The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Pine Top side of Atlanta, GA

Default Dressage saddle flap length?

I'm beginning to look and try different dressage saddles for my horse. I play at eventing, have a jump saddle but ready to take the plunge again and get myself a dressage saddle. It's been years since I've had one so here's my question: in order to best use your leg, when it's draped around your horse, where on the leg should the flap end? I hate going into something as expensive as saddle shopping without some knowledge on my end (and my OTTB is a total princess and the pea, gelding or not so you can't believe how difficult saddle fitting/shopping is for him!) Would love some thoughts from all the dressage folks - thanks in advance!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

i personally would love to have one that ended just below my knee... instead being a shorty n all mine goes halfway down my calf lol!

it depends on your leg length and preference- I am 5'2" (almost) and ride in a "short flap" dressage saddle, very comfortable and allows me to use my leg, and get it on the horse effectively. (Custom saddelry monoflap saddle)

SW WA

I'm also a shorty and require a short flap, typically I will look for something with. 15-15.5" flap so it falls a few inches below the knee, which is hard to find in my price range. Never will forget the day I tried my short flap for the first time and realized "Oh, so that's how you're supposed to feel!" :P

Andover, MA

Short flaps can be hard to find, but there are some brands that have shorter "regular" flaps. Frank Baines and Neidersuss are two I know of (I ride in a FB Capriole.) I am also 5'2" and have short femurs but longer lower legs... I actually found that really short flaps do not work for me; a flap around 16 inches is the best.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

There WILL BE No Too-Long-Flapped-Saddles for the shortie with dollars that are the same dimensions as everyone else's.

Also, there WILL BE NO TALLIES telling shorties that this crap is normal, when the tallies don't do it.

The latter-day Joan Crawford
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat