of balance on him without really sitting on him". (My doing exactly that was what caught his attention in the first place.)

    The next afternoon, he had us lined up again and I happened to be looking into the sun. That plus hard hat as opposed to Caliente I usually rode in = headache, and it must have shown. Another comment. I apologized for "the look" and explained the headache.

    At the end of the day, after successfully getting through the largest combination this horse had ever seen, I received a lovely compliment.

    So - point of all this is NOT bragging - it's simply proof that George is not an ogre, and does not find a fault and hold it against you forever.

    I wonder if he sometimes doesn't think he has a reputation to live up to (I'm talking about the ogre-rep here) and says the things he does because people expect it.

    C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast



  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    30,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    I wonder if he sometimes doesn't think he has a reputation to live up to (I'm talking about the ogre-rep here) and says the things he does because people expect it.
    C
    Indeed, he has told quite a few people, self included, that people have come to expect something from him and feel cheated if they don't get it. So he obliges. However, unlike years well past, he sticks to riding and it is well deserved-most watching these days can see it coming.

    He's still not passing out any warm fuzzies but nothing like he was notorious for years back. Just the truth without any sugar coating mostly.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2011
    Location
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here
    Posts
    3,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    YES.

    George Morris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

    George Morris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

    George Morris can sit in the corner of a circular room.

    When George Morris went to Paris, the Eiffel Tower had it's picture taken with him.

    Some magicians can walk on water. George Morris can swim through land.
    He doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers dos equis
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"



  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    He doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers dos equis



  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2012
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    He doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers dos equis
    Perfect.



  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2004
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    He doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers dos equis



  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2003
    Location
    Up the creek from bar.ka
    Posts
    10,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    I read this joke on COTH years and years ago...

    A lady equestrian died and went to Heaven. When she got there, Saint Peter was showing her around. She asked to be taken to the stables to see the horses. When they arrived, there was a man running around, shouting, telling everyone what to do and being rather unpleasant about it.
    "Who's that?" the lady asked.
    "Oh, that's just God," Saint Peter replied. "He thinks he's George Morris."
    This made me snort out loud. Good joke.



  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    He doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers dos equis
    Yeah, this is def. my new sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis



  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2008
    Location
    (The Woodlands - Tomball, Tx)
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Or you could just look it up on wikipedia.
    His DOB wasn't in his Wikipedia article yesterday. I stuck it in there today after doing some digging around on the Web. (I found it one place, eventually.)
    Last edited by altjaeger; May. 24, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

    freespeling



  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2011
    Location
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here
    Posts
    3,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    Yeah, this is def. my new sig.
    You made my week!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"



  12. #72
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2009
    Location
    Dairyville USA
    Posts
    2,979

    Default

    of course, no GM thread would be complete without mention of this wondrous thread: GM Appalled by disco spurs
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.



  13. #73
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2007
    Location
    The secret garden
    Posts
    95

    Default

    MHM, get over yourself. I do not need to do anything. I don't ride hunters, nor would I clinic with him if I did. If you had better reading comprehension, you would notice I was just asking for stories. Not justifications for people respecting him. I don't need to take myself elsewhere, as this is my thread, in which I asked a question out of curiosity. I am not ragging on him. Out of the thousands of complains people write behind his back, I wanted to know if anyone mentioned their gripes to his face.

    Also, people pay him for his horsemanship and riding skills and he is clearly a great horseman and rider. I don't think anyone can deny that and he definitely should be respected for those skills. That doesn't mean that he can't be disrespected for his people skills or unkindness. That's like saying Hitler should be respected because he was a genius when it came to brainwashing, even though he was a monster to so many poor Jewish citizens. Yes, so lets all cower in fear and awe of people that possess any type of highly classified skill (just because of that skills, even though they haven't earned it for being a decent human being!), even if they are an ass. Perfectly logical. The ENTIRE PERSON doesn't have to be respected as a person if it's not deserving, no matter their skills.



  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2004
    Location
    Rolling hills of Virginny
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Yes, let's compare GM to Hitler, because genocide is exactly as bad as GM making rude comments.

    You know it's gonna go downhill when someone mentions Hitler as a justification for whatever pot of shit they're stirring.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.



  15. #75
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2007
    Location
    The secret garden
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Maybe we should change this to a "What would you say to him if you could" thread! Sounds like fun. Someone said it's only an insult if it's true, so I guess there are plenty of things that people can say to him that are "well, it's only true!," "I am only being blunt."

    How does being a good rider and horseman equate to being able to be rude and unkind without repercussions? Respect is only earned from treating others respectfully. People have it all wrong. His horsemanship can be respected without his attitude being respected.

    I say let's just have fun with this!



  16. #76
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2007
    Location
    Burbank, California
    Posts
    721

    Default The Hitler card? Really?

    Quote Originally Posted by OceansAway View Post
    That's like saying Hitler should be respected because he was a genius when it came to brainwashing, even though he was a monster to so many poor Jewish citizens. Yes, so lets all cower in fear and awe of people that possess any type of highly classified skill (just because of that skills, even though they haven't earned it for being a decent human being!), even if they are an ass. Perfectly logical. The ENTIRE PERSON doesn't have to be respected as a person if it's not deserving, no matter their skills.
    Yep, that's totally what it's like saying.

    [wanders off down the hall for some popcorn...]

    I think some cowering in fear may need to be done re: where this thread is about to go.
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)



  17. #77
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Location
    You must never go there, Simba.
    Posts
    3,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    His DOB wasn't in his Wikipedia article yesterday. I stuck it in there after doing some digging around on the Web. (I found it one place, eventually.)
    My point was that his birthday has absolutely nothing to do with the hearing being referenced. It was more a comment on the awkward attempts at trolldom than anything.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris



  18. #78
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2008
    Location
    (The Woodlands - Tomball, Tx)
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Please, the OP wasn't comparing G.M. to Hitler. She was making the point that just because someone is talented in some respects (I would have chosen Hitler's oratorical skills to make the point.), it doesn't mean that he isn't open to criticism in other areas.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

    freespeling



  19. #79
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2002
    Location
    Area VIII, Region 2, Zone 5.
    Posts
    6,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceansAway View Post
    MHM, get over yourself. I do not need to do anything. I don't ride hunters, nor would I clinic with him if I did. If you had better reading comprehension, you would notice I was just asking for stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    And as for GM saying "You're fat!"?? Its only an insult if it isn't true.
    Quote Originally Posted by OceansAway View Post
    Maybe we should change this to a "What would you say to him if you could" thread! Sounds like fun. Someone said it's only an insult if it's true...
    You're questioning someone's reading comprehension? That's rich. Maybe you're the one who needs to get over yourself.
    Last edited by SillyHorse; May. 24, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb



  20. #80
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2010
    Posts
    3,506

    Default

    [QUOTE=findeight;6334797]Indeed, he has told quite a few people, self included, that people have come to expect something from him and feel cheated if they don't get it. So he obliges. However, unlike years well past, he sticks to riding and it is well deserved-most watching these days can see it coming.

    He's still not passing out any warm fuzzies but nothing like he was notorious for years back. Just the truth without any sugar coating mostly.[/QUOTE]

    I agree, but only to a point. GM does deserve a lot of respect for what he has done for the H/J Industry in the country. However, that doesn't give him the right to tell people they are "dumb as a traffic cone" or to make blond jokes. If someone isn't listening or has zoned out, I think he is justified *at the most* in yelling at them with something like "if you can't listen to instructions, then don't come to my clinics". Insulting someone's intelligence with comments about how stupid they are, well that is completely unacceptable.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 59
    Last Post: Sep. 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
  2. Thank You, George Morris!
    By lalahartma1 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 5, 2010, 08:20 AM
  3. What Would George Morris say?
    By 5 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Sep. 15, 2009, 08:53 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr. 6, 2009, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness