The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Oliver Townend whines about money, repeats fiction about air-vest in the Independent

Oliver Townend: Gold top for milkman's son?

"I was No 1 in the world in 2009 and I did not gain anything from that," Townend said. "Nothing changed in my life. I still had to go and sell a horse the next day."
    Boo hoo. What exactly did he think was going to happen?

I really dislike OT for many reasons. This article just reinforces my dislike for him.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I hope (for O.T.'s sake) that the article was poorly written and his words taken out of context.

Otherwise, what a horrible chip he has on his shoulder.

Surprising to me, for a person so lucky to have so many gripes.. We all have bad days, too bad to be interviewed during one of them , if that is the case.

I hope he has a friend who will (figuratively) knock some sense into him...

I actually liked the article.
    Pamela Ellis

I just didn't read it that way. To me, it came across as saying that just because you sit on top of this sport for a time, you don't have a major windfall of cash to carry you through for life. I don't see why that is considered whining and not telling a reporter about the realities of the sport, particularly when people just don't undstand why a rider trying to make a team would sell their best horses.

I don't know much about him other than his eventing record but this article was very obviously written with a particular viewpoint. From start to finish the writer was trying to show all the different things that come into play to make the Olympic team and how $$ comes into play in this sport. I can see how frustrating it can be. When they announced at Rolex how much WFP would win if he took the grand slam of eventing $350,000 sounded like a small amount considering all the riders have to do to accomplish something like that. Just flying your horses across the ocean seems a daunting task to me. To survive all three phases at this year's Rolex was a feat unto itself. Look at the FedEx Cup for Golf, the player wins $10million on top of the several million they have already made that year and all the advertising money for the top ones. I understand eventing does not have the draw of eventing especially in the US but it is very popular in the UK as a spectator sport apparently. I can really see a reason to write an article about it and use the Milkman's boy as the example. From just reading this article I would not think he was a bad guy.

FairWeather, I'm with you. I've never had a whole lot of respect for Ollie but to me, this article makes him sound like he's grown up a little.

I do wonder, in the list of possible Olympians named in this article, what has become of Tina Cook and Miners Frolic? Any inside scoop on her?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    I just didn't read it that way. To me, it came across as saying that just because you sit on top of this sport for a time, you don't have a major windfall of cash to carry you through for life. I don't see why that is considered whining and not telling a reporter about the realities of the sport, particularly when people just don't undstand why a rider trying to make a team would sell their best horses.
    Agree...........it was refreshingly brutally honest and I saw no pity party but rather lets lift our skirts and show the undies of the business.
    Eventers more than most equestrians scramble way harder for less money. Yet produce a much less advertised and supplimented thrill a minute sport .

Guess I must be out in left field, as I didn't take the article as whine and cheese either.

I'm also of the opinion that the article is not particularly whiney. It does discuss class, which is a huge deal in England. And it is pretty amazing that a milkman's son has made a career eventing. Reading between the lines, it would appear that Oliver left school at 16, did not go to university, and basically worked his way to where he is today. He has some rough edges for sure, but class matters over there and it permeates the culture. Your accent, your appearance, where you went to school.....it all ties to class. I don't think we can appreciate it as Americans because our culture is less socially stratified.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I guess I'm missing something, too. I didn't get pity-party at all from that article. In fact, it was nice to hear an honest take of the business end of the sport from someone who isn't financed by zillionaires and running around the globe buying 1/4 million dollar horses.

I especially liked the line about a royal and a milkman's son competing against each other and being friends at the end of the day.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

Gosh, people can't win, can they? Someone like Georgina Bloomberg or Jessica Springsteen wins a Grand Prix and all anyone can talk about is daddy's money. Someone acknowledges he's hard-luck and all anyone can talk about is what a rube he is.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Guess I must be out in left field, as I didn't take the article as whine and cheese either.
    Agree PM. Reality hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    Agree PM. Reality hurts!
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Melody View Post
    Someone acknowledges he's hard-luck and all anyone can talk about is what a rube he is.
    Ollie Townend is "hard-luck"? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Ollie Townend is "hard-luck"? Seriously?
    I'm speaking generally. Would "hard-scrabble" be better? The point is the same. I'm just amused and annoyed that no one can talk about money without getting pounced on, whichever side of the scale they happen to be on. I can appreciate OT's frankness, even if I personally wouldn't air my financial business in a newspaper. The article's not perfect but you know, people seem to always find a problem with articles about niche sports.

We loathe outliers, I guess. Too much money = hate. No money at all = hate. I thought it was a little gritty, but that's sort of OK with me since we all have our little gritty edges. And he's not the only one convinced an air vest saved his life . . . going to be hard to convince him otherwise. *shrug*

I thought it was pretty good.
    Click here before you buy.

I liked the article and saw no whining, just a reality-check of the fact that this sport does cost money to be competitive.

I'm of the opinion that if you want to make money -- in larger increments than £65,000 ($100,000) you get for winning Badminton/Burghley or the £250,000 (approx) you'd make for selling an on-the-way-up top horse -- then choose a different career. Showjumping, perhaps, or banking.

OT has gone on about his mortgage for how many years now? If you're winning the occasional $100,000 prize and regularly selling 6-figure horses and have a string of owners and you still have mortgage woes, you've made an untenable decision regarding your choice of property. That's reality.

OT's war of attrition has not been limited to horse sales. There's also the crashes and the soundness issues. I'm not sure you can blame those on economics or mortgages. I'd think it has something to do with horsemanship.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I'm of the opinion that if you want to make money -- in larger increments than £65,000 ($100,000) you get for winning Badminton/Burghley or the £250,000 (approx) you'd make for selling an on-the-way-up top horse -- then choose a different career. Showjumping, perhaps, or banking.

OT has gone on about his mortgage for how many years now? If you're winning the occasional $100,000 prize and regularly selling 6-figure horses and have a string of owners and you still have mortgage woes, you've made an untenable decision regarding your choice of property. That's reality.

OT's war of attrition has not been limited to horse sales. There's also the crashes and the soundness issues. I'm not sure you can blame those on economics or mortgages. I'd think it has something to do with horsemanship.
    So it's personal. You just don't like OT. It's really none of my business what you get your knickers in a twist about, but since you seem ok with strangers telling others how to live their lives: If you don't like the way OT runs his business, try ignoring it. It's really quite easy!